Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

360 fusion 8 mo post op ALMOST NORMAL!!!!

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wanted to update any old friends and encourage any new spineys waiting for fusion that success can happen. I am now 8 mo post op and and feeling the best I have in 3 yrs. I work full time as a nurse, go to pt still 2x a week, did my first zumba class tonight and DID IT!!! I have been wanting to zumba since it came out and couldn't because of my back. I am up to 45 min on the eliptical on my days off pt and usually swim once a week. I dance on the weekends and able to stay out with my friends pretty much as long as I want. I have a normal life back. No doubt it is a long challenging recovery but was the best (and most difficult) decision I ever made. This spinal forums was a life line for many months and so glad it is here. Lynette

• Lynette,

Congrats!!! What great news to share! Good for you!!! Always good to see "the ones that *did* get away!" Again, congrats!!! <:P :H :)))

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • That's just the BEST news !! Isn't it wonderful to be doing activities, like Zumba, which at one time you would never have thought you could do.

Keep enjoying life and take on new challenges as they come your way.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Lynette,

Congrats on a great recovery!! I have to admit I am envious!! Party on <:P

• and very encouraging for myself as i too need an ALIF was your done using key hole or was it done the old way {open} i have been told that i am having the open type surgery .keep well and dont over do it
  • I'm so happy to hear this sister nurse and this is great encouragement for all of us. What a positive story makes me want to zumba in my chair! Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • WooHoo! So happy for you! This is just fabulous news and so motivating and encouraging!

The thought of going out with friends, staying out AND dancing is exciting!

Live it up girl! You deserve it! :)

• Sounds like you are doing amazingly well.
    Keep it up girl!

I am also doing well and starting to feel like I am getting back to 'normal'. I think you are ahead of me, but you give me inspiration to keep on to reach the place where you are. :-)

Thanks for sharing your positive story with us. :D
  • We had surgery on the same day..you are definately ahead of me as far as recovery goes..That goes to show people how different we all heal.

I am slowly getting on with life..First week back to work with a new job...also a nurse!!! we rock!!

It was nice to hear from you

• a sucess story, really good to hear!. thanks for posting this , its encouraging.

zumba, whoo hoo, good one, thats what i want to hear

take care
  • Sooo glad to hear from all of you!!! I know I was always al little ahead of everyone in the post op recovery but you guys aren't far behind and you will get there.

Straker, as far a s the technique for the anterior portion of the surgery I have a 2-2 1/2 incision and they said they were using minimally invasive techniques for both front and back. I don't know if that is called a keyhole or what but all I know is they just hold everything to the side with retractors and it is just amazing what they did through that size incision. I must say the abdomen has given me much more issues with the recovery that the posterior portion. I tore something at about 8 weeks in the lower abdomen and I had to baby it sometimes through PT but most of the nerve fireings and odd feelings are pretty much gone.
    Tonya, glad to hear you are getting bak to work now. I was very lucky to have the job I did through this and could work and rest as I needed.
    And yes fellow nurses we rock!!!

It's goo to see you all still checking in.Keep the faith. Lynette
  • very inspirational and positive, given me the hope ive been looking for as all i can find is negatives to having a fusion.

I too am a fellow nurse, awaiting alif l5/s1 in the uk, and am very worried about being able to cope going back to ward nursing.fingers crossed i am as lucky as you both who have returned to good old nursing!

L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • Thank you for sharing with us who are just going in for surgery and wondering will I be able to go back to work in 3 months.

I had knee surgery and waiting to go in for L4-5, L5-s1 thru adbodomen 360. And back decompression. I have no idea what to expect but I was sick of pain all day all night so many medications and just depressed at its not getting better I am deteroriating well we decided to go for it. Not one day had passed I call the office and life go on so fast a new name for the accountant. Wow. It's trusting God for what he has before me! Trusting the awesome doctor I have. But i am scared of more pain.

thank you I want my life back to even if it takes a long before things are better.

• I did my second zumba this week!! Boy is it good excercise to get those hips moving after 8 months of being pretty stiff!! Now if I could just keep my arms from going numb at night from the crappy disc in my neck I would be 100%! Someday you will probably see me again for the neck but hopefully I can get a few more years out of that one. Lynette

• Keep enjoying life Lynette :-)
  • Hey lynette so glad your doing better that is great news!!!!!!
  • Soo good to hear from everyone, glad I can help the newbies and great to hear from the oldies!! CeeCee, how the heck are you, haven't seen you around much!! How are things with you?? I just remember how much pain you were having in your early post op...I hope things are better for you! Lynette
  • It's so good to hear that you are doing so well. I've been thinking about trying Zumba too. I've always loved to dance and there's a fitness place near me that offers classes. I had a 3-level, so not so sure how well the hips would shake, but I think I'm well enough to give it a whirl!

Congrats on your wonderful recovery!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Ceecee!!!
    How are you doing?
    It is so long since we heard from you.
    Have things settled down now? I do hope you are doing better than you were.

I would love to try zumba too, but wonder if I should wait until I have confirmed fusing.
    It must feel great to be able to do things like that again Lynette. :-)