Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Didn't have this pain b4 fusion, why now?

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery

I wonder if anyone else has had this since their lumbar spine surgery. I have noticed that when I sit down, no matter what angle or height or for how long, when I go to stand up the base of my spine kills me. I don't know if it's coming from the cocyx or what.

I never had this before surgery, so why has it been happening for the last 2 months or so? Do you think it could be from:

The pressure of sitting when the load on the spine is at its worst
Or that my spine shape changed when they did the fusion
Or am I sitting for too long.
Who knows? It's so blimming painful.

I'm having an MRI in January because I still get back/leg pain, but I don't think they'll be looking lower than the operation site.

I'd be interested to find out if anyone else has felt the same, and if you found out why and if you resolved it?
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• i am so fed up for you .first work problems and now problems with your fusion!! OMG .i thought everthing was going well .i carnt offer any advice sue as i havent had my op yet {do you think i should?}i just hope that youi get better soon
  • I've had that happen too. One time in particular I remember I was getting out of a low beach chair, pushing off with my arms and me and my fusion screamed. I'm not sure: maybe I was sitting funny, who knows.

Maybe you can keep a journal and see if there you can find a connection.

Also, if you are really concerned call your surgeon.

Take care,

• My guess would be that your sitting to long. I had the problem for up to 6 months following my surgery. Not sure when it was alleviated. Every so often, I get a taste of the old days. Give it time.

• I agree that maybe you are sitting too long and it's still early on from your fusion. You aren't even 6 months post op so it's still healing plus remember L/4-S/1 is an area that can get stiff or painful from sitting. Sometimes a special lumbar cushion helps.

I had different levels fused but I had that happen too. I still do if I sit in a chair that doesn't agree with me, sit too long, or having a day w/pain.

I hope it gets better. Everyone is different so be sure to mention it to your dr to get his opinion when you see him.

• My wife (stormy742 here on the forums) just had her fusion surgery and is experiencing what sounds to be a similar pain. I called the surgeon's office and his PA explained to me that with her they had to put a temporary stitch inside her to anchor certain layers of skin (he got really detailed and most of it went over my head) to avoid the formation of an open pocket between the skin and the spine and the development of a hematoma(sp?). Basically what is happening is that there is a spot underneath the skin that is being anchored that normally would move and shift as you move and sit. She describes it as a 'scrunching' or 'stretching' pain depending on whether she's sitting or laying down. when it's being stretched (laying down) we can usually just adjust her position to relieve it. Unfortunately, when sitting it happens to her no matter what she does unless she sits straight up with nothing against her back (like sitting on the edge of a chair and not sitting back against the backrest), and obviously she can'do that for long. From what her PA said, this will fade as the interior stitch disintergrates and the freedom of movement will be restored.

I would say get in touch with your surgeon's office and ask them. It could be the same thing. Either way, I hope it stops soon!