Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1st week back to work

tonyanwisconsinttonyanwisconsin Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I survived my first week back to work since the middle of Feb.

I am sore and had to take meds twice during my day but I made it through. I am not really any sorer than I was sitting around at home...

I am still having signif. pain at the surgical site but I am hoping that gets better. Most of my nerve pain I had prior to fusion is gone. My flexibility is slowly coming back. Since this is a desk job I am getting up and moving as much as I can. I have been using my TENS unit once I get home because I am having muscle spasms in my mid-back due to leaning forward looking at a computer.

Once I am out of training and at my own desk full time I will bring my TENS and wear it when needed..and will buy a heating pad for my desk..lol

Financially I am so relieved to be back to work. It will take me a couple of months to catch up on all of my bills but I know I can do it.

THanks for everyones support. You spineys rock!!! you will never fully know how much your kind words have meant to me over the past year.

• Tonya,

So good for you! Please try not to overdue. Proud of ya!! Take care Tonya...wishing you continued success!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I am so happy for you! I know it is exhausting to return to work, but it sounds like it is going well. If you find that sitting at a desk creates pain or is difficult, I found the Back Joy to be awesome. For me, it was money well spent!

Hopefully you are able to rest this weekend and celebrate being back at work with a paycheck! WooHoo!

Take care and keep in touch!
  • I'm so glad you're back to work. You might want to try a BackJoy if you're sitting all the time. I'm not affiliated with their company, I just have one (actually two - one in the office and one in my car) and they make it possible for me to sit. My cousin is a nurse and suggested I try it. I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond, but you can get them on line too.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thanks for your kind words. I might just have to buy one of those Back Joys. My job is sitting 100% of the time. I can get up and move when I need too. I was pleasantly suprised that my pain was manageable last week.

Getting back to work is a huge hurdle. I am starting to feel like I am returning to "life" so to speak.

• Tonya,

Same here as Linda. I have 1 in the house, and 1 for the car. It gently forces your hips into position such that your spine is more properly aligned, and unloaded as possible given that you're still sitting! So good to hear it wasn't a bad pain week. Sounds like a thumbs up to me!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• =D> =D> =D>

It is so good to hear that you have successfully completed your first week back at work.

Doesn't it feel good to be getting back to normality?

Keep up the good work, but take it easy. Be kind to yourself.

My PLIF was on 19th March. We have done this journey together. >:D<
    I am so proud of you!
  • Another hurdle overcome!!! It will get easier. What kind of job are you doing now?? I think you said in my post it was a new job. I hope you can get up and move frequently. Doing any one position for any length of time is not easy in the begining. Keep in touch. Lynette
  • That's great news. It is such a sense of freedom to be able to return to work. I like having the opportunity to get out of the house and back around the interaction of other folks! Very cool. Hope the training goes by quickly and you can settle in at your own desk in comfort.

• back to work and a full week , thats wonderfull news

thats gotta feel good , return to more normalacy

lovely avitar, cute doggie you got there