Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back, hip pain year after L5 surgery

pldzooppldzoo Posts: 2
Looking for input! Had partial disc L5 surgery July 2008 after exhibiting classic herniation symptoms. Great recovery, but had stiffness. Now have developed back, butt, leg pain consistent with L5 much worse when walking. No reherniation on MRI, but scar tissue and 4/5 disc buldge. Walking is causing pain that feels like hip is locking up and now affecting front of groin at top of the thigh - sometimes radiates to front of the leg. Pain has improved a bit with some PT, but now I am being offered lyrica or neurontin - to which I said no. Pain is all over the map and never know what kind of day I will have. Frustrated and not sure what to do next. I walk a lot as I live in a city and own a large dog...so we walk, no matter what. What is going on with the hip/front of the thigh - SI??

Thank you for any advice or guidance.

• Do you have any history of hip bursitis? I have the same symptoms and recently found out that I have a torn muscle at my hip area. This can be mistaken for a back problem. If you have any questions, please PM me and I'll try to be of some help.

Welcome to SH!

• Hi Marriane,

I hope and pray you don't have what I have.

I had a spinal fusion done on L5-S1 in Jan 2008.

I did well for three months then I started to get awful pain in my buttocks area. It feels like a knife is being jabbed into my left buttock.

I have had just about everything you could think of done, and still no relief---well maybe some relief using the spinal cord stimulator.

No one can actually pinpoint what is causing my pain.

My opinion, and that of my former Pain Dr. is scar tissue pushing on a nerve.

I tried Lyrica at first but had to give up because of the memory problems it caused.

I tried Neurontin, but it made me severely depressed.

I went back on Lyrica because I had no other options left. It does help some. I tried to wean off severall times but the pain came back so bad I had to start back on it again.

If you do try Lyrica, beware you will feel like you are in another world for a while, but it will get better, just give it time...2 months at least.

I hope you will find relief.

I guess that old saying "Pain in the Butt" has it's roots in reality.

Good Luck......Robert in NC
  • Thanks for the input - no history of bursitis but I just have a feeling something else is going on here. Never realized people who deal with back pain fall down a medical rabbit hole....
  • I also feel like I have a knife stabbed in my life buttock, I said those exact words last night, that I wish I could pull it out!!!! I have been diagnosed with issues at the sacroiliac joint, but I don't know if this will help you any/Neurontin is a lifesaver for me, but if I take it without pain meds I still hurt, however, if I take pain meds without the Neurontin, I still have nerve pain, it is the only thing that directly affects my nerve pain. I am very sorry I don't have more info to help you, only my personal experience, best of luck to you :)
  • Hi, I was going to say, keep going to PT. After my first back surgery my hip/buttocks were in a lot of pain. Turns out, my muscles there were so 'tight' and it was because I was limping. They told me the pain I was feeling was early signs of bursitis but that PT could help.

After my 2nd surgery, the PT and strength training (under their guidance) was a big deal in helping my body mechanics). Whenever I start to hurt, I revert back to my PT stretches/exercises and it makes a HUGE difference.