Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dental Pain and Pain Meds

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Management
This is weird. Yesterday I went to the dentist for a cleaning. It had been a year because of the surgeries so of course I got the snide "we haven't seen you for a while".

The did the cleaning and then he cleaned up the edge of an old filling and did one small new filling. As soon as the novacaine wore off my teeth felt strange. Today I feel like a teenager who just got my braces tightened. Sore.

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Kris - yep. same feeling here. It lasted for a few days and then was gone.

I know others who have had the same feeling/experience.

I found that warm drinks, coffee, tea etc helped..

Hopefully yours will go away quickly :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Wheeew! I feel better. I wonder why this happens? Could it be the novacaine? Or are the teeth more sensitive because of the pain meds? I expected if anything that it would hurt less with the neurontin and Savella.

Thanks for reassuring me.
  • Kris,

Same here for me after a cleaning. I've always been a (still am hehehe) dental chicken. Like was said, warm liquids seemed to settle things down the best. Hope you're feeling better soon. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • i don't have this problem but i do think about something else when it comes to my teeth.
    What if my nerve pain medication masks nerve pain from my teeth and i could be unaware of a problem until it gets really bad. And... if you think the same way i do, what if the nerve pain med or pain med masks something going wrong in my neck too. :( Probably the reason I take oxycodone rather than oxycontin

I can always think of something to worry about. No wonder i don't sleep.!!
  • I go to a teaching dental facility.

I have choice as to if I see

The costs go down by about a third by seeing a resident instead of faculty and another third by seeing a student.

Ironically you will get the best, most thorough work by Students! It takes at least 3houre per appt as all work is preplanned and double or triple checked. It sure leaves me feeling at ease that my care is complete.
    The extra money left in my pocket helps too!
  • I am extremely lucky to have excellent dental insurance. And a dentist who is fantastic.

I have always been an easy dental patient. I prefer not getting novacaine because it takes longer for that to work than it does to get the work done. My dentist is a whimp =)) and won't do any work without it.

My teeth are still sensitive. Not as bad as it was but still not quite right yet.

Starshine I have similar thoughts. If I am medicated how would I know if the pain got better? Or how would I know if something else happened? In my case there will be more wear and breakdown. I was a bit annoyed when I gave the assistant the list of meds and she asked me if I could have novacaine - I mean is the patient really the one to make that decision?? And of course afterward I was wondering if the pain and tightness I am feeling was due to a drug interaction.

Oh well. Hopefully in another day this will be gone.
  • Great.....Actually I have the same problem. can you suggest me anything.
  • The medications that you are taking for whatever conditions you may have will not mask a dental problem. If you have a tooth infection or a broken tooth, the dosage of meds, even the nerve pain meds will not cover up an acute medical or chronic problem in another area of your body. Acute pain is different than chronic pain.
  • I fully agree with Sandi & the dentist offices/workers/Drs should know that.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • But want to add that my dentist always has me take a large dose of antibiotics before any dental work because of the titatium implants that I have. He says is very important when I have any work done. I just had another tooth crack which had to be pulled ( already had a root canal and crown on it) another wasted $2000 dollars and he even had me do antibiotics one hour before the extraction because of the metal implants in my neck and lumbar. They say it reduces the chance of infection that can very easy
    Get to the heart and cause a major issue.
    Has anyone else been told this. I have had three dentist and oral surgeons tell me so far and they keep me stocked with antibiotics just in case. They all say to take it one hour before anything dental cleaning, fillings or more.