Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycontin is now gone - My doctor wants me to try Subutex. Should I?

QuiltinouslyQQuiltinously Posts: 152
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
Quick review: Since the Oxycontin generic is all gone (some pharmacies may still have a few dwindling pills), I need to switch in a couple of weeks to something else or pay for the brand name version which is over $400 more!

My doctor is excited about Subutex. He told me that if he were me, he's take it instead of Oxycontin.

Have any of you taken it? Does anyone know anything good or bad about it? I guess it is a form of Suboxone, but with out the nauseau causing ingredients that keep addicts from abusing it.

He wants me to take Subutex as a daily pain medication unlike Suboxone which I guess is mostly used to help people rapidly get off opiates.

Otherwise, I can take MS Contin again which didn't work very well, but this time at a higher dose or try a patch of some kind. Should I try Subutex? I know you guys aren't doctors, just share your experience please.

Thanks in advance for the input!

• I work in a prison here in England and when I saw your post I was quite surprised.
    Subutex has been given to prisoners/inmates over here if they're known heroin users and risk withdrawl problems.
    That was certainly the case up until February 2009 and may still continue but as I've been off with my back issues things may have changed in my absense.
    I'm taking Oxycontin twice daily and have to see my doctor in a few hours time as I need to increase the dosage. I'm concerned because it's now 13 days til my fusion surgery and I've been told to STOP taking my diclofenac(NSAID) a week before the surgery and I'm worried the effect this might have on my pain levels.
    Time will tell I guess.

Good luck to all having surgery this month or any month for that matter.

• Scott,

My understanding is that Suboxone is given for a rapid detox for heroin users and others who are addicted or dependent on opiates. Somehow it gives addicts a quick detox without the withdrawls. That would make it perfect for prisoners or anyone else who wanted/needed to get off opiates quickly.

I guess it is also used as a pain medication by some pain management doctors. That is what my GP doctor thinks and he has begun using it with his chronic pain patients. It scares me though.