Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tempurpedic Adjustable Bed!

itsjackieohiitsjackieoh Posts: 111
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Good News
Wow, this was hands down the best thing I could have done for myself! I now have a little slice of heaven no matter how much I hurt. I look at is at a medical device, next we'll see if my CPA is in agreement!

• Glad I saw your post, we are going bed shopping on Monday and are thinking this is the only kind of mattress we should even consider.
    Did you happen to get the split version with remote controls??
    I'm hoping that you'll post again as you become more aware of what this sleep system is doing for you.
  • Jackie,

Congrats! I bought the split option, fully adjustable "cloud" with massage therapy. Heaven can be an understatement! (G) In Florida, if you have a prescription, they take all the taxes off the purchase price. Happy Tempur dreams!! :) Oh, I've had mine now for about a month and a half, and it is fully broken in now...takes about 30 days as they told me.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes, it is going to take a while to break in. My adult kids have been walking on it for me, and it is getting softer every day.
    I took my time, maybe 2 months looking before I decided on the Celebrity. My body responded best with the higher density foam.
    I was not looking for a Tempur, but once I tried one I knew it would be the best thing I could do for myself.
    It is nice to know that I have 90 days if I change my mind about the model, but I think I will stay with this one.
    I try to buy locally when possible. I was very fortunate to find a great local store that just kept offering discounts because I bought it to help with my back pain. I ended up with 2 free Deluxe pillows, $300.00 off the ergo base and no sales tax!
    I am single and bought the queen. If I do end up with a partner we would need to get the King duel adjustable. I am the type of person who likes my own zip code while I sleep! The massage features are fantastic!
    Now on to inventing that remote...

• Hummm... Haven't tried that. I wonder if mine will get softer if I do that? Me, I love to sink in like "a cloud" when I sleep. :)

What's funny is initially I went into the Mattress store for a "Sleep Number", and when I found out the maintenance issues, and weakness of the Sleep Number, I started laying on the Tempurs. I am badly allergic to Latex, and so Sealy was out of the running.

My fusions are screwed up, and I was getting headaches really bad when I had my prior mattress. Now when I wake, if I have one Aspirin will take care of them! I am very glad I got mine, price and all!!! :)

I like that analogy of "sleeping in your own zip code", lol... I am the same! (G)

• I wish I would of know about the tax thing. I just got a temperpedic. Having some trouble with the hardness but I think it also takes some getting used to. Can you get a medical and take taxes off when filing?

Also I was told it is cheaper to buy the adjustable unit later. When we get more cash we are going to do that. The bed and the adjustable was really expensive.

• Angela,

Not sure of course it is that way in all states, but I would guess it is. :)

I vary everyday how I sleep in so far as head support, legs/feet etc. I just know it is hard to 'get out' of bed sometimes!!! (G)

• Ok, Here's my 2 cents on adjustable beds having owned 2 in the last 3 years. First rule of thumb, go wireless if you have a puppy. lol Mine chewed the cord on my craftmatic, and recked it. Little Devil!!! }:) I could not get a replacement cord, and I tried.
    Now here is my actually issue with tempurpedic,or any memory foam matresses that I have found. LOve that mattress new. In year or so after you breaking in. I found that the bed will engulf you, and you can't move out of that spot. You are stuck! The warrenty won't do you much good, because when they come out to look at it. It has to have a 2 inch sag, and mine didn't. So I couldn't get a new mattress. I had choice that mattress had to go my back couldn't take it. Found out to late that I should of laid on it before they came, so the 2 inch sag would of been there. So remember that for future reference.
    So after researching the internet, reading everything about mattress, adjustable bases,and pricing. I bought a new queen size adjustable bed off the internet. Adjustable bases are pretty much made by one company, but sold under all kinds of different names. With adjustable beds you can only put certain types of matrress on them due to the up, and down motion. You have specially made coil mattress, but will start wearing after 5 yrs with coils poking thru. Memory foam you have saging, and lastly you have new type matrtess made out of latex. Latex mattresses are heavy. My queen weighs 200lbs, so try moving it with a bad back (NOT!).

I went with the latex. They say that people with latex allergies can use them. I have had my mattress now for almost 2 yrs, and no saging. It's as comfortable as the day I bought it, and I'm in my bed at least 12 hrs a day. All I have to do is turn it. No flipping. Thank God! From what I researched they are suppose to last 20 yrs, and so far it's beat my memory foam matress all to heck, and my old (slept on for not even 2 yrs) pillow top mattress.
    But like they say, to each their own! But I couldn't take that sunkin stuck feeling.
    Bobbi Jo
  • I was so pleased to learn about the talalay latex producing very little emissions during manufacturing, having no "off gassing", like my Tempur is now, having the very long warranty, price, fitting on an adjustable bed. I think I covered all the attractive aspects...

Then I laid down on the Tempur and my body just said, thank you!
    It was at that point I realized the latex had the opposite effect of the Tempur. The latex was soft, but in a springy way. The latex pushed up against my body instead of my body sinking down into it.

In my humble opinion it is a matter of personal preference and personal experience.

Hopefully my lovely new bed does not turn into a sagging mess that I can't get out of in a few years.

My bed is getting softer every day, and the walking on it has helped tremendously.

This bed has helped lift my spirits. It has been quite some time since I could say I slept well. My spine has just been through so much. It has affected every area of my life in profound ways.

• Bobby Jo,

I've had several things suggested to me that were "Latex" friendly, and it sent me into a blistering allergy result! (G) I bought a thoracic brace that had "trace elements of Latex from processing - I have 3 new scars on my abdomen from the blisters!!! If I see "Latex" in anything, I don't touch it with a ten foot pole!! [(

For me, so far my Tempur has been the ticket for me. I will keep in mind what you found after long term use however. I know so far, whew, I can actually sleep!!! I sure hope mine doesn't do what yours did. Thanks for the possible heads up!!!

• Brenda, I have to thank you for your post. It reminded me of something I forgot to meantion, which may come in handy for anyone looking to buy a mattress. Anyway I'll get to that. Hate to see that you're so allergic to latex. Not good. Friend of mine has that, and it causes some major issues. So I can sympathies with you. Glad I could help you in case yours starts to sag.

Jackie, you are right. It's all personal preference, and that latex foam pushes up, and you don't sink in. I hope yours doesn't sag. That sucks if it happens. Now my latex mattress, which is solid latex. It has a 3 inch plush topper on it, so it give, so you sink in, and then you hit the latex core. This latex core gives you support, because its solid.

Now what you reminded me to share. There are 2 types of latex. One is solid latex, which remain supportive after years of use. The other is latex foam, which work on the lines of memory foam. It sags just like memory foam, but it's not nearly as heavy as a solid latex. I can actually move the queen size mattress by myself, and I can't lift more then 40lbs. Also because it's latex foam it cost more then memory foam.

There is also 2 different types of solid latex. One is man made, and cost a little less. The other is all natural latex, so it's green and good for the environment. I forgot the specific names, but 1's Dunlope, and the other Talalay
  • I hope everyone is still enjoying the beds you have all talked about.
    Angelanc, is your bed softening up a but yet?
    It is so nice to know that I now have a little slice of heaven in my world. I have been in so much pain lately that I actually "shut it all down" whenever I need to and go to bed for an hour or as long as I need to.
    I love the Comfort Pillows as well. They are large enough that I use one to lean back against and one between my knees or lower legs.
    Wishing everyone a day of less pain and more comfort...
  • I love my Tempurpedic bed.
    We could not afford the adjustable bed, but we love the tempurpedic mattress!
  • I want one SOOO BAD, but with my horse not selling I just couldn't justify it. But I want it. Bad.
  • Remember you can deduct this on your taxes as medical equipment,as long as your doctor agrees it is helpful to you! I was also able to do this for my zero gravity recliner.

I couldn't live without either of them!

• One trick? Before I got my adjustable bed, we got a moderate size piece of wood and cut it into a wedge, and put it under the head of the mattress. Granted not adjustable, but gives (gave me) a more comfy angle to sleep in. :) Just a thought....

• happyHBmom said:
    I want one SOOO BAD, but with my horse not selling I just couldn't justify it. But I want it. Bad.

I know the store I bought mine from had a rather liberal finance (zero interest) package. You can take either a year or 2 years, also interest free to pay it off. I took the one year option, and am probably paying the balance off in like 2 months (6 months early) and no penalty if paid off early.

And yes, my taxes were taken off thanks to my GP's script. You just show it to the store manager, they make a copy and zing - tax free! :)

• Also, HappyHBmom, I really hope that there is one in the future for you ;)
  • Emily..great point for medical deduction. Since I had a fusion in same year I bought the bed I don't think it will be questioned.

The bed has not gotten much softer but I haven't slept in it except twice since surgery. My husbands back issues (general muscle achy) are all gone since getting the bed. I am having a hard time going back to laying flat since my fusion and it is really hard to turn in the tempur..even without surgery.

• I hope that you are getting pillows propped in all the right places or whatever you need right now to sleep Angelah. Please keep us posted if you feel well enough...
  • Post deleted. Solicitation is never permitted at Spine-Health

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 08/05/11
  • Electric adjustable beds available from the general consumer to use at home are a progression from those used in hospitals. These electrical adjustable beds make it possible to lift up both the head and foot of the bed to assist in pain management and to aid comfort.

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by Authority Member Liz