Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am so sick - cold going full blast now

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
Well, most of you've seen my other post in pain medications about if I could take Theraflu after the onset of a cold that hit me Sunday. (I can and have been, not that it's helped much.)

Yesderday was a little worse than Sunday, but as I woke up and felt a bit better, of course I got my Wally out for a walk. We met my little rainbow, Jeanne (70-yr-old friend), who we walk with and Wally's girlfriend little Kati (ok, not so little at 55 lbs.), and she told me she had this cold and that the first two days are the worst. So I figured that I'd feel better today (Tuesday). She said that she would wake up in the middle of the night coughing and with sore sinuses, but it went away rather quickly, after two days. That didn't happen to me last night, so I thought I'd be getting off a bit easier than Jeanne did.

So that puts me in the weenie catagory for Sunday because today is the worst I've felt so far. This morning (it's 3am on Tuesday) I feel like total dog doodoo. I've woken up with what she explained, bad cough and terribly sore sinuses. I'm drinking Theraflu, which doesn't seem to help, have a job interview tomorrow which I'm considering asking the guy if we should wait until Friday, wishing I had someone here to go get me chicken soup, go get me better medicine and just baby me like my mom used to do. I have the afphgan my mom made me years ago, which is nice for the days, but being the middle of the night, I have the wonderful fuzzy blanket my hubby bought me as a surprise before my first surgery, knowing my recliner would be my bed for the first two weeks.

Ok, I'm rambling now. Yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself, I've been stuck in the house for what will be three days, am up in the middle of the night not knowing if I'll get back to sleep and feel yucky. (Stop here due to TMI, but even woke having lost bowel control in the middle of the night).

We're lucky that the pain meds and muscle relaxers really do help with the body aches which can be debilitating, but what to do about the sinuses and coughing? Guess I might make a trip to the drug store today sporting my ball cap. Of course, a hot shower might just feel wonderful if I can stand long enough for one. Ooopsy, now I just realized that after my middle-of-the-night "incident", a shower will definitely be on my morning schedule.

Ok, I'm done ranting now. Hope you all don't get this nasty little sickness, frankly it sucks.

Hope you all are sleeping,

• Cathie I feel so bad for you. Hopefully you got back to sleep and will wake up feeling a bit better.
  • Hiya >:D< You are not alone with the flu. I have been in bed since sunday, got no energy, I have a bad cough, which i have hurt my back because of coughing so much, i feel so weak and also feel like dogdodo :sick: Wishing you well and hope you feel better soon >:D<

Angie :H
  • Can you see your Dr. today or you're not able to get there because you're so ill? We have a medvisit here where a Dr. will come to your house to check you out. Don't know if you have that there where you live? Anything other than clear returns for your sinuses or any color sputum should get seen even to help with stronger cough meds. I wish I could bring you some hot lemon tea and some chicken soup. Prayer you feel better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You are suffering so much, I wish I could get you that afphgan or a nice hot chicken soup!

Maybe you dont have a cold maybe Its a sinus infection. My older son just had this and was sooo sick for more then a week (he's away in college, he was taking otc everything), finally he went to doc, good thing he did, he got antibiotic (Z pac) and within 3 days he was a new man. His symptoms were cold like that's why he waited, doc said this is going around and if left turns into lung infection too.

Not to be too yuky, but check to color in your tissue after you blow your nose, if its green (light neon or yellowish, puss like - I know TMI) you may need doctor. I would call doc/nurse, just to see what they say

Feel better!
    Ps that's awful about the interview, be honest I'm sure the interviewer won't want to catch what you have and can reschedule you.

Lots of mom like energy to you Cath!

• Hi Cath,

I've got it too and I am miserable. When I feel like this even the simplest of tasks seem so difficult.

Hang in there, hopefully it will be over soon.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry you're still feeling crappy. I hope that it's not long lasting and that you feel much better soon.

Hopefully after your shower you will start feeling better. Please let us know how you are.

• Sorry you're feeling so bad. Hopefully the worst of it is over and you'll start bouncing back!!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I am so sorry you are sick. :(

Have you ever tried a neti pot? They sound gross but my husband while hates doing it swears by them. Within a few hours of using one he feels at least 50% better.
    The other thing he uses ( he has horrible sinus issues ) is there is these "tablets" about the size of the ones you put in your toilet tank ( nice image lol ) and you toss them in the shower with you and the "medicine" in them releases. These really help him as well.

Any ways - excuse my chatter - hope you feel super great soon :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • you tried filling a bowl of boiling water , then put a towel over your head and bowl and breathe in the steam, can help with the sinus

feel better soon , hot chicken soup on its way,
    :) though it mite be a little cold by time it gets there

hugs flower
  • It's 3am again and here I am and I have an interview at 11am this morning. I can only imagine what I'm going to look like. Mascara ain't gonna cover this ugly mug and its repercussions from this cold. Good thing it's not a beauty contest.

I went out yesterday but only managed to get the basic errands done and had to punt on the rest. I'll try to get the rest done on my way home from the interview (pet store, etc.).

I've been taking Musinex and am drinking Theraflu right now.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Don't know how I'll make it through this coming morning, I just hope I can get back to sleep before 4:30am like yesterday.

