Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Next

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Pain Medications
Anyone care to guess what the doctor will prescribe next?

I've taken

Neurontin - coming off down to 600 mg now
Nortryptiline - eliminated for side effects
Savella - eliminated for severe side effects
Lidoderm Patch - still using and love them

Today I have to call the neurologist to find out what is next. The good thing about stopping everything is now I remember why I am taking this stuff.
advertisement

Comments

• um Cymbalta? Are you still having pain? Have you tried Flexeril for a muscle relaxant? I have to say this drug wipes me right out. Best wishes Kris and hope you get something that helps. One thing about taking meds you have to sift through until you've found one that works for you. I wish we had Lidoderm patches where I live. TC. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Kris,

Sorry, are these meds for general pain, nerve pain, muscle pain or what?

What is your pain levels though out the day? 6 am, 12 pm, 6 pm, 12 am?

Are you taking anything else?

I saw my PM yesterday. I am not really happy with my new meds. We decided to up the Oxycontin (long acting) I was on the lowest dose after taking a lot of vicaden and I don't think it has been doing anything for me. We kept the Oxycodone for BT the same, and went to generic Zanaflex (read somewhere that is was longer lasting than the name brand).

Your doctor seems pretty conservative with the meds. Maybe he/she will try you on Zanaflex (short acting antispasmatic) it makes me tired but it wears off quickly. My problem is it doesn't last long enough.

Have you tried Topomax yet? It works pretty good for headaches (and nerve pain I am told). I think I need to up my dose. My head is been hurting a lot again. I have lost 43# now. Can't loose much more. The other side effects are short term memory loss and buzzing in the feet/hands (goes away after a couple weeks).

Good luck today,
    Julie

• Well it's noon and I'm still waiting for a call back. I sure hope he is in today and doesn't forget. Usually excellent about call backs.

I am hoping for the Topomax since I could use the weight loss help. The neurontin was working pretty well so I think it is mostly neuro pain.

I was hoping that this sore throat would be gone by now. Hard to tell how a new med is working when you are sick. Guess I'll try to nap a bit.
  • He wants me to try cymbalta. Apparently he is determined to find something in the anti-depressant arena that will work without the side affects.
  • Kris,

Because of you and a few others in here, next week I am going to ask my doctor for the Lidoderm patches! I love that they aren't a narcotic, and if they work, they do wonders. I could use 'wonders' about now!! Just wanted to say thanks for your great comments on it!! :)

Cymbalta - They tried putting me on that like a year ago, and BCBS turned it down! Hummm... Please let us know how it goes.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    For about 2 years. But the side effects creeped back up over time. It was hard to get off of. But it did work! So now, when I get back from this trip I have a prescription for Lyrica. That's the only thing left that I haven't tried over all of the years. My brother had good results w/ it. So I'll give it a try. I'd love to cut the pain meds! I hope it works for you! We're all different.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Good luck! You know, I am the cymbalta poster child- I was on it before it was fashionable ;)
advertisement