Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

to sleep or not to sleep

LasVegasLLasVegas Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Sleep Problems
Neck/spine pain from recent car accident. Prescribed Percocets for pain. If I take the Percocets , the pain will minimize but my mind races and can not get to sleep. then I am absolutely exhausted the following day when I do get uninterrupted hardcore cloma like sleep.

The alternative is not take the Percocets and have a painful night sleep.

hmmm...to sleep or not to sleep, that is the question!?

• Have you talked to your doctor about this? Maybe they can prescribe something different than the percocet, or something to help you sleep on the nights you can't.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Exactly Smiley!
    LV, sorry to hear of your pain. Surely, your doctor can prescribe an alternative pain med or a mild sleep aid, or perhaps an anti anxiety med, like valium, which can also help with muscle spasms.
    So, to answer your riddle, sleep!
    Sweet dreams Las Vegas.

• While I was waiting for my facet inj and epidural inj this past Wed am, I mentioned to the nurse that I wanted to let my dr know of the sleep issues I have w/ Percocet keeping me up all night. She said she will speak w/ the dr and have something prescribed for me after I wake up from anesthesia of this procedure. I awoke to a script for Lortab. Thought Lortab is just like Percocet but as a strong. Have not taken anay yet, but thinking since these 2 meds are similar, the results will most likely be similar as to my sleep issue. Hmmmm, guess I will have to try today and see. My followup appt with my dr is not until next week.
  • No, Lortab is a different medication.
  • To expand, instead of just saying they're different;

Lortab is hydrocodone, a Schedule III class narcotic.

Percocet is oxycodone, a Schedule II narcotic.

They are similar in chemical make-up and side-effects, but oxycodone is more potent than hydrocodone.
  • seems to me that the dr should've prescribed something that will help me sleep better, not a similar pain med that is less potent
  • Maybe he was thinking a less potent med, that would still help with your pain, might lessen the non-sleep issue?
  • Maybe, will know tonight!
    smiley735 said:
    Maybe he was thinking a less potent med, that would still help with your pain, might lessen the non-sleep issue?
  • Hope it works out for you!!
  • My oxycodone rx is 30mg every 4 hrs, I try to stretch it so that I only take 5 pills per day (on a really excellent day I've gotten by on 4, rare though).

The oxy does cause insomnia for me especially with my high dose 150-180mg per day. My pm gave me script for restoril 30mg, which I've been taking for about 6 weeks now, but I still only average 4 hrs of sleep per night, usually in the wee hours, like after 3-4 am! But with all the meds I am on, I don't want a stronger sleeping pill, either.

I agree with Smiley's assessment, of the possible reason for the lortab script.

But do speak with your doc LV, especially if the lortab isn't providing adequate pain relief, we don't want you all night from pain either.

Good luck with your sleep tonight LV!

• saw my pain mgmt dr today and told her abot the situation Percocet keeps me in at night (can;t sleep cuz my mind races) and she gave me a script for Flexeril muscle relaxer and says this should do the trick. read some good things about Flexeril and am looking fwd to this at night
  • Hey LV, hope you had a peaceful night sleep!
  • Thanks, yes I did, in fact I overslept and was late to work, lol