Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

deep ache in the middle of the night

backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Sleep Problems
every night without fail i am woken by a deep ache it only goes when i get up and take pain killers .even when i am so tired i find that i am fighting waking up against the pain but the pain wins every time ,its hard to accurately describe because i dont feel that i could describe it well enough to get my point over to how bad it is .i know that's bad English .but this pain is very hard to even point too when ask to do so by a doctor .as its so deep within my lower back .{i have had previous surgery L4/L5 Laminectomy} and that was a mega failure hence the pain .just waiting for surgeon to decide on what the next move will be
1997 laminectomy
2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014

• i am just the same .what i do its get out of bed {there's no point in laying there in pain } come down stairs and get repositioned on my beloved recliner .take more pain killers and put my TENS on then try to get to sleep.i have found since i have stopped smoking things have gotten worse in the sleep department and as for toilet issue {we wont go there} .i hope you can get some relief soon ba as i know how bad sleep deprivation is .have you seen you doctor about sleeping medication ? or are you already taking it ? STRAKER
  • Oh dear - I know exactly what you're talking about - even in your sleep, you're totally conscious of this deep, ache, ache. I am a really good sleeper, so I don't often get woken by the pain - but I'm also on a lot of meds, so I've slept through earthquakes, fires, screaming women, etc. etc.

But here is what I suggest - and of course the first thing is to discuss with your Dr (PM, I presume) - maybe the pain meds you take are running out while you sleep, so perhaps an extended release will help you get through the night (I have no idea what you're on) - If not, then I would consider sleep meds to see if they help - the two step ones like Ambien Cr that is like extended release (this is a tough drug though - this is like I say - to talk to the Dr about - just some things that worked for me).

Also - the #1 thing I did was got a GREAT bed - I have a Stearns and Forster Firm with pillow top - probably 2 x the price of a regular mattress (Macy's has them for about $1500 on special) BUT SO, SO WORTH IT - it has killed my nightime aches (so long as I take my meds) - I have very little money, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this bed - worth every penny.

If you're not getting a full night sleep - I'm a big believer in naps. I believe if our body wants to sleep, then sleep. Just my opinion.

All the best.

Hope you get some good sleep soon.
This discussion has been closed.