Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LasVegasLLasVegas Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
Prescribed Percocet and Flexiral for lumber pain and neck stiffness/pain.

Flexeril really does not help.

Percocet keeps my mind racing with inability to sleep at night; and can't take during the day as they give me slurred speech.

Any other recommendations to ask dr for a script on an as needed basis?

• It's generally not a good idea to ask your doctor for specific meds. Just tell him exactly what you wrote here, and ask if he has any other recommendations, as your current meds aren't helping.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • You might want to ask about an NSAID for inflammation unless OTC advil helps. What is your injury?
  • Anything OTC I laugh at considering it takes 30mg to 50mg of Percocet to relieve the pain. Lumber region and neck pain.

Problem is during the day I can't take Percocet because it makes me slur when I speak, i'm a salesman so obviously csn not slur, lol.

At night, Percocets keep me awake as my mind is racing and I can't relax. I understand to leave the decision to the dr, but thought others here may experience similar problems and could make a recommendation as to what may help.
  • I am on ER pain meds (not as strong as percs) for the last 2 years. I have still found that advil helps with the inflammation. Someone else will come along that can explain this better than I can, but I have found that the pain meds and the OTC anti-inflammition meds help me in different ways. I find that the advil by itself won't take away the pain, but in combination, with the advil used to treat the inflammation, and the pain meds for pain, it does work quite well. Like I said, I'm sure someone will post that can explain this better than I can.
  • I have a bottle of Ibuprofin 800 Mg pills and do take daily in hopes that it will help with the inflammation, thus eventually reduce pain. Not convinced they work as i've seen no difference since started taking them 3 weeks ago, but take them anyway out of hope.

Can not take them for the past few days as no advil, aspirin, ibuprofin, etc is to be taken 7 days prior to injections scheduled this Wednesday.
  • There are other anti-inflammatories- you might want to consider those.

There are also other medications that can be added to the blend that are not narcotics. Two that I am on are Cymbalta and Topamax, for general pain and nerve pain, respectively. I can no longer take nsaids at all, but I'd certainly take them as well if I could.

Laughing at an OTC product and then taking 4x the dose when it doesn't seem particularly effective is a good way to end up with chronic gastritis, like me, and short one item on your list of tools in your pain toolbox. Never take more than you have to of anything, and certainly never take 800mg if it's not more effective than 200mg! Not all medications have clear dose/effect relationships, so more is not always better.
  • The prescribed dose is 1 pill which is 800 mg Ibuprofin. Agree not to take more than prescribed. I will look into the Cymbalta and Topomax, thanks
  • Actually my point wasn't that- it was why take 800 mg if you don't have any faith that it works better than 200mg? If it was working, then great. You said you don't think it is.

Daily NSAIDS are just very hard on your stomach.
  • I take 800mg because it is prescribed that way.
  • I take 800mg because it is prescribed that way.
  • Did I read correctly that you are taking somewhere between 30-50 mg of percocet to get pain relief? Is that a total daily intake or for one dose?How often are you taking that much percocet a day? I am asking because that is a lot of percocet to take at one time,which is probably why you are slurring your speech, and with the large amount of tylenol in the percocet ( 500 mg is the standard dose of tylenol in each pill-assuming you have 10 mg tablets and are taking three at a time- that is 1500 mg of tylenol in one dose)If you are taking 30 mg of percocet three times a day, that is well above the recommended daily dosage of tylenol/acetominophen( 4 grains or 4000 mg)for a person not on long term chronic pain treatment- for those people , the recommended maximum daily dose is 3000 mg or 3 grains. With the large amount of tylenol in addition to the 800 mg of ibuprofen in the anti-inflammatory meds you are also taking, you are in a dangerous zone of potentially causing liver damage with the amount of anti inflammatory meds you are taking into your system a day.
    You may want to start by having a frank discussion with your prescriber about the amount of percocet you are taking to get pain relief and the combination of the anti-inflammatory med and the amount of tylenol on top of the anti inflammatory medication.
    Best of luck to you,
  • I understand that you take 800 mg because it's prescribed that way. Do you ask your doctor about the risks of each of the medications he prescribes to you? Did he inform you that one of the risks of long-term high dose Ibuprofen use included gastric ulcers?

The risks of long-term Ibuprofen use will be on your pamphlet from the pharmacy.

And 200 mg Ibuprofen is available from any Wal-Mart.

These are things we have to start thinking about as we head into long-term pain relief. I have to tell you that I no longer count on anybody else to manage risks for me. I have too many different doctors juggling my medications and conditions (I have several).

Please note that I am recommending you discuss these things with your doctor! Not that you ignore your doctor's recommendations. My suggestion is to ask for a switch to an NSAID that is effective.

• Went to get my facet inj and epidural inj this morning. Prior to procedure I told nurse to let dr know my concerns of the Percocets. I awoke with a script for Lortab. Thought these two meds are very similar which makes me concerned the Lortabs will give me the same sleep probems as the Percocets do.

Anybody familiar with the comparison of these 2 meds and if my guess is accurate thinking about sleep issues or please correct me if I am mistaken. hopefully I am mistaken and they will help me minimize pain and get some good sleep. Thanks in advance to knowledgeable replies.
    LasVegas said:
    Prescribed Percocet and Flexiral for lumber pain and neck stiffness/pain.

Flexeril really does not help.

Percocet keeps my mind racing with inability to sleep at night; and can't take during the day as they give me slurred speech.

Any other recommendations to ask dr for a script on an as needed basis?
  • They are chemically similar, but they tend to have different effects on people. Oxycodone is stronger than Hydrocodone as well (lortabs contain Hydrocodone).

Good luck.
  • saw dr today and she said the Percocets have too much Tylenol in it and considering I take about 50mg daily, she wrote me a script for Oxycodone 15mg tablets which has no Tylenol, supposed to be less harsh on the liver.