Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

numbness in 4th 5th fingers,hands,arms, and pain in back

cjadams2ccjadams2 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi,I've been to 2 chiropractors,and GP that my insurance recognizes.Also I have a friend who is a neurologists who is now helping me.She gave me some drugs that actually work for nerve pain. I've had 2 sets of x-rays and a MRI yesterday. The MRI is supposed to be definitive but I can't figure out how to save it on the hard drive to send it to my friend. The funny part of the whole situation is my wife drives 100mi one way to work so we can have insurance with a $4000 deductable that will start over in jan. Also we can't use the hospital that is a quarter mile from our house and I drove by 2 different MRI facilities on the way to get mine done. After seeing a quote here of $40,000 for surgery......
advertisement

Comments

• Chris,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others going through the same as yourself.

As far as the two numb fingers look at the dermatone map and if it is coming off your neck you can see the levels that would be effected by those.

The insurance gig I completely understand have a deductible close to that myself. Sure doesn't make it easy. If for some reason you are in need of surgery, you might consider putting it off till the first of the year if a surgeon agreed to it and what not. One thing is for certain is I would get multiple opinions so by that time you would be into the first of the year and not have any worries with physical therapy post op. Now I admit i am putting the cart before the hoarse here, as I have no idea what your MRI's say. Just something to consider. I got stuck last year paying the deductible once starting in October then the same in January so I completely understand the financial burden it can be.

Let us know what your Mri's say once you get the answers and we have plenty who have cervical spine issues, myself included. Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and look forward to reading more of your post.
  • Welcome to Spine Health.
    It sounds like you are having a problem at the C8 level in your cervical spine. But only your Doctor can tell you for sure from your MRI. Can you send just the MRI report to your friend or is it on the disc too? If it is I wonder if you could get a written report somehow?
    The nerves that run down your arm and into those two fingers are at the C8 level. Is your back pain between your shoulder blades or rather close to the top of your shoulder blades? You may have a bulging disk there.
    I am no Doctor but have had spine issues for several years. I have had fusion's at both my Cervical and Lumbar area. But that still does not make me a Doctor or even an expert.
    Post your problem in the "Neck Pain, Cervical" forum and I am sure there will be others that can offer more help than I.
    Best of luck to you.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • Thanks for your quick reply. Today was actually pretty good. I didn't even take any pain meds until this evening. So much of the stress is just feeling like your all alone. I believe your right about putting off surgery. I broke both legs in a car accident in 1985 and swore I wouldn't be operated on until I couldn't go to the bathroom on my own. Every time I say I wont do something I have to eat my words. My friend is going to read the MRI after Rotary this Thursday.I'll let you know how it goes. I have discovered my problem is probably at the C8. Pat, you know as much about this as anybody. It seems to be a "black art" and you better educate yourself or somebody can really hurt you.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. education is one of the best things SH is good for.. the more you know about what is going to happen to you the better for you!! so ask questions and get your answers till you are completely satisfied.. good luck to you and drop in anytime!! Jenny :)
  • I haven't heard from my primary care Dr. and its been a week. I hate to have to go back down there and explain to them again that I know I'm not their only patient but please don't ignore me. My friend who was going to read my MRI must have had to go out of town.The meds have made this bearable but I fear missing a opportunity to address the core problem. I have a important week coming up and I hope I'm up to it. Its actually do or die. The business not me! Chris
  • Hello Chris, welcome to Spine-health!! Yes the waiting game....it is hell all the way around! Please try not to stress too much before your MRI report gets looked at....and let us know when it does!! Wishing you pain-free days!!!!
  • I am also waiting for results of an MRI done on 22nd October!

I also have numbness in my 4th and 5th fingers left hand, and burning pain and tingling in both arms and hands. Also pain in my neck and shoulders.

I am in the UK so I am used to waiting!!

It will be interessting to see if our problem levels are similar. (I do have other symptoms too that suggest problems higher up too.)

I hope that you hear soon what is going on.
    Take care :-)
  • first let me say welcome to SH and i am sorry that you are here! question .do your hands or one hand swell in the morning and do have have a loss of power in your hand {at any time } do you get a dull ache in the bit of your spine that runs across your shoulders {the bit where you neck kinda jumps out a bit} do you know where i mean ? the reason i ask is because i was wondering if you have been tested for thoracic outlet syndrome ? you can be born with this and it stay dormant until you reach midlife 30/45ish then it can rear its ugly head ..i have it and it took many months even years to get a firm diagnosis as its very hard to diagnose .i hope that you haven't got it but maybe you should get some one to rule it out?
    STRAKER
  • I slipped down in my driveway(pretty hard on lt. shoulder)and about a month later I noticed pain under lt shoulder blade.
  • Hi, I'd be glad to wait if they could just tell me how much the procedures cost. I was hoping to pay for this as it goes, but until they figure out what the insurance will pay (0) they can't tell me what the cost is! I was trying to put it off until after Jan.1. Now wife tells me since the present policy is going up 47% Jan.1 and her boss is going to forgo a planned expansion and use the money to get employees a new plan. That probably means I'll have a pre-existing cond. The good news is as long as I take these pills life is bearable. Also my primary care physician's advice,after looking at MRI, is see a surgeon. Something about buldging disc C3,C4,C5,C6. I'll see my neurologists today and post any new developments.
advertisement