Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back pain

Misty RainMMisty Rain Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi everyone, Ihave been having lower back pain since 2008 ,had spinal fusion on L5-L6 in Sept. 2009 still hurts like before surgery,now i am in pain management pills dont help for a long period of time they want to try a spinal stimulator but i had to go to a neurosycologist to see if i can deal with one, well i am diagnosed as major deppressive well who didnt know that,,,, now they are telling me that because i am depressed it is just all in my head..... i could just scream. has anyone out there had this happen?

• I'd like to give you a quote from a book called Transdermal Magnesium Therapy by Mark Sircus.
    "Magnesium deficiency is common in people with depression
    URL's Removed

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Administrator Dave
  • That is terrible! I have not been told it's all in my head, but did have a similar surgery as yours it kind of sounds like with a similar ending :(
    Of course we get depressed, who wouldn't! It sucks to give up half of your life because it hurts to much to do or enjoy it. Can you find a new or different doctor maybe? That doesn't sound right at all. Of course it isn't all in your head! Maybe you could take all of your medical information about your surgery, MRI's, etc, and find someone who can help you? Which doctor told you it was all in your head? The one that does the Stimulator's or a different type of doctor? What does your pain management doctor think about that? Maybe they could help you in finding a different resource or doctor? Take care - Marion
  • also i am not clear who thinks this is in your head. how can it be in your head if you had a fusion for your back. also pain meds don't get rid of pain completely. the pain will always be there when you take meds. narcotics work by putting pain in the background. you can take tons of pain pills and besides killing you it will still not take away all of your pain. try the stimulator, it helps a lot of people and also they have a morphine pump for extreem pain. it is normal to be depressed with chronic pain, your life is turned upside down and you can't do things you used to do. chronic pain will make anyone depressed.
    good luck but please let us know whom is saying it is your head.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • What exactly did they say? "All in your head" is not a proper diagnosis, so I'm curious to know exactly what was said to you that you interpreted as meaning that they think it's all in your head.

There are several things they could have diagnosed. They could have diagnosed a somatic component. They could have diagnosed malingering. And on and on.

A somatic component is the most tricky, as it means that your depression is so severe it is starting to exhibit as physical symptoms. This does NOT mean ANYTHING is "in your head." This means the pain you are feeling is REAL. It is simply caused by something other than your spine and the treatment modality is different. You'd have to treat the pain while also dealing with the root causes.

A malingering component would mean that the pain is being exaggerated to avoid stresses in every day life. Again, the treatment modality would be different. In this case treating the pain is secondary to coping with life stress.

There are more, but I guess my point is that psychiatrists/psychologists do not tell patients that pain is "all in their heads." If someone has interpreted a report in that way to you, you need to figure out exactly what the report says and speak to a psychologist about it (preferably one who deals in these types of disorders). Because if it's true, all of the surgeries in the world aren't going to cure your pain.
This discussion has been closed.