Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long to stay off NSAIDs????

jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery

I was wondering how long spinal fusion patients here have been told to avoid taking NSAIDs.
advertisement

Comments

• My doctor told me 6 months to a year depending on how the fusion is going. With my lumbar fusion it was a year.
  • Jellyhall,

On my first cervical fusion, I was restricted to 6 months, the second level add - he moved it to a year. Hope that helps.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• I am at 7 months after a lumbar fusion. At my 3 month check, x-rays taken at 8 weeks showed there was no sign of fusion yet, so I guess I should be cautious and wait until my 12 months x-ray.

As I am having pain from my neck and lots of headaches, I was wondering if it would be ok to take them, but I will try not to. I hope that on a particularly bad day, it will be ok to use them.

• Have you run this question by your surgeon? He might have an alternative medication that could do for you much like an NSAID? You shouldn't have to suffer, and headaches can be the worst! Gentle *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • I'm not to take any NSAIDs either, but don't know for how long. Will ask that question when I go in for my next check in a couple of weeks.

I was told that acetaminophen is okay to take so that may be something you could use.
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I am going to google acetaminophen, to try to see what other name it goes by, as I haven't heard of it.

Well, what do you know, it is Paracetamol!! That is what I have been taking.
  • My surgeon is not a good communicator!

I haven't seen him since my 3 month appointment.
    I think he would probably say that it is fine to take NSAIDs. They were given to me while I was still in hospital after my fusion surgery. I asked him about taking them as they impede fusion, and he said yes that is true, but that he didn't think it would be a problem as he had put bone graft in a cage in place of my disc as well as down each side of my spine beside the screws and rods.

Well, my x-rays taken at 8 weeks showed no sign of fusion at all, so I am being very careful!

I am waiting to get the results of my cervical MRI scan, so hopefully when I see someone about that, I will ask about taking pain medication for that. On a day to day basis, I am not taking medication.

I do take something when I have a very bad headache though, otherwise I cannot function. I would usually take NSAIDs, as they work best, but have been just taking Paracetamol since my surgery to try to not harm my fusion. I am getting more headaches lately and sometimes the meds aren't dealing with them, hence my question.

I have also started having balance/dizzyness issues, especially when I close my eyes. It's a good thing that I still have my handle on the shower wall from my surgery. When I close my eyes to wash my hair, I often have to grab it as I start to wobble!!! :O

>:D< >:D<
  • Hi Jelly,
    I was given diclofenac in hospital post op and was advised to take ibuprofen when my wound was infected. So I had no instruction not to take it. I have taken loads during the recovery and have still fused solid. I did ask my GP about it and she wasn't worried either.
    Seems like most science there is some debate around these things.
  • Jelly,

At around 6 weeks my NS put me on like 2000mgs a day of Neproxin to try and knock the swelling down. Within 24 hours, I had a rash from head to toe! Swelling so bad I almost couldn't move. I stopped the medication as soon as I saw this happening and told my NS. He blamed my rash initially on my Beta blocker I'd been taking for around 3 years at that point! My pharmacist said it was a mix of being allergic and too a bad interaction with my Beta blocker!

I then let my swelling go down the old fashioned way, mixing heat with ice, and rest. I never want to look like that again - looked like a body of raspberries! I would almost bet that each doctor looks at them differently. I too like you asked "isn't this going to be a negative to fusion?" Like yours, yep, but since it is only for a short time (I think the amount he gave me was for 5-10 days?), it shouldn't negatively affect the fusion." Hummm... I guess that's why we pay them the big bucks? (G)

Brenda
  • Hi Jelly,

I've been wondering what Paracetamol was, lol. You must be in the UK? Here in the US acetaminophen is the generic name for Tylenol.

Sorry to hear about you not having fusion yet. image My surgeon also put what he called "bone substitutes" (along with my own allograft) into the plastic cassettes/cages that went in as spacers between my vertebrae. He also sprinkled the bone substitutes around the hardware along the sides of my spine. I thought I might have heard wrong but since your surgeon did that also it must make sense--I just don't understand it. Maybe it's like "seeding" clouds to make it rain so you can reach the end of the rainbow--fusion! image There isn't any bone out in that area to grow so there must be some other reason that explains it.

My 6-week check-up is on the 14th and they will take x-rays to look for signs of fusion. I'm REALLY hoping they see those little "specks of cotton" on my x-ray because that will mean I can get out of this claustrophobic brace. Do I sound like I'm complaining? Oh, sorry, lol. image

Let us know what your cervical scan shows, dear jelly--hope it's nothing bad.
    Linda

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
advertisement