Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lyrica and Neurontin

SteveSSteve Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
Combining these two drugs can can reduce side affects, or so says and article that I just read. I'm only taking 25 mgs of lyrica and already weight. Eeeek.

• I found Lyrica - was a double edged sword. Fluid retention was bad!
  • i had bad side effects with both. years ago dr took me off after a couple of weeks with them. i just stick to pain meds along with a naisd when needed. funny naids' sometimes work better with pain than my pain meds especially with sinus headaches or just pain in arm,leg or other parts of body but mostly i use it to bring down fever. i won't use the other drugs mentioned in this post, too much side effects which i don't want to deal with
    good luck
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • from both drugs .so much so that i had to come off them as i was going in to CCF {congestive cardiac failure!} caused by the drugs putting mega strain on my kidneys and filling me full of fluid .i could hardly breath and the pain from the fluid in my legs was unreal ..not a good experience and i also out on 3 stone on very quickly..if you can do without them ..i would
  • but only before bed. It works pretty well to keep most of the zaps of Nerve pain from stinging my butt and mostly in my feet at night, however… I have to make sure and take it by 8 pm. I have to get up at 5 am for work and if I take it any later than that, I cannot get out of bed! I cannot wake up! It is awful… I really don’t like that goofy, buzzy feeling at all so it’s o.k. while I’m sleeping but if I wake and feel like that, I just can’t seem to get my head together. I know a lady that takes it 3 times a day here at work and she is always nodding off at her desk. I can sure see why! My doc told me that it would help with the swelling in the balls of my feet at night. I don’t know why but she said it would be really helpful with that as well as the zappies during the night.
  • i guess it has it's benefits, but my paranoid state, i think sometimes dr's prescribe them because they don't want to prescribe narcotics. it's like take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning. i know it is supposed to be for nerve pain but backs are not just nerve pain, all sorts of reason for pain in backs besides nerve inflammation. if prescribed with pain meds, then it might help more. it did not with me like i said before. so if a dr doesn't want to write a script for a narcotic, they will go to these drugs instead.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • These meds are as good as it gets. They are truly effective. Why would they need an excuse to prescribe them?

And barring negative side effects (every medication has a subset of people who can't take it due to side effects), if this gets rid of pain as well as narcotics, why wouldn't physicians prescribe it instead, and why would anyone complain?

The truly great thing is that we can take both, and get the benefits of both. For those of us who have not found a way to comfort via narcotics, we have other options.

• HB,

I have to agree whole heartedly! Narcotics make me droopy and the pain is still there, Lyrica no longer gives me any light headed feelings, and the pain is knocked 80-85%. I've found other medications that my body just won't tolerate, and that is fine. I'm just very happy Lyrica isn't one of them! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • See, I’m the opposite. Neurontin turns me into a vegetable, and so does morphine. Lortab or percocett have no effect on me other than relieving nerve pain. I could not stand to be tired at work and I am pretty lucky they don’t do that to me!
  • Mouse,

I hear that! I take 300mg of Lyrica (150mg 2x a day) and fortunately I didn't get sleepy with it. Every once in a great while I will get a 'funny' feeling after I take it, so when I was still working, I took it after I got into the office.

No way I could take narcotics while at work, those buggers put me out! Oh, and for probably the first few months on Lyrica, I did retain water in my legs pretty bad, but finally that has even stopped. Whew!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I take Lyrica for post-op nerve pain in my leg. It is not for back pain, unless that pain can be documented as nerve pain. I'm on it three times a day and the side effect of making me loopy/dizzy has pretty much resolved. Occasionally, I end up loopy during the day but that's rare. There have been no unacceptable side effects yet--been on it for a month now.

These nerve pain meds, such as Lyrica, are specifically made to treat nerve pain and I can vouch for Lyrica being very effective. Oxycodone alone takes the edge off of the pain but never actually covers it. In the next week or so I'm aiming to be off all pain meds and just taking Lyrica. In my opinion it's worth it to work through the side effects, as long as they are not life-threatening or very objectionable.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • There are other similar medications to try, as well, besides Neurontin and Lyrica. If those two do not work or have unacceptable side effects, it might be worth trying some of the others.

I think about what long term daily use of acetaminophen is doing to my liver in terms of the norco. I wouldn't want to stay on it permanently.
  • I'm up to 400 mg of lyrica a day and up to 60 mg percocet but I generally only take 50. I have to say I love lyrica. Since starting it I've had so much pain from my legs gone. I now only have pain in my back, hips, pelvic, and butt area. It almost ever goes down my legs anymore. I also never had any side affects from it. I've been on the percs long enough that I no longer feel those hit my head like at first unless I haven't eaten. I was just upped on the lyrica to try to knock out the butt, hip, pelvic pain but haven't been on it at that dose long enough to tell anything yet. But yeah the point of that is that lyrica has helped me a good bit and I'm very thankful for it.

I hate that some people have such bad side affects from medications that actually can help. I would love to see the day when medications had no bad side affects but I hate to say I don't think that day will ever come

I'm intereasted in the acrticle though. If I understand the other posts it's taking that and no narcotics? I would love to be off of of percocet. But I should probably understand fully what I'm talking about first lol. But the point was taking these two things together decreases the side affects of both, do I understand that correctly?
  • Terrible weight gain and retention on Lyrica for me, but awesome pain relief! But due to the very quick weight gain (20-30lbs in about 3 weeks!) I switched back to Neurontin. I take 1800 mg (600mg x 3/day.) Not as good pain relief, but no nasty side effects for me like Lyrica. Except short term memory loss. What was the subject again? :|

I also just started 60mg of Cymbalta, worked up from 30, primarily for the ptsd/anxiety, but we're hoping it will do it's other work in the pain area as well.

I also take a max of 20 mg oxycontin (try to stick with 15 - 5mg x 3, but can take a 4th) and max of 20mg of percocet (1-2 5mg every 4-6hours, max 4 per day) but I leave the IR med til later in the day, to get relief from what I've had to do during the day.

I'm so hoping the neurontin/cymbalta combo will allow me to take less narcotics. Still in quite a bit of pain, but nowhere close to what it was prior to surgery (I couldn't sit upright or stand) but I do what I have to, and hate that I'm on narcotics. I'll just have to see how things work out when I try to go back to work on Monday.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Lyrica has been so great for me. I have been on it for a few year (2.5 maybe) and it has helped so much with my leg pain. I take 150mg 3 times per day (sometimes just 2 times if I am having a lazy day). It works really well as an add on with my pain medications. Before the Lyrica I was having alot of nerve pain in my legs esp at night time.

I had a little bit of side effects when I first started the medicine. I gradually upped the dose to where I am at now and that helped with alot of the side effects.

Neurontin never really worked for me.
  • I agree, however, a lot of people swear by them. Maybe there's a placebo effect, nut I doubt it. On 50mgs and can't get by the side effects like the vivid nightmares and crazy appetite. I'll probably throw the baby out with the bath water.
This discussion has been closed.