Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal injections

tcr1130ttcr1130 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Spinal Injections
Wanted to get any information that anyone has for me., before we went thru my 2 level xlif, i had many many spinal injections, some for facet joints some for sciatic pain, all in all had very many of them., the shots didnt help much and finally got to the point they did nothing i had had to have the two level lumbar xlif done.

shortly after the surgery i continued with abnormal amounts of pain.... it took a second doctor in the practice looking at my charts to say the problem is right there i have two screws placed into the facet joint space ( thats how he explains it) so i need to have a plif now to remove everything from the xlif and have a plif done, the doctor told me this would be hard recovery because the doctor before him, kept me on my back brace this entire time, and since its been so long the doctor advised staying on, the lack of movement in that area is better if i keep the brace on, he commented i would have no back muscle strenth to go thru the plif, and i would have a harder time because they cut thru the muscles obviously and ive been in a brace so long they are weak..

any how my questions i started getting these injections again, i get 6 of them at most appointments and get the every 6-8 weeks, but even though i have asked im really never told what the side effects are of the injections., can anyone enlighten me on what those, i trying to drag this second surgery out as long as possible with these shots and fentynal patches..... but in doing so im not sue what damage im doing to body if any with these spinal injections , especially since i get so many of them

thank you for reading!!!!

• The possible hazards of ESIs are bleeding,spinal headache from a puncture,infection,nerve damage,and arachnoiditis.Most of these risks come from the needle being inserted too far,but arachnoiditis has been linked to both ESIs and myelograms along with trauma/surgery and infection.

Arachnoiditis is a debilitating condition characterized by severe stinging and burning pain and neurologic problems. It is caused by an inflammation of the arachnoid lining—one of the 3 linings that surround the brain and spinal cord. This inflammation causes constant irritation, scarring, and binding of nerve roots and blood vessels.
    The predominant symptom of arachnoiditis is chronic and persistent pain in the lower back, lower limbs or, in severe cases, throughout the entire body.

ESIs can be helpful,but I take them very seriously and try to only get one if I have no other choice..kind of a last stop before surgery.I prefer not to have steroids at all,but have found that some Drs simply don't want to take no for an answer.