This is a bugger...

• For sinus I use the Sinus meds that everyone sells, With Tylenol. I dont have any in my pain meds, so it helps. I get very bad joint pain, when I have a cold, so that is the best that I can do for myself.

I have had really awful sinus issues this year, caused a lot of head and neck pain for the last month.

I have found that green tea and "NeoCitran" [edit if I am not suppose to name something]

At times like this, my pain meds drop in usefulness and I have to use everything I can, to keep myself comfortable. And yeh - I take 2 HOT showers a day, to keep myself warmed up.
  • I hope you feel better soon. I think all of us spineys should get a "pass" on the colds/flu. We have enough crap to deal with!

Good luck on your interview!

• Yeah, these colds not only affect the sinuses but it seems that the pain gets into the bones and the muscles. My meds are helping that. The Musinex is helping to loosen up my chest congestion and the Theraflu is just nice to drink at 3am because it's warm, tastes good and makes me sleepy.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of others that are being affected by seasonal stuff like I am and I hope you're all getting better.

Take care.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I hope that you got some more sleep this morning and woke up feeling better.

I'll be thinking of you and wishing you the best of luck on your interview.

• I slept until 4 this morning, so I think I'm getting better. LOL I don't know which is worse - to have to get up at the wee hours because you're sick or having trouble getting out of bed because you're too comfortable. (And I'm serious about that...I've done both.)

Hope everyone is sleeping comfortably right now.

• Cathie,

Fingers are crossed that you are sliding off that nasty mountain! I see your spirits are back up, so you probably are! *HUGZ*

• Hiya, >:D< How are you feeling today? Thois flu is awful, and ive never coughed so bad, all my neck back and round to my ribs feel bruised, ive coughed so much, the shooting and stabbing pain in my back when i cough, is just awful. I dont get a cold very often but when i do , i get flu. Ive been told by the doctor to ride it out just have hot lemonade and honey. The last time i had flu , i coughed so much i jarred my lungs, and ended up with pneumonia. still feeling like dog doodoo. :sick:

Angie #:S
  • Angie, sorry you're feeling so bad, but I feel your pain. The coughing is really awful, isn't it?

Thanks for the hugs, Brenda.

I slept until 5:30 this morning. My cough is much better, but now it's in my sinuses and I'm sneezing and sniffing like crazy. But much better than the congestion. I've been taking musinex and I think it's really helped with the chest congestion.

So I'm on the mend now. Thanks for all the well wishes and I hope all of you can stay away from this nasty stuff. Yuck.

• Cathie,

You're very Welcome! I have a family reunion coming up, and since I'm not around nearly the amount of people I use to, I am kind of in fear of catching something. Sigh.. (G) I normally don't just "catch" things, so 'a' hoping!

So glad to see things are swinging to the good side for you. Sinuses - I have a huge deviated septum (planning on getting that fixed soon), and sinuses are a daily issue with me, cold or no cold. Sorry you're in that mode now. Have you tried hot steam with eucalyptus oil? I find that cleans me right out - boil the water, add the oil, towel over head and pot - breathe - breathe - deep breath! Aaahhh.. :) *HUGZ*

• I made it to 4am this morning. I slept with my wedge pillow last night in an attempt to keep elevated to allow my sinuses to drain in a downward position, but because I tend to sleep on my side, I woke up at 4 with not only a cough but my lumbar spine is hurtin' like crazy.

I thought I'd be able to get back to sleep in my recliner, but it's looking like it'll be a nap day today instead. When I take out my earplugs, you know I'm up for good. LOL

I might get out and get some eucalyptus oil and try your little trick. I don't care what I do - if I can just feel better. Well, I do feel better, but I'm still not up to speed or even close. I also have a deviated septum, but don't plan on getting it fixed anytime soon, so my right nostril is a problem. When you're having problems breathing anyway and one of those get into the act, it makes things worse, doesn't it?

So, I just took some of my spine medications and I think I'll get caught up on SH stuff now.

Brenda, I hope you don't catch anything from someone along your road trip. This crud seems to be everywhere, so be defensive and take some good body stuff like fish oil, pomegranite, etc. The best defense is an offense!

Hope the majority of you are still asleep and having pleasant dreams.

• I use a saline spray and a steroid inhaler to keep the nasal passageway clear and got less infections. I have had my deviated septum repaired and have had less infections since then but still use saline spray and steroid inhaler. I hope you start feeling better soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Cathie,

For me, I am amazed how well the eucalyptus oil cleans me out. My septum is so deviated (huge as my ENT calls it), it is affecting both nostrils - the right more so. So if my allergies or a cold comes up, I get plugged pretty fast and hard. I wake up most mornings plugged up, and too coughing until I clear all that junk out of there. I hope it helps you woman!!!

As Charry posted below, my ENT commented on. "Once you get that fixed, you will breathe better, will have less issues (effects) from allergies and colds. Less infections as well." Thanks Charry for showing me proof of that statement! Mine was caused by 3 different "broken nose" occasions! :) *HUGZ* that you're feeling better today Cathie.

• Hope you're feeling better today Cathie!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hiya cath, Hope your feeling better, i can emphasize with you.

Angie xx