Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lmhs1935llmhs1935 Posts: 75
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello. I am having anterior spinal fusion in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if I will have much swelling? I need to know what kind of clothes to wear home from the hospital.

• Lauren,

You didn't say what levels but yes you will have some swelling. The fusion is dependant on swelling. Swelling caused the fusion (at least that is how my NS explained it to me). The more swelling the better the fusion.

I would plan on easy/comfy clothes. I wore long pj/lounge pants & a sweat shirt home each time. I treated myself to new a set :O)

A large plastic garbage bag covering the seat of the car your riding in will allow you to slide in easy. If your a lumbar patient you really don't want to snag your bottom on the seat (unless you have leather seats). Sliding is a good thing.

If you're a neck patient you might want a button up top. "If" you have to wear a brace or you have a sore neck & shoulders the less you have to move your arms up the better.

Slip on shoes are great. This is when I got my first pair of crocs. Easy on easy off. They now have a much larger selection, but there are lots of brands of slip on shoes or slippers.

You can check out the surgery needs at the top of this page. I think it has just about everything you can think of. Or you can ask me, I am happy to help. I know how scary it is >:D<

Make sure you sign up for the surgery thread. It is a great way to meet others who are also going through the same thing and make surgery buddies.

Good luck.
  • Hi Lauren

I had an ALIF last year and my tummy was swollen, which is normal. It took a few months for the swelling to go down. My friend picked me up, so I went home in my nightie and dressing gown. I was very nauseated on the drive home, so it might help to have some medication to help with that, should you need it. I had a large plastic garbage bag for the seat but didn't need it, as I was able to get into and out of the car ok, but it's a good idea.

After a few weeks, I started putting Bio-oil on the scar for a few months, and it's now so fine and can hardly be seen. It looked a bit gross at first.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Of course, everyone is different, and I had a 360 (both anterior and posterior) fusion, but I had significant swelling. I looked 7-8 months pregnant. I had bought some PJ's and lounge pants to wear, a size bigger than normal, to my horrior, they were too small.

My hubby had to go out and buy more. So maybe, don't cut the tags off just in case! :)

I still have some swelling now, especially after days I have been on my feet alot.

But, everyone is different, plan for the worst and pray for the best!

Wishing you the very best in your recovery!