Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Final Straw

NumbskullNNumbskull Posts: 1,526
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Matters of the Heart
What was the final straw that made you decide to go on LTD? I was told today by one of our LTD reps that I definitely qualify once my medical release goes through. I've been working on and off for the past two years. I'm heading back on Monday to give it another go. But this week, I attended a seminar that gives us all the information on our benefits for being medically released, and it just brought me back to where I was when I was working. By the time I got home, all I could do was take my meds and lay down. Hurts so much after, I can barely stand to make dinner much less do anything else. All my allotted meds taken for the day, and I'm still at least at my level 6-7.

When did you finally draw the line and say no more, this is no life, I'm not living to work and not be able to do much else, or allow yourself to be able to enjoy a little quality of life by not working?
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

• I agree. My sweetheart has said to me, why do you take 4 days off a week, just so you can stand 2 at work.

And still - at 49 - I feel I can contribute and not injure myself, except to tire myself out each week.

• It literally was the final straw... that broke "this" camel's back... lol!

Sorry... I couldn't resist, Kelly.

But, it is the honest truth! :)

I think you will know, when the time is right. When the pain is getting to be just too much to take, that will tell you which way you need to go.

• Well, I think you really need to work out all the pro's and con's and see what you can come up with. I would also book an apt to see your family doc and talk to him/her about it too. You should not feel bad if you decide to go on LTD for another year. You might just not be ready! and beside the fact thats more time in Toronto for me ;)

• Took me 2 1/2 years to accept being disabled. I finally told myself that I make a lousy employee. I had to take too much time off and was not able to fully do my job. Realizing that, it was easier for me to go on LTD and eventually on SSDI.

Best wishes,

• LOL Tammy, that was exactly why I used the word "straw", it was just what I was thinking and wondered if anyone else was on my train of thought. Congrats, you and I are on the same wave length!! (not so sure that's such a good thing for you LOL)

Lisa, trust me, that's all I've been thinking of. While still in the military, I'm still on full pay, it's after I release that I would go on LTD. They actually give us a max 2 years of LTD to figure out what we can or can't do, to go to school, to find a new career, or just to recover. If you can't work after that 2 years, then if you qualify, you can go on LTD until either you can go back to work, or turn 65. She told me I would qualify for the permanent LTD, even after the two years, and even asked why I was even bothering trying to go back to work. I thought that was kind of strange, coming from an LTD rep, don't they usually say the opposite? lol My goal is to keep working at least part time anyways. I've been checking the job boards in Whitehorse, just to keep an eye on the "market". I saw one for a manager at a new furniture/antique store that I know I would absolutely love, too bad it won't be available for when we move back. So many options and a lot to think about.

Marianne, I know exactly how you felt. It took me a couple of years before giving in to the medical release process, accepting the fact that I was just injuring myself more and I wasn't any longer "able to fully do my job". Even though by trade I'm a clerk, as they say in the army, we are "soldiers first, tradesperson second", and I definitely am not able to do the soldiering part anymore, and was barely able to do a full day in the office before I went back on sick leave. And by the time I got home, I'd be in so much pain I could barely make it up the 2 steps to get in the house. Our post on the front porch is now loose from me using it as support to get up the steps. It really isn't a life, if you're struggling to go to work, then not able to do anything after work. During the past 5 months of being at home, my hubby and I have been able to get out and do things, that I couldn't do before. I guess we just have to decide to do what makes us happiest, and what causes the least amount of pain. It's getting over that mental hurdle that's the hard part, and I guess what I'm going through now.

But, we'll see how my new job fares out. It is a no-stress environment, work-wise anyways, there's always potential for personalities and office politics to cause stress. I don't foresee much of that though, so maybe this time 'round will be better, especially since I only have to worry about me, and don't have subordinates to have to worry about as well. The working environment makes a great difference too. And now that I'm just writing down whatever thoughts pop into my head, I'll stop, lol.

Hope you're all having a good day!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own