Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle Pain First - Then Comes The OMG Pain ?

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
I am wondering a few things about this. I almost always get muscle pain in my lower to middle of my back and then within minutes to 2 hours comes the Level 10 pain in area of my actual injury location. At that point no BT meds help. The only thing that helps is laying down for several hours.

One would think after 6 yrs those muscle would not hurt like this any more - I do the same thing pretty much day in and day out. Muscles should get stronger with use - right?

The muscle pain I experience is a burning type of pain and I definitely feel them "stretching"/pulling.

Also what is up with the level 10 pain after "stretching" or using the back muscles?

This fairly new - in the past 6 months or so. BUT I have been a tad more active. Note active to me means, I now dress myself, and cook our meals and do the basic household chores lol ;)

Am I alone with these happenings?

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• I can't help you with the muscle pain stuff but cooking and household chores are a pain. I cooked a roast yesterday so lots of chopping and standing, then did the dishes and omg. I'm still in horrible pain today because of it. I find things like dishes and laundry are the worst because I'm stand relatively still and bending a lot. Chroes are no joke and can cause serious pain so please be careful when doing them and only do a little each day to try not to hurt so bad. Most of the time I only cook and help take care of my kids, just having someone else do the dishes saves me a lot of pain that day and the next. I hope someone can help you answer the muscle pain part
  • I have the burn in my lower back pretty bad all the time, but it isn't muscle, it's arthritis. Feels like muscle. I used to think it was until the ole' MRI said otherwise...
  • Mouse would arthritis some how make my injury area hurt so badly? I mean if the other areas I am talking about that burn, would that some how then "move" into my injury area or make my injury act up?

I was told I have arthritis of the spine and bone spurs of the spine as well. I am loaded with arthritis. It is in my knees, hips, fingers etc. So maybe you are closer to what is happening then I am :)

ezra - Thank you. I am very careful & trust me I do only get a little done each day - very little lol ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I have arthrosis in my thoracic spine, and at times I get similar feelings to what you are describing. Mouse I think is pretty much on to something there. My back does it too, but when doing chores or standing more than 5-10 minutes.

I've noticed when *it is* muscle stuff, it radiates out along said muscle verses staying in the general area of the spine. I (for mine) vote arthrosis (arthritis) is my burn/ache. Hope that helps.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • i feel like my lower back will brake in half when i am walking or standing or even clean the apartment but i try to push myself to do more when i do its really gets bad does you back feel like its going to brake in half Ms. Humpty Dumpty ? i am so sorry you feel so much pain i am really really sore right now because i did to much yeturday and i am paying for it because i did to much hang in there i am here if you need to talk
  • A little off topic, but as I prep for surgery I'm reminded of on reason why describing your pain as a 10 is probably not a good idea :)

I am trying to get my PM and Ortho behind the idea that I will need an increase in pain meds post-surgery. If you're already living with 10 pain, there's no way for it to get worse. I am already really hoping I haven't been overestimating my pain levels!

So you might want to leave a little wiggle room in there on the pain scale in case something ever gets worse and you need to describe it. I use this pain scale now:

URL Removed (scroll down to the color chart).

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Administrator Dave

• I know not everyone is the same, but for me that is the case. I have RA pretty badly in all my joints, sounds similar to you. Fingers, elbows, hips, back/spine really bad and my big joints. Where my fusion was in my lower back is encased in arthritis and the doctor said it is pushing on nerves, muscles, bones, etc and that also causes the burn. I would suspect that could very well be what you have going on as well. I recently started on celebrex and it has helped a lot. I have a hard time taking stuff like that because I have had a couple surgeries to have my esophagus wrapped due to numerous ulcers and breakthru’s so have to be super careful. I take prilosec twice a day to try to keep the esophagus in order and have noticed the celebrex tends to give me heartburn and makes me throw up. So, now I take it every other day instead of everyday which seems much more tolerable and at least I have every other day that is less arthritis pain so that is helpful. My son-in-law just found out he has RA too, which made me cry, he is only 28. Much to young to start with this crap. He is on some type of new medication that takes time to start working, a few weeks but is supposed to work very well and is better tolerated than most anti-inflamitories. I can get the name for you if you’d like to maybe talk to your doc about it? I know I am going to get the name of it and talk to mine about it and see what she thinks. Anything is worth a shot right! Well, I hope you are having a better day today with less pain and lots of tenderness  Hope this helped a little.. Marion
  • I can relate to that feeling. Sometimes it does feel like it will just break in half and my upper part will just topple over. Then when you sit down it takes a long time for that to ease back off. It stinks when all you want to do is take care of your home, or yard or do something you enjoy. I get so damn mad!!!
This discussion has been closed.