Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2wks post op Micro Discetomy, worse pain than before surgery

jeni333jjeni333 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 2 wks post op on my 2nd micro d, I had it done last Sept, it reherniated so I had my 2nd one 2 wks ago. I am in more pain now than before the surgery. lower back is getting better but the butt, hip and leg pain is sometimes unbarable. I am on vicoden and 3 days into Neurontin, with no relief yet. I also have so much degeneration that they want to do a fusion next, but since I am over weight, that has to wait until I can lose approx 80-100 lbs. so basically a year or so in the future. That is so far off that i try not to think about it, but the pain that I am in now is just unreal. I have read some post that have similar situations, so I know i am not alone, I dont have a support system at all, so I guess I just needed to vent. if anyone has idea's for pain relief or finding a way to live with this, I would love to hear it. Thanks for listening(reading) Take care!

• That's rough you're having so much pain after surgery. Have you called your Surgeon to see if he could help you? I didn't see if you're taking a muscle relaxant. I know icing may help until you hear from your Surgeon. I haven't had surgery so I hope some others can help you out. We're here to support you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Jenni...I'm sorry you are hurting so much after your 2nd surgery.

I had a revision about 9 months ago and expected to get worse before I got better. I was surprised my 2nd surgery recovery was not as bad as the first (I think b/c they used nerve monitoring).

As for your pain, do you think it's pain from the surgery still? It's still early on and if you call your surgeon, you may want to ask him his thoughts. Maybe the inflammation is taking longer to subside which means your pain could be artificially elevated. If they think this might be the case, they can prescribe a steroid to help with surgical inflammation.

Are you sleeping on a bed with pillow under your knees? I know after the 1st surgery, the recliner seemed better for me but after the 2nd, I went for the bed to ensure I had lower lumbar support and it actually was better.

Are you allowed to get up every 2 hours to walk a little? Even if it's pacing your driveway or hallway, I think (if doctors tell you), it's important to do this to ensure scar tissue doesn't adhere to the nerves.

Did you see your doctor yet? I know most have a 2-week post op appt to ensure the incision is good and to give you some 1x1 time in case you are feeling lousy like you seem to be.

I hope some of these ideas are helpful. If you don't have an appt, call Monday to discuss the concerns with the doctor's office. They may suggest ice or want to see you.

• Sorry to hear of your troubles Jeni.

Can you tell us what kind of approach the surgeon used? In other words, did he cut a big incision? Was any cutting of bone done (cutting a window in the lamina)?

Any physical therapy done? Look into aquatic PT (in a pool).

Be sure to protect your skin from the ice. I have several burns from frozen gel packs.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008