Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

flowerfflower Posts: 460
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
and severe itching.
this is a fairly good med for me EXCEPT for the severe itching!
has anyone had this effect and kept taking it and the itching resolved/lessend????
im worried as really this is an allergic reaction
however, have spoken with my dr and he just said , well u dont really want to put up with the itching, but was still ok for me to have it .
i spoke with another dr about it and she said , be better not to take it
thoughts/experiences please

• It seems to be a common side effect of oxycodone. When I first started taking it I was very itchy...esp on my nose for some reason. I can tell you that after I was on it for several months that went away.
    Now as far as allergic reaction. I would say if you have a rash or any changes in your breathing such as a tightness in your chest or feeling like your throat is closing you should definately not take it.

That is my experience with it. I take oxycodone 4 times a day and the itching is gone. Follow your doctors advise when in doubt.

• I use oxy as my breakthrough med and my nose itches something fierce but the med works well for my pain so I will just scratch my nose.
    Happy itching
  • I've been taking oxyodone since June, my dosagage has tripled since the surgery, I now take 30 mg every 4 hours. I do try and get 5-6 hours out of a dose if I can!

When I first began with 10mg, I had no itch reaction, as I was switching from vicodin HP 10mg, and really saw no difference in pain or any side effects.

When I went to 15mg, I had the face itching, mostly in the top of my nose, and for me, it was the kind of itch you really can't scratch, you really need to RUB! Lasted maybe a week or so. When I went to current dosage no issues.

Flower, its the only med that cuts the edge off my pain, plus I like the fact that unlike Percs, there is nothing else in it, just the oxy, pills are so small, don't even need water! If you are out and need one, vicodin was like a horse pill!

Good luck!
  • Maybe you should call your pharmacist just to be safe. Your doctor is not as practiced with meds as your pharmacist.

• Itching is a common side effect of any opiate, but each one will affect you differently.

I used regular old antihistamines when I was having a problem with Fentanyl (luckily this time around, I am not having the same problem!).
  • Talk to your doctor before taking benadryl! I was told by my PM doctor that benadryl can be very dangerous to take along with pain meds, I guess it can increase the level of meds in your blood? I don't know too much about this,but I would with out a doubt talk to your doctor and or pharmacist before taking anything to reduce the itch.
  • Benadryl can increase the side effects of opiates in the system and in some cases slow the respiration in a sleeping person.If the person is not used to their medication or the benadryl this can be harmful.neednewback is correct,it is important to talk to your Dr. before taking any new medications,even OTC medications.
  • the itching i have is all over my body (like a dog with a bad case of fleas)

did anyone have this all over body itching??

so i was worried it mite be a pre-cursor to more serious allergic reaction of going into rash/breathing difficulties

wow thats interesting that most of you just got it on your nose

i cant take antihistamines as there contraindicated with another med i take
    ill talk with my pharmicist, but as i would like to stay with this med, wanted to get your experiences if this itching lessens/ resolved

other opiates make me so nauseus/vomiting, so it really limits what i can take

thanks guys

• It's worth a call to pharmacist! If you are having all over itching, flea bitten like, it doesn't sound like the average itchy side effect, I would be concerned. Make the call. :-C

Let us know! We don't want our pretty Flower all scratched up :)
  • I had a lot of itching from vicodin and percocet. Now that I am down to 1 1/2 pills a day, I do not experience it like I did when I was on higher dosages. It is annoying that is for sure, I noticed it a lot more at night while trying to fall asleep. Now that I am cutting way back I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms, it's always something : )
  • yes , the itching is intense , ill make the call to pharmacy

i hope its something that will resolve , but AM concerned
    take care hugs
  • I did not take benadryl, since benadryl is a CNS depressant and increases the CNS depressant affects of opiates. I took Zyrtec or Claritin. They worked pretty well for me!

You should always check for interaction before taking any OTC medication.
  • yes, the antihistamines are a no go for me , there contraindicated with my BP med, which i found out some years ago

some years ago , i got an OTC med for i think for flu , and after reading the manufacturese fact sheet, i saw the contraindication , so i couldnt take that med

yes i allways read the info
    but i havnt really found anything on severe itching and oxycodone
    i dont have a rash
    ill look into those 2 meds that you took

• its allways something, lisdaylane
    did you get the itching all over???

i have a tendacy to be an allergic kinda flower :<

• I did get the itching all over. Like I said it got a lot better when I reduced the amount I took, but it would be my arms, then my legs, then my stomach. It seemed to be worse for the first hour or so after taking the pills. I used to put healing itch control lotion on my skin, I think it was Curel. It seemed to help some. Hope you get some relief. I just told myself, it is this or pain. Sucks to have to deal with all this though.
    Now I am dealing with chills, sweats, stomach problems, emotional ups and downs that comes with withdrawals from the meds. I don't know how people do it cold turkey, I am doing it slowly and still have symptoms. Take care, one day at a time.
  • to no lisa that you too had the itching all over and you didnt get into the serious breathing/rash reactions.

im only on a low dose, so if i have to titrate up.....

ill call pharmacy see if they have any ideas with this too

yes, you need to reduce slow, to help reduce withdrawal side effects, sorry your still getting some
    flower (dont wanna lose my petals)
  • I get the itching all over with morphine, annoying, but worth feeling itchy over being in pain!
  • would perservere with the itching, as it help with the pain, but was worried it might be a pre-curser to more serious side effects.

thanks for your reply, it helps to no others have it too
  • I hope you are able to get answers, and find relief! I was put on Neproxin many moons ago, and