Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cold or Flu - what to take? Need help please

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
Hi guys.

I woke up this morning with either the flu or a cold, with body aches (thank goodness for the meds, they helped), soar throat, nasal congestion and a cough. Generally, I feel like poop. I take Norco and either valium or flexiril, depending on how bad my spasms are.

Does anyone know if I can take Theraflu? That's always my favorite flu and/or cold medication...

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sorry you feel so bad Cathie. I don't know what you can take, I've been wondering about that too.

I just wanted to say that I hope you get to feeling better real soon. If I lived nearby I'd bring you some homemade soup--the cure all food. lol.
    Stay in bed and rest.
    Take care and feel better my friend.

• Call your pharmacist. He/she should be able to give you an idea if the Thera-flu will interact with any of your meds.

Hope you feel better.

• Talked with the pharmacist and just so you know, you can take Theraflu with the meds I take.

• Sorry you're not feeling well. I have never tried Theraflu but usually take neocitran and DM syrup. C is right to contact the Pharmacist. Gargle with warm salt water and chicken soup and orange juice. Hope you feel better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I was sick about 2 weeks ago, and i was taking Theraflu and Robotussin.
    It did'nt help so i went to clinic and the doctor said i had Broncatis, and gave me scripts for medication, also told me not to take the Theraflu while on these scripts.
    Told doctor about my pain meds and she said they are fine to take together.

But to be safe maybe do as "C" says, i would. just for peace of mind.
  • Sorry to hear you are feeling crummy.

I agree with "C". The pharmacists are great resources when it comes to situations like this. I'm glad you got the okay to take TheraFlu and hope you start feeling better real soon.

• i tack the effervescent 1000mg vit C in water 2 times a day when i feel a cold coming on the large amounts of vit C help and you can't OD on it all that happens is you excrete it out .and drink loads of water and eat fruit .dont smoke and dont drink alcohol. and rest .any common cold /flu mixture that you can get OTC like lemsip are OK as long as you are not taking anything with paracetamol .hope that you start to feel better soon
  • Cathie, I'm glad you called your pharmacist. My advice: take the theraflu, put on some soft music, curl up with a good if you feel up to reading, and pamper yourself until you feel better. Maybe this will just be a 24 hour thing. Also, I agree with the chicken soup thing. I used to think it was just an old wives tale that chicken soup helps with colds, but there is something about the broth that works like medicine and it really does help.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • At 5 am this morning, I thought I was dying. Hubby was already up as he was having strange dreams (why'd I tell you that?). Anyway, I got up thinking OMG, I've got one heck of a bad flu and piled two blankets on the bed, put on my lounge pants, socks and a long sleeved t-shirt and got back in bed. But I was still so cold that I got up.

Went downstairs and had coffee with hubby with my blanky, took two Norcos and a valium and 1/2 hour later went back to bed. Then I slept well until about 7:30 and started getting hot and decided to get up. I was already feeling better.

Now, I've taken another dose of my meds and some Theraflu and don't feel too bad. I'm now thinking it's a cold. Maybe I had a fever in the middle of the night and it broke - I don't know, but I'm better now. I've just been hanging out in my recliner with my skulls with pink bows robe on watching TV and playing on the computer.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I think I should have washed my hands more this past week, or at least used the hand sanitizer that was in my purse more.

Hope you all are feeling well today.
  • Cathie,

Glad to hear you're feeling better. My hubby gets me the Alka-Seltzer that you dissolve in water. They have one formula for flus, and one for colds.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Glad you're feeling better! As was said before, always best to check with the pharmacist to see what is okay to take. Hope you get over this quickly!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Thanks guys. Brenda, Alka-Seltzer makes me throw up. It's the whole bubbles thing, I think...

It appears that when I get up in the mornings is when I feel worst. I get up with a nasty cough and wheezing, headache, body aches, sneezing and very tired. I also get hot and cold alternately.

I just took my dose of the usual with Theraflu Daytime and am already feeling a bit better, but there's definitely something wrong. I guess I just need to keep taking medicine and resting until this goes away. Our local news says there's a bad strain of the cold going around our area.

I have a job interview on Wednesday and really don't want to show up with a cough, runny nose and sneezing...that would make a very good impression, wouldn't it? LOL

Thanks again.
  • Just be sure not to shake their hand after you've coughed or sneezed into it ;) Good luck on Wednesday, hope you're feeling much better before then! Remember lots of fluids, too!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own