Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any advice on chiropractor?

daisy maeddaisy mae Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Alternative Treatments
Hello all,
I seen my pain management dr for the first time about a month ago. He suggested some isometric core exercises along with the physio I have been doing..BUT here's my problem. My insurance is almost at it's limit for the physio AND let's just say she hasn't been too helpful. I feel as though I have to beg her for anyhting she does, it's not a good relationship at all but I cannot afford another $65 start up somewhere else to just have 2 more paid sessions, you know? And the pain mamnagement guy said for me to NOT to chiro "no bone cracking"....
While I was pregnant I visited a chiropractor and I'm not sure IF it helped, I just went. Well now here I am scared to death becasue I really do feel the traction the physio does ..DOES help a tad and damn it it feels good! I called my chiro and she told me she offers traction as well and she assured me she didn't have to touch my neck. I am so fearul of my neck flaring up again...
So what should I do?

• I would ask your doctor. See if he agrees with doing traction. If he does then find out what weight and settings he is happy with.

They also make home units. Maybe your insurance would pay for that. Worth checking into.
  • I forgot to add that the pain management guy was very supportive of the traction the physio offered, he was just put off by the lack of motivation I explained to him. She hadn't shown me any exercises at all..and then got a bit upset when I gave her the prescription note for the pain dr suggesting certain exercises.
    so idk...? Oh and the chiro also does accupuncture...I am up for anything. I don't see the pain guy until mid December so I cannot wait until then...
  • I tried accupuncture for some non-spine issues, and I feel it did help. I'm not much of a believer in non-traditional medicine, but sometimes a person gets to the point they are willing to try anything. A long time ago I used chiropractic and felt like it helped me. But I'm with your pain management doctor, if you have a serious injury, "bone-cracking" is probably not a good idea.

It sounds like your doctor wanted you to do isometric exercises. I would suggest you really push for instructions on how to do them during your last two visits. OR find out a solid reason why she does not want you to do the exercises. Maybe she is seeing something that needs to be brought to your doctor's attention.

Here is my favorite "traction-type" stretch. While laying on your back, position yourself so that your thoracic spine and head hangs off the edge of your bed. Allow your head and arms to hang for a few minutes. This provides a good gentle stretch that works similar to traction. Before you do this though, talk to your doctor and make sure it is safe.

Also, I found that isometric exercises did not work at all for me. My physio, with instructions from my physiatrist doctor, worked with me on strengthening the shoulders and upper arms, because your shoulder movements are what affects your neck.

Use your last 2 appointments to build a routine that you can do at home on your own. At least that is what I would do.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!