Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain after L4 L5 fusion is this normal

johnb3207jjohnb3207 Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all It's me lol I have been getting along perty well
had L4 L5 fusion on Oct 21st and have been dooing really good I thought but yesterday and this morning my legs are really starting to bother me to the point of concern now lot of pain
in my buttocks area and down back of legs I am hoping this is normal ....has anyone else had this ....and when do the spasams start kicking in I have been on spasam meds so hopefully they will not your thoughts please anyway would like to know on legs 8}
advertisement

Comments

• I also experienced major nerve pain in my legs after my L4/5 TLIF. It wasn't immediate, it was a week or so after surgery.

I had told my hubby and MIL (she flew in to be my caretaker for two weeks) after I'd been home for a week that I was having major leg pain and that I thought I needed a walker. They both said no, just use a cane or crutches. But when they both realized that I simply couldn't walk on my own at one point, they scrambled to find me a walker.

So, basically I'm saying that it's not uncommon to have worse pain before it gets better. Oddly, the pain in my legs was not what I experienced pre-op, it was more like sciatic spike pain down the back of both legs. So you might need to have a walker for a bit until it subsides.

With that said, any time you have concerns, don't hesitate to call your surgeon and talk with him/her about it. That's what they're there for.

Take care and keep up on the recovery. It's not a very easy road at first, is it?

Cathie
  • Thanks cath that's exactly what it feels like and I just got off the phone with my Dr office And she said to add 800 MG ibuprofen 3 times a day and to call her wed and to let her know if it helps feel a bit better now with pain med but it will be time for more in a few hours and I can start to feel it again so hope the
    ibuprofen helps thanks again Cath have a great day :H
  • I too have WORSE leg pain post op ALIF, L4-5 on 8/24.

Like Cath said, it came on after I think a week or so, its hard to remember, I was in the hospital for 5 days. I had to use the walker, I still need it for walks.
    I have to go for mylogram now to see what's up.

Good luck John, I'm so sorry for you. Do let your doc know. I went to ER a few nights after I was released from hospital as my leg literally seized up.

I hope your muscle relaxers kick in & you get relief.

Virginia
  • Hang in there John! I had leg pain for months! Neurontin really helps me with the nerve pain!

The good news is it has really subsided now. It takes a long time for the nerves to calm and heal! They are pretty ticked off! LOL

Wishing you the best in your recovery!
  • John, I too had L4/5 fusion on 9/29. My "good" leg was numb immediately after surgery and went on to becoming very painful about 1 week later. My Dr. put me on Lyrica and that helped. THat pain and numbness is nearly completely gone now.

My new fear is I have pain in my original "bad" leg once again. It started at 3 and 1/2 weeks after doing too much one day. I was feeling good and did too much! So please don't do that, John. Continue to take it easy for a very long time, no matter how good you feel! I pray I didn't do anything to harm my healing process. THe nurse says it's too soon to tell and that some nerve pain is common at 4 - 5 weeks out. But it came on after 3 - 4 weeks and wasn't there at the beginning after surgery. Sorry to go on about this on your post. Just be careful!

Liz
  • sorry your getting the nerve pains, it seems it not uncommon after all, the surgeon have been in there moving them around,or there now going back into the place they should be, also if yours were compressed prior, all thses factors will irritate those nerves and they will be reacting to this.

i do hope it settles for you soon.
    apart from that , how are you managing now ?
    are you finding it easier yet to get out of bed/ walk/dress/shower?
    take care
    flower
  • Yes Flower I am getting along really good now weening
    myself off the pain meds now taking longer walks now
    pain in legs is not as bad so yep things are going good ..Other than my work is shutting me out now and not sure I will have a job to go back to and if i do they said lowest pay and I have a 2 hour drive to work
    not sure what i am going to do but I will cross that bridge when it gets here
  • Hiya , I had leg pains about a week after surgery as well , my physio told me this was due to my spine being corrected with the metal work ,which lengthens the spine but the nerve cords have to adjust to the new length , mine are mostly in the front of my legs and on the side , keep well and take it easy xx
  • thats a worry you could do without, re job, right now.
    2hrs drive to work too!

i do hope things will work out for you with this
    concentrate on healing for now, and as you say , worry bout it when/if the time comes

take care flower

• I had three bouts of horrible leg pain after surgery. I did rounds of Lyrica and prednisone to get it under control.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thanks Flower yey I know almost 19 years and never a bad evaluation always exceeded and I liked it there
    I am kinda a worry wart anyway this will not help
    you seem very nice thanks for your concern ....
    legs really ache in mornings I called Dr and he said if it continues to call him back next week so I hope it goes away NO MORE CUTS lol 8}
  • some folk here on the board, that have had probs with their work accomadating then in return to work, and have had battles with uncaring supervisers/managers. makes me upset, when people like yourself have worked hard and done the right thing for their employers.

john, i hope your leg aches resolve soon, beside that ,looks like you coming along pretty good. great news.
    there seems to be all sorts of weired and different pains/feelings with this surgery , uugggh, not realy what the surgeons prepare us for!
    the forum here is great for getting actual real patient experience of their journeys for info/support :)
    keep healing
    take care
    flower
  • :H Thanks flower I just got another email from my boss and I talked to my lawyer and Iowa work force and they both told me to file for unemployment after I am released this sucks easier said than done however I will not miss the 2 hour drive which I know would not help my back anyway driving that much jst sad 19 years down the pot feel like I will be starting all over with my life I am so glad I have a very supportive Fiance she has been there for me every step of the way
    such a great person I am blessed to have her in my life and I am so glad I found this site it has helped me prepare for all this and talked to some nice folks
    such as yourself so thanks to everyone for sharing with me it means alot for my health big huge Hugs to all of you
  • journey that we are all on has some terrible twists, changes and blows that we need to adjust too and its hard.
    but in our own time , we make the adjustments that are necseesary to find different ways to have a life which has meaning for us.

thats so lovely that you have a supportive fiance who is sharing your journey :)

you no when you mentioned in one of your posts about your 2 hour commute to work , i thought OMG, how are you going to manage that!
    my thoughts were maybee seeing if you could get work much closer to home .....

hugs back at ya
    flower
  • i am a 69yo male. on may 17,2011 had fusion surgery. my surgeon preformed the nuvasive xlif procedure. immediately after the surgery i was pain free and needed no meds. after 3 months the pain appeared in my right calf where the original pain had been prior to the surgery, i was walking for a mile and now i am not able to walk one block. i had a cat scan on 8/25/11 and will be seeing the surgeon on the 29th. i was told after the surgery that the nerve has to heal, any meds that i have taken after the pain resurfaced have done nothing. did the PT regiment and all was going well. now i am depressed and feel confined to the house. walking is really difficult. prior to the surgery i was going to the gym daily. any thought or advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Start a new post instead of jumping on an old one that is not relevant to yours. People might actually find it...
  • EnforcerxEEnforcerx Posts: 2
    edited 08/03/2013 - 7:10 AM
    i had my fusion in 2008. When getting out of bed don't jerk up from laying on your back. Roll to one side and push your self up with your elbow, while putting your feet on the floor. This might help. Also stregnthing your ham strings the mustle behind your quads. Gentle stretching. I have been off narcotic meds for the last 14 months.

** Warning **

Before you start any exercise program, you need to discuss it with your doctor first to get their approval.
    What may sound like a simple and harmless exercise may be very helpful to him, but can be very dangerous to you or someone else
advertisement