Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my denitst is going to send me to the PM doctor

chronic sufferchronic suffer Posts: 115
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
my denitst is going to send me to the PM doctor i called the PM place again today and they told me that any doctor can send me there i asked them if my dentist could send me there and they said yes as long as its a doctor that sends me there i am going back to the dentist on mon to have my teeth cleaned i called today to make the appt for the dentist and asked if they could send me to the PM doctor and they said yes they sure would do that for me because the dentist knows i have chronic pain so i maybe getting a appt with the new PM doctor they said as soon as they get the fax they will call me and make the appt so thats good :0)

• Keep in mind that although a Dentist may be able to refer you to a PM doc, the PM doc can only treat the issue that the Dentist sends you there for. If you are looking to have pain other than dental pain treated, then a physician who is treating you for that specific pain has to write the referral for you.

For instance, if my GP writes a referral for PM for my neck and I go to the PM doc and complain that I need my knee treated, the PM doc cannot treat my knee. I would have to go back to the GP and ask for a new referral for my knee in order for the PM doc to be authorized to treat my knee pain.

It might save you some hassle and frustration by double checking on all of this before you head out to the PM. Depending on how much your co-pays are, it could wind up costing you money that you really needed to use differently.

• the PM place already knows what i need PM for they said to make sure that the dentist puts why he wants to send me there he knows i have chronic pain that needs to be treated and he knows the one PM doctor was under treating my pain to and yes i will be double checking on this before i am sent there
  • Hello Chronic Suffer,

First off, I'd like to say "HI!" :H
    And secondly, I'd like to say that I've been thru a lot of the same you have gone thru with PM Drs, so I can understand your frustrations. And how things can happen, when you're in pain. I've had pain issues since I was 13, and I'm 42 now. I'm not perfect, I'm human,I've been short, and ran out. But you live, and learn. I was totally honest with my new PM Dr, and told him everything. Kinda hard not to when your mother right there, and she knows everything. And HATES lying, so the truth was a must.

At my first meeting with him. We talked about my current meds, pass treatments, tests, what he wanted to do, and how WE were going to do it. He has never forced me into any treatment that I did not want, and he told me that he would not drop me, because I didn't want a treatment he recommended.

Now with this PM Dr I did not need a referal, but I have had another that did require one. All Dr are different for requirments from new patients, so best to have all your "T" crossed, and "I" dotted. Best thing to do is call, and find out.

Be open to new treatments. From what I've read about you. You seem to be a combination muscle, and nerve pain. Please correct me if I'm wrong about what wrong with you. Some of the best treatments for nerve pain are non-narcotic meds, and I will say they have been a lifesaver for me. For me a combo of "tricycline", and anti-convulcents(sp) have worked the best, but be open to trying new things. There are so many different meds, and treatments out there, besides just narcotics. You just have find what works for you. What do you have to lose, besides pain?

This all can be so confusing to someone just entering into all knowlegde that people on here have to give. I know when I first joined I was so confused. I didn't know what to ask, or how to ask it. It can take a lot of reading of different threads, and articles to find the information you're looking for. But I would say you will find it here

Take care, and good luck with your new PM Dr,
    Bobbi Jo :)
  • Hi Chronic,

Something else you might be prepared to do when you see this doctor is write down your major issues of pain. So say your back is causing you the most issues, be prepared to discuss how your back causes you pain and what makes it worse or better. Be able to tell them how it limits in your life and what type of pain it is such as burning, stabbing, aches among many descriptions. You can look in the FAQ section at the top and there is a link of preparing to meet with a doctor that can help you out. But don't go in and say you have pain everywhere or it hurts, while that maybe true, the doctor doesn't have much to go on to help you. So I would pick out the two worst issues of pain and be prepared to discuss them.

Also you want to have a clear list of all the treatments you have already tried and how they worked for you, what you have been told about your condition and the different diagnostic test you have had done. It is important to have all the dates and names of doctors whom did the diagnostics and the names of places test were at. If you have any films you will further want to bring them along with you. But understand this is your first meeting with him/her and it will take some time to build a relationship and get some forms of treatments going. Often times on a first appointment doctors won't prescribe meds till they verify the conditions and have a chance to look through the medical test or have you sent out for some. Remember he/she will want to make their own diagnoses. This way your slate will be truly clean. Also keep in mind what didn't work before may work now so be open to retry things that you already have and any new things as BJ suggested. It shows a lot of good effort on your part with the doctor.

Good luck with your appointment.
  • I don't know,but I think as C mentioned earlier that a dentist can only refer you for dental/teeth/mouth pain.I really doubt it if a dentist can make a Dx of say neck/back/bone or other pain,and make a referral based on what they hear but don't treat.I mean,they may know that you have that pain,but it isn't their specailty and they don't treat people for those types of things.

CS~If the pain management place that you called today said that any Dr can refer you,why not just ask your regular PCP for a referral.They are generally pretty happy to do this as they would want you to get treated and don't like treating CP patients that long themselves.
  • Hiya >:D< I am sorry that your in pain.I have to agree with "C" and with Robin. A dentist can not do a referal for fibro pain, it has to be dental pain(but i did not know that a dentist could refer you to PM). Do you see a orthopedic surgeon? Have you had MRI? x-rays? A PM will need somthing to work on. I would start with the orthopedic first. I am also a fibro sufferer, orthopedics did x-rays and MRI, and the injection whilst having an MRI, so when i was refered to my PM he could see exactly where my problems are. But i should imagine that your dentist would not be able to get all that sorted for you. Keep us posted , Good Luck!

Angie :H
  • I think the pain management doctor will want records for any pain causing disorders you want him to treat.

So if you want him to treat your neck, you need your films showing what is wrong with your neck.

If you want him to treat your fibro, your PCP needs to send him a report on your diagnosis.

And so on. He won't treat pain just because you say it is there, other than what the dentist confirms. That is how pain management doctors usually work.

It would be so much easier if your PCP would refer you and help you get all of these records. Why won't she do that? I thought she was being supportive!
  • Must be a state difference perhaps? I know my PM doesn't require a doctor's reference, nor does she have an issue treating whatever ails you. I've never heard of this, but then again, I've only seen one PM for the past several years too..
  • AND don't take this wrong - I think you all ought to let her do her thing and see how it pans out. Stop with the 3rd degree and all these rules and regs. She'll figure it out.
    Support her and let's all hope everything works out well for her. I'm sure if her doctor needs information, she will get it for him/her as requested. If not, maybe they will do more tests. Give this chick a break already - please!
  • Mouse said:
    Must be a state difference perhaps? I know my PM doesn't require a doctor's reference, nor does she have an issue treating whatever ails you. I've never heard of this, but then again, I've only seen one PM for the past several years too..
    There are insurance, state, and individual issues that would make a person more or less likely to get treatment, I think.

But, would your PM doctor treat you with narcotics with no record from another doctor showing a diagnosis appropriate for narcotic treatment?

I did not need a referral, but I definitely needed the records.
  • I think it depends on your insurance more than anything. I don't need referals for anything. So I could go to a PM doc as long as their office doesn't want a referal.

That said the PM doc needs to know what is going on. No reputable doctor is going to listen to you say something hurts and just start writing scripts. He is going to want info from another doctor like an orthopedist or neurologist in the case of spine patients. And he is probably also going to want to see all of your imaging studies.

When I went to the PM doc he had already spoken with my neurologist and had accessed my MRI and CT online. He had my surgery reports and all the doctors reports before I got there. Did I mention this is an awesome office?

So CS I would recommend telling them when you make that appointment what your problems are and then asking what they need from you. Otherwise you may go there and waste a visit because they want more info. Plus as someone suggested make some lists of each problem, who is treating you, what you have tried and what tests have been done. Doctors only have a certain amount of time to spend with each patient so you want to make the most of your time.

I hope you get that appointment soon. Please keep us posted.
  • Mouse, you have a PM.

CS, another thing. Do you have someone who knows your entire situation who could talk to the PM doctor if he starts giving you trouble? Your counselor or a social worker? Maybe even someone who would help the PM doctor with your pain management?
  • I think I read in one of your very first posts that your first name is Leann? Do I remember correctly? I doesn't happen often, but once in a while my sieve of a brain works! ;) Just wanted to check (mine is Kelly)

Hope that you hear back and get your appointment with the PM soon!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • yes i am going to get my records that i need for this PM doctor this state is very difference you have to have a referral here in this state the one PM doctor i was going to was the only one that did not need one
  • taking pain meds has been a lifesaver for me to and i am open for any other treatments to if they will help my pain
  • and also i want to ty for the advice everyone i am listening to what you guys have to say with the advice
  • my name is leah kelly you was close enough and to what everyone has said i am going to get all that i need for this new PM doctor ty so much everyone for giving me some support it means alot that you guys are trying to help me and i am listen to what you all are saying
  • and yes i will keep you guys updated and here is a hug to ev 1 >:D< i love you guys here :D
  • Leah, I'm glad we have a name to go with the face. Well, many times we don't even have a face to go with the name, lol.

Let us know how it goes with this PM doctor. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • i did not want to say my name to i got to know you all but its ok i feel like i know you all know and its really hard to trust anyone online but i trust you guys and feel like i know you all and you all can call me by my name on here or by my screen name
  • I'm sorry!! I should have pm'd you to bring that up. I felt the same way when I first came here, I didn't add my first name until after I felt completely comfortable here, so again I apologize!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • i will also tell you guys more about myself be looking for it about how me and my husband met and other things is there any thing you want to know about me you can ask in the post
  • kelly you don't have to apologize!!! to me its ok i was going to tell you all my name soon anyways so please don't apologize to me you did nothing wrong you just wanted to know my name here is a hug kelly >:D< i am not mad or upset
  • I like that name and it's fun to type...

I posted about how to update your Spine-Health history and such through your "My Account" area in your post in the New Member section. Let me know if you want any help with that.

• I understand. I don't use my name anymore, because it has an unusual spelling and the last board I was on I ended up with a stalker! I still freak out that she's going to find me.

You can't be too careful about sharing information online! (I'm not nearly careful enough- be way more careful than I am!)
  • I am horrible at real names lol The few times I have met up with people whom I met online I call them by their user name as I can;t for the life of me get the real name to stick in my brain :doh: lol So for ME you will remain CS lol ;)

Tip. Maybe check with your recent previous PM to see if they will release all your test and such to this new PM. If they won't then contact the hospital or where ever you had things done at and ask for them to send on to the future PM. I hate to see you go to the new PM and him/her say "oh we need your test results first" :(

How are you doing with holding up through all this pain wise? I personally would have either checked into a hospital or check out lol :SS

Hope you don't have to wait much longer to see and be treated by new PM :grin:" alt=":grin:" height="20" />

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I think in England this must work differently, as a dentist her would just advice we see the doctor! So i apologise if i have given you the wrong information :S

Angie :H
  • Well, I've never heard of it work this way here either, BPIH, but I'm trying to be optimistic.
  • Have you gotten an appointment date yet? Hope so! Pain is hell...
This discussion has been closed.