Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depression medications - questions

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Pain Medications
I've been having depression for a while now and was told last night that it's now affecting my marriage. So I'm thinking I need to consider medications for depression/anxiety, either prescription or herbal.

Can you guys help me with options?

I know a woman who took Lexapro and it worked well for her.
I'm considering St. John's Wort

I take Norco, flexiril and valium. Only an occasional xanax. I like to have a cocktail now and then, so the med needs to fit in with what I'm already taking.

Of course, I'm hoping for something with the least side effects.

Thanks for your help.
Cathie
advertisement

Comments

• Cathie, I take Cymbalta for both anxiety/depression and for relief of nerve pain (in conjunction with gabapentin, Flexeril, Percocet). I also like an occasion glass of wine and have had no problems.

Over the years I have been prescribed Paxil (helped the first time, but not a few years later when I got it again), Wellbutrin (didn't like the side effects), Lexapro (was OK but not a great help). I think the Cymbalta is the best I've used, and I have no side effects from it. I started at 30 mg, raised to 60 mg, will be moving on to 90 mg on my next refill.

Over the counter mood enhancers like St. John's Wort really only help with mild symptoms and can take a few months to work.

Do you have more of a situational depression (i.e., more from identifiable problems with money, relationships, job) as opposed to a general feeling of depression? Having the issues we have is certainly stressful mentally. I really recommend a short-term, focused counseling relationship along with any meds you take. It can help deal with situational depression as well as giving coping skills for what is going on in your life that is affecting your marriage.

I hope that your relationship with your husband is strong and will survive yet another stressor. Tell him how you're feeling, tell him you want to work on things to make a difference, and most of all, enlist his help. Sometimes when we're depressed, we tend to shut off or feel guilty about letting people in for fear they will judge us. It may be time to let him come closer if you recognize that in your own life.

I wish you all the best, you will be in my thoughts.
  • I also take Cymbalta- I have since long before the accident. It works really well for me.
  • Ok call me dopey but 1 1/2 hrs after taking the first Cymbalta pill I am feeling that burst of energy. I had this when I was taking the Savella and loved this great effect.

Don't know if this is the wishful thinking effect or it is really working this fast but Cathie this might be a good idea. Also the Cymbalta might be able to replace some of the other meds. So as the commercial says "ask your doctor" :) :( or is that the purple pill?? lol
  • cymbalta is a mood enhancing drug but also is commonly used as a drug that is effective in the treatment of neuropathic pain associated with diabetes. it would certainly seem to be something to check into. however, your doctor might just prescribe you something that s/he typically prescribes to his/her patients, which is fine too. whatever you take, i wish you the best
  • Bubbles, HB, Kris and babyruth, thank you for your input. After hearing what you've had to say and reading about cymbalta, I think this might be something for me to try.

Bubbles, I can't say that my depression is totally situational, but probably is to some extent. My state health insurance just kicked in so I think I might find a counselor to talk to also.

Hubby and I had a long talk last night and he's promises that he's still in this for the long haul, he just wants me back, the way I was. I don't know if that will ever happen, but I truly believe that with a little help, I can get close. He said that he made that statement in haste and regrets it. He said that he believes our marriage is very strong and will withstand anything that comes our way. He was very apologetic and was sorry to put added stress on me. You can't blame the guy - we've both been through so much life-changing stuff in the last couple of years that it really wears you down.

So things are ok and I'm no longer afraid that I'm going to lose my husband. Whew. I hate it when stuff like this happens.

Thanks for all your help, friends.
    Cathie
  • Glad to hear your hubby is in it for the long haul. I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. If only our spine problems would just stop affecting so many other aspects of our lives....

I have taken zoloft for 8 years now. It took about 2 weeks to kick in. It doesn't interfere with my other meds. Sounds like cymbalta is working well for others.

Please feel free to PM me anytime if you need to chat. Take care,

Lisa
  • I'm so glad to hear it, Cathie! I'm sure he's been through quite a bit of stress as well, not least of which is not being able to help you feel better. We all say things when we're feeling pushed to the limit.

It never hurts to realize that, as much as we like to say that our families don't know what we're going through, we haven't been dealing with life from their viewpoint either. Sometimes the focus needs to come off of ourselves, and we need to give the support, encouragement, and love we need to help us keep going.

I wish you the best, I think you two are strong enough to keep things working. :)
  • I take Cymbalta mainly for the great effects it has on my sciatica and I also take Wellbutrin. The medication that concerns me is St. John's wort as it isn't FDA regulated and have heard that the amount they say is in each pill may not be. I would always talk to your Dr. concerning any herbal treatment that isn't covered by the protection of the FDA. I hope Cymbalta works for you if your Dr. puts you on that. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hubby is frustrated too with this awfull spiney journey. no ones to blame , its just the way it goes.

we can all understand , im sure that our family want us back, how we were before, and most definatly we wont ourselves back.

some get nearly there, others not, im glad you had a good talk with him and would let him no its ok to air frustrations directed towards the spinal issues which cause the limitations/changes/etc.
    by this, i mean , its not directed at you, but ways of managing issues

yes, would be a good thing for both of you to get some counscelling, as we all no , this spiney thing impacts everything
    doesnt sound at all like hubbys going anywhere, hes just a bit frustrated with it , like we all get

hugs cathie
    flower
  • It sounds like Cymbalta is the popular med of choice! I just started it as well about 3 weeks ago for my anxiety, with hopes that it would help in conjunction with the neurontin for pain. Out of all the different anti-depressants I've taken, I like it the best so far, I've had no extra side effects.

I so hope that you and your husband are able to get through this rough time. It's so true that our pain not only affects us, but our loved ones as well. It sounds as if you have a strong based relationship, that he says he's in it for the long haul. Maybe counselling would be beneficial, I wish you all the best wishes, as you deserve!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
advertisement