Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post microdecompression L3,4

ccjbphcccjbph Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, I am a 53 y/o female who had microdecompression L3,4 about 3 weeks ago. The neurologist recommended the surgery because I developed numbness in my thigh and the MRI revealed a bulging disk at L4 and the nerve conduction study revealed nerve impingement at L3.
All this started back in April when I bent over and felt a very sharp pain in my lower right back, had to go to the ER for a shot and some pain medication. Seemed to be better and then developed pain running across the front of my thigh at the top of my thigh and just above me knee. Went to my ortho, he did a quick neuro exam, had me bend over and touch my toes, and I didn't have any pain. He found a tender spot on my right thigh and said he thought I had bursitis in the right hip and gave me a shot that was the most painful shot I have ever experienced. The next day I woke up and the front of my thigh was numb, called his office and they reffered me for the MRI. It did reveal a bulging diskat L4, the ortho send me to our local hospital for one of the anesthesiologist to give me an epidural injection to see if it would relieve the numbness, had the injection, no relief. The ortho then sent me to a pain clinic to have another epidural done, the doctor at the pain clinic said I needed an injection in my low back (can't remember the name of the area), it did relieve the pain, but not the numbness. 2 weeks later the pain was back, went back to the pain clinic he gave he 2 shots and imediately afterward I had a burning sensation that runs up and down the outside of my thigh with sensation like an electical shock. After this is when I wen to the neuro and he suggest one more epidural, no relief and then we did the microdecompression, but no relief yet. Has anyone else had anything like this to happen? Am I being too impatient? I guess I was expecting immediate relief, but after the surgery the neuro said give it 3 months to get the relief. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had anything like this happen to them or can give me advise.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i cannot help you with your answer but someone will be along to answer you i know. please make yourself at home and have a good look around.. stop by anytime. Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of great information on this site - great articles and animated videos - and the members of the forum are friendly, knowledgeable and supportive.

I have not had a Micro-D, but know a friend that did after years of pain. It did take her a couple of months to feel better, but had some immediate relief. But because she had so much pain for so long, that wasn't surprising.

You're still pretty early in your recovery at three weeks out and this is a critical point to make sure you adhere to restrictions and don't overdo anything. (Pay someone to rake those leaves in your yard. LOL)

I believe that any spine surgery, micro or not, is still major surgery because it's dealing with your spine. So try to be patient and take good care of yourself.

With that said, if at any time you're concerned, don't hesitate to call your surgeon to talk to him about your concerns. I know you did and he said it can take three months to feel better, so listen to him. One of the big problems with spineys is being impatient for relief. But it really does take time because it was surgery, after all. Plus, some heal faster than others.

Take care and again, welcome to the boards. Oh, you might want to check out the Recovering from Surgery section to get an idea of how long it's taking others to feel better and recover. You might be surprised that you're not alone.

• Thanks for your comments. I will try to be more patient. I just wished the doctor had told me it could take up to 3 months, then I would have been prepared, but he didn't, and I was expeting immediate relief. But I guess when you really think about it, if a nerve is damaged, it will take time for it to heal itself.
    I will continue to pray for patience and that within the 3 months the nerve will be healed and my symptoms will be gone.
    Take care,