Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Syringomylia: Arachnoidal cyst found in thoracic spinal canal

blackberrybunnybblackberrybunny Posts: 157
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everybody,
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here. Some days I am just too depressed to get online. I'm sure you all understand.
I saw a new surgeon this past week and he had me get five MRI's, from my sacrum all the way to my brain. From headbone to tailbone.
Besides my lumbar problems, they now have found I have a cyst in my spinal canal which is choking off my spinal canal. This is why I am having hyper-reflexes, they said.
I have also been having pain in my thoracic region too. If we had not imaged me entire spine, we would not have known about this. And they are saying it is SERIOUS and to get it taken care of STAT, otherwise, I could become paralyzed from the shoulders down!!
They wouldn't even talk to me about my painful lumbar region, that hurts so bad sometimes I consider killing myself. They said this cyst I have has got to be taken care of NOW!
Well, what to think of this now? I am just beside myself with worry. They cyst is quite large (long) already and is blocking my canal. We went over my MRI's slowly, carefully, the it was easy for me, mom, and my husband to see clearly what the doctor was seeing.
I kept telling my pain mgmt dr. that I was having pain higher up, and I wanted more MRI's, but for some reason they kept saying no.... I'm glad I went to a new doctor. Now we know WHY I've been hurting additionally to my lumbar. Sometimes, you've gotta take things into your own hands as much as you can; if I had not requested this consultation with a new doctor about my lumbar, we would have never known I had a cyst growing inside me.
I have cried and cried and cried since Thursday. The doctor this surgeon referred me to will call me tomorrow with an appt. I look forward to meeting him. He's yet ANOTHER doctor to try to deal wtih, but what can you do? I'll let you all know how my first appointment goes with him. Hopefully, it'll be soon.

• I know it's not great news but I find getting answers helps. At least you know what you have to deal with instead of the endless wondering.

Hopefully once they deal with this some of the lower problems will go away also. Please make sure you let us know how it goes with the surgeon. And know that you are in my prayers as you face this.
  • Oh my gosh, I am so glad you finally figured out why things were so painful! I have been thinking for a long time that your situation didn't sound right for what your PM had diagnosed.

Have your cry and then start your march on the road to getting this dealt with. Good news- being on the fast track means no waiting!
This discussion has been closed.