Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Forum, but not to Back Pain

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all. I have been a "lurker" for a few months since finding this forum, and finally decided to come out from behind the shrubbery!

I'm a 62 y.o. woman with a wonderful hubby, two awesome sons and three beautiful granddaughters. I work full time (out of necessity - would love to cut down to part time, but can't at the moment)

I cannot remember a time when I did not have some sort of back discomfort. For starters I have scoliosis. Back when I was in school, there was no screening - we didn't know anything about scoliosis and I, along with several family members including my Dad, were said to have "one hip higher than the other". So since I was a young adult, if I overdid, stood too long without using good posture, I would get a backache.

Three years ago, I was in my car and simply turned my body so that I could back up, and a pain shot through my back. I didn't think much of it, and continued on my way to work. By the time I was driving home that night, I could barely switch my foot from the gas to the brake without pain. Ended up with sciatica and terrible back pain caused by a bulging disk.

I have been overweight for most of my adult life and now have arthritis/DDD. Since that time 3 years ago, I have been receiving ESIs fairly regularly, and have had pretty good success. I had one in late September (bi-lateral) which worked well on the right side, but seemed to have no effect on the left. In late Oct. my PM decided to repeat the ESI just on the left side. I was in so much pain that day that I asked for a wheelchair to get me up to the procedure room.

The shot did nothing. This is highly unusual for me. However, Dr. feels that even though I have always been a good responder, that I should wait a full 2 weeks before looking more closely for the cause of my pain. He prescribed Vicodin, which takes the edge off the pain. I do have to say that today (1 week post-injection) I feel better than I did last week at this time, but not enough to feel comfortable going out of the house on my own. I went to work on the day after the ESI (as I always have), and was in such pain I had to go home. And I've been here ever since.

So here I am, sitting at home, wondering what to do, counting the days, with the strong feeling that this is going to be a long process. I have no more paid sick time, which makes me more nervous with each day that goes by.

By joining this forum, I just hope to get some support and the knowledge that others are in the same boat. Thanks.

• Welcome to the site, glad you decided to join in after lurking a bit. Think that is what we all did at beginning.

Chronic pain is bad enough, then the boredom,and worry of economics added is so stressful.

I really hope that you get some relief, hope that for everyone.

Again, just wanted to give you a warm welcome
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of informative and useful information throughout the site in the form of articles and animated videos (no gory stuff) and the members of the forum are very helpful, knowledgeable and supportive. I'm glad you stopped peeking over the fence and finally came through the gate. It's nice to have you here.

So many times, it's support that we really need because nobody but a fellow spiney understands the pain, frustration and helplessness that comes with spine problems. We'll be here to help you where other may not be able to.

I'd say that if not all, most of us have arthritis and DDD in our spines. I will say we all have DDD because every person does, it's just a matter of how bad it is as you age.

I understand how scary it is to be waiting and not being able to work. In this economy, it's as if employers are just waiting for a reason to let someone go. However, if you've been at your job a long time and it's a stable company, you probably will be ok. I really hope so.

I also hope that the ESI finally kicks in and helps you. I assume that with what your doc said that there hasn't been any discussion of what will happen if the ESI is not successful. That's probably a good thing. But if it doesn't, and you find yourself on an uncomfortable road, we'll be here to answer your questions and support you. But I'm hoping for the best and that you get relief within the next week.

Take care and let me know if there's anything I can do to help you.

• Hi Moonlight,

It's a real bummer to spend so much of your life with back pain! I can relate, at least from the age of 25 when I herniated my first lumbar disc. Life changed for me after that.

It's understandable that you're nervous about not being able to go back to work. Unfortunately, there are many "spineys" on the forum who have faced the same kind of economic challenge. You'll find plenty of empathy for your situation!

Let us know what your surgeon decides to do next, and how it turns out. Glad you came out of "lurk" mode to joint the discussions! :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you decieded to stop by.. be sure and have a good look around and make yourself at home.. this is a great place for new friends and can make a long day go by a lot faster!! pleases stop by anytime!!! Jenny :)
  • I am six weeks out from L5-L4 fusion. I am the slowest healer on the planet. I am a teacher. My principal is very unhappy about my absences and is trying to get rid of me. I consulted a lawyer from my union. The good news is that I was offered a contract for next year. This is particularly amazing when all the districts around us are laying off teachers left and right.

I have been getting about three hundred dollars a paycheck but just found out that will cease the end of this month. My home is paid for thank God.

I have filed a disability claim with The Standard. I am worried I will be denied based on the "pre-existing clause."

I am terrified about finances. With not much to do it gets in my head a lot. Maybe I can work some kind of job during the summer. Any ideas or experience with this issue would be appreciated.