Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fentanyl Patches Recalled!

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Water Cooler
I know we are not suppose to post links here, so this may be removed. However since it is about an danger to drug many of us use, it may be allowed.
If link is removed just google the information and I am sure you will find it.

Over 1 million fentanyl patches are recalled - http://www.arthritistoday.org/news/fentanyl-patches-recall094.php?WT.mc_id=54fentanyl

Company name is drug maker Actavis Inc. The patches included in the recall have expiration dates ranging from December 2011 to April 2012.

The thing that has people upset is the company is only telling retailers and wholesalers, not consumers.

From what I understand the med is being released too quickly into the body and causing sever breathing issues.

Thankfully I use Watson name brand..
L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• the info! gosh thats a dangerous effect.
    wasnt there probs with the patches before , i just cant remember the details at the moment. and they changed the way they were made ???
    flower ( off to check her patches)
  • I am not sure flower, I am only about 1 yr into wearing the patch. I will say though that this recall has me rethinking when I change my patch. I always change it right before I go to bed. By day 2 night time ( I change patch every 48 hrs ) I am in some pretty major pain, so I change it and go to bed. But I was reading some forums posts ( from link above ) and some people who change theirs at bed time never woke up. The patch leaked into their body all at once while they were sleeping and of course they nor any one else realized it. Scary stuff ! :OO
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thank you so much for this post!!!!! I checked my Fentanyl patches that I now get through the mail in pharmacy, and that is the exact brand, dosage, and epiration date range as mine. I am very concerned. I will have to call the pharmacy company in the morning. I wonder when I would have been informed if it were not for you.... Thank you sooooo much !!!

glo :)
  • I'm going to sign up for FDA notifications at their site.
    Glo-That's scary. I still will go on fentanyl in a couple of weeks. But something to watch out for. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • yes scary allrite! mine are a different brand too.

glo , you should take yours back to the pharmacy and get a replacement different batch no.

charry, i get the emails from the FDA, but i dont allways read them, think ill pay more attention now!
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    formula - the newer type (Mylan - Sandoz - etc.) have the medication miexed in with the adhesive so there is no way for thrm to "leak" and cause an overdose. I specifically request the Sandoz brand from my natonal pharmacy and at close to $400 for 10 (a months suppy)they are happy to accomodate.

Good luck,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• for that info. i remember that there was a change made with them, but just couldnt recall right now , what it was.
    thanks for jogging my memory and the brand name advice
  • I knew about the grid type of Fentanyl patches that have the medication within the adhesive rather than the "pool" style that have leaked in the past. My insurance changed to a mail in pharmacy, and they changed my brand of patches to the "pool" style. This did make me uncomfortable, but I thought that they would be even more careful after what happened in the past. I called the pharmacy, and they verified that I had the batch. I called my doctor for a new prescription for my local pharmacy to hold me over until this is resolved. The mail in pharmacy called me back and told me that I was "not involved" in the recall, because my expiration date of September was not included. I got out my box, and it read 3/2012 for an expiration date. The pharmacist told me that the computer record had a different date. The 3/2012 date is included in the recall, and they never would have contacted me. This is wrong on more than one front. They made an data entry error that would have messed up the generation of a recall warning for me. Then she told me the warning is currently a level 3 which recalls current meds that are "on the shelves" at pharmacies and hospitals as dangerous. They have not taken it to the level of reaching the individuals that already have the products at home?????? The pharmacist agreed with me that this was crazy. Thank you MsHumptyDumpty!!!! I never would have known for sure! What a huge mess!! This really worries me. Thank you everyone for looking out for each other!!

Hugs from a fellow spiney,
  • that data entry error,is scary!

i dont understand why the manufactories of this faulty batch , have not done a mass media public recall.

ok, they have recalled of shelves, but what about the public at home ???? that are using them.

glo, sorry you had to go through this scare

• I am SO happy this post saved at least 1 person!

The link I posted in my first post, that article said that they were NOT letting the consumers know about the recall - unreal!!!! :jawdrop:

I don't even know how it is legal not to let everyone know !!! :angry:" alt=":angry:" height="20" />

Jean - so you now have a new script for a different name brand?

• Ms HumptyDumpty,

Yes, I am comfortably wearing a new patch right now by a different name brand that my husband picked up at our local pharmacy! One of the kind that Metal describes that are flat and don't have the "pool" that can leak;thank you Metal. You are correct that they are not informing the consumers. They are only removing them from the pharmacy shelves and from hospitals at this time. This is called a level 3 recall- crazy. I hope more people read your post MsHumptyDumpty!

Thank you flower. I was more concerned that something could have happened if I had not read MsHumptyDumpty's post than scared. I am also concerned about all the other people involved. It also brought to my attention that a simple computer entry error or record error could mean that you may never be informed of a recall of your medication. Now, that is scary!

Thanks again to the wonderfully supportive network of people on Spine Health that are looking out for each other!!

With heartfelt appreciation,
  • Hi Humpty,

I know we are not supposed to double post, but I think you may want to make a new post anyway due to the danger potential and post this under the pain medication forum. I only found this because I did a search for a med I may be switched to soon.

PS I'm going to pm you about the patch.
  • I just got called today about the Fentanyl Patch recall. They must have upped the level of the recall to include individual consumers or the mail in pharmacy decided to contact customers on their own. I just want to warn people that they should make sure that they don't have these patches as MsHumptyDumpty was kind enough to do before me. My boxes are orange and white boxes with the Actavis brand name. They are 25 mcg/h strength and have the Control Number: 30257 with an Exp. Date: 03/2012. This is not the only dates involved.Please refer to the link that MsHumptyDumpty previously listed in her post. Please make sure that yours are not involved by calling your pharmacy or Actavis at 1-817-422-7452. You should read your package to them and don't rely on their records, because they had the wrong exp. date for mine. If it weren't for MsHumptyDumpty, I would not have known or even have gotten this call today. The mail in pharmacy told me that they are now reviewing all data entry for the last six months on these patches to reach anyone that received the affected batches to check their dates. I hope they actually do what they said they are doing. See, MsHumptyDumpty what an impact your post has had!!! Thank you Again !! ((((((MsHumptyDumpty))))))
    Good Luck Everyone and Take Care!!