Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

feeling alone in my pain

mrsblood312mmrsblood312 Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Lower Back Pain
hello all
Iam not sure if joinning this forum will help but Iam feeling so alone in my struggle today. Ive been in pain with my lumbar spine since 2001 my first laminectomy. In 2004 they went back in saying I generated so much scar tissue at L4-5 it could be called "failed" . In 2005 a driver rolled my SUV while running a red light and I found myself in surgery number 3 this time with a fusion at 4/5 and an ADR at L3-4.
In the beginning friend , family and even my employer supported me on my road to recovery. but today it seems they are all so tired of hearing how painful this is when Iam have difficult time. I feel so alone in this battle. While the doctors have tons of medicines to get a person relying on to get through a functional day they have NOTHING to help the spirit deal with this for a lifetime.
Anyone feel like me?

• Welcome to Spine Health!!! My husband gets it, and is fully supportive. Before I retired (via disability), workers and the boss were the same way. Initial interest and concern all around. When the pain and weakness stayed, "they didn't get it." Most people look at surgery as "They go in, cut and fix you. You hurt for a while as you heal, then your healed!" Well, as most spine people know, surgery doesn't always stop the pain, maybe just the progression. Sorry to hear you are going through that. You won't find "understanding" to be a problem on this site! Welcome aboard!!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda thank you for the hug aqnd the warm welcome I definately needed it through the tears of today
  • You're very Welcome! *HUGZ* and support are free here, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! :) Glad you found us!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Chronic pain isn't something people understand until they witness it either for themselves,or they are very empathetic and can feel your pain on a level that most can't.But even those type can't possibly be expected to understand it every minute of every day like those of us who live it.

I know what you mean mrsblood,and though I have been a CP patient for over 25 yrs it never goes away,and I'm always adapting to change.
    Everyone here understands that feeling I'm sure.Welcome~ :)))
  • It's bad enough having chronic back pain, without feeling that you're totally alone and that people often don't truly understand what you're having to deal with on a daily basis.

Have the doctors offered you any other options to try and control the pain? Have they identified exactly where the pain is coming from? Have you talked about, for example, having physiotherapy, epidural injections, radio frequency ablation, TENS machine, hydrotherapy etc. as well as perhaps changing your current medication to see if anything else works better for you?

Obviously I am only a lay person here, but I'm speaking from 5 years experience of chronic back pain and I tried ALL conservative methods that were offered to me!

You'll find Spine Health very supportive. You are NOT alone! We all know how pain affects every aspect of our daily lives and it is difficult to deal with it sometimes. Research the articles on this site, they're very informative.

I hope you can get some professional feedback soon on whether you have any other options available to you. Please let us know how you're getting on OK?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • We do understand, CP is relentless. It has been for myself, and yet, I manage to have occasions of relative comfort.

The mind is something that I must keep working with on a daily basis. At times, I have all the strenght I need and more to spare, other times, I need to slow down and just look after myself.

I have found that looking after myself, guilt-free, is about the only way to consistently keep myself on the positive side of life, on a continuous basis.

There are many here, who have great outlooks on this! Cheers to you and welcome.
  • It's rough when no one even your family understands. My co-worker friends stop calling also for the most part and extended family had seen me at my cousin's wedding with a cane and were freaked out what happened with my back injury but no one calls to ask how I'm doing except close family and ask if I'm feeling better at all with any treatment and I say yes a little but it gets so old. I don't know if you have EAP employee assistance program at your work with your benefits to contact a Counselor to talk with. I had to talk with someone about the changes in my life before I joined here to help get it out. But feel better being here. We're here to support you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • thanks everyone for the welcome and support.

Being here Iam Also hoping to find someone out there with my type of corrective spinal surgery- as Iam hitting a wall with what to do next and good doctors

If there is anyone-or ANYONE that knows anyone with my combination of both an artificial disc and an adjacent fusion (lumbar) at would be sooo helpful compare war stories.

Before coming here-It seems like there arent many of us. When in 2006 when my surgery was done (in NYC Lennox hill hospital) FDA didnt recognize "hybrid constuction" as a common option in america
  • i have a supportive wife and other family members but pain is a very lonely problem .in fact sue and i have a talk the other day talking about pain and the fact that back pain is almost invisible and i we have a cast on us or something that the outside could see life may be made a bit more bearable because others could recognise that we have a problem .your not on your owe even tho it may feel like it sometimes .just try and stay focused and remember that you are very important ,and a survivor back pain is torture and you are doing very well coping every day ..i am waiting for a ALIF fusion and i am having to wait a long time and i am finding it hard .but we back pain sufferers area hard lot and we can do it ..just keep telling yourself that and never moss out on treating yourself when you can
  • So happy you found us, now you need never to feel alone.
    All of us know that feeling, and it is not a good feeling.
    Chronic pain is a complicated illness and no one really understands unless they have this illness.

If you will type ADR in the search box at the top of this page perhaps you can find someone who has had one. I believe there was someone on here some time back who has had this procedure done.

Best of luck dear. Sending a hug coz you need one.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
This discussion has been closed.