Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain worse after surgery

dakoopddakoop Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am only a few days out an know I have a long way to go but the pain seems worse in my lower back. I am up and walking a little but get sharp pains. Is that a normal thing after fusion?

• If you're only a few days out, then yes, it's normal to have pain. Please understand that you're freshly out of major spine surgery and things tend to get a little worse before they get better.

You're going to need to be patient and be sure to take your medications as scheduled to stay ahead of the pain.

Take care,
  • Dakoop,

Like Cathie said, you are fresh out of surgery. Your body and spine went through a lot of trauma don't forget. Try and rest, walk when you can, keep up with medication orders and let your body heal. Hoping you are feeling better soon. Gentle support *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I agree - it's way too soon to panic! Hang in there.
  • Update. Two weeks on and pain is manageable.
    Sneezing sucks
    Not sleeping more than a few hours at a time but no clue why

Any input on how to fix a painful SI joint at this time? Seems like most of the pain comes from there and in the fragile healing state don't know of many options
  • I agree with the sneezing! That was probably the most painful thing to deal with after my surgery as well. We don't realize how engaged our core and back are when we sneeze. I would stand in the doorway and brace myself with my hands each time before I would sneeze. I would also try to suppress it sometimes because I knew how badly it was going to hurt. Now at around 6 weeks, the sneezing isn't nearly as bad as it was a few weeks ago. It will get better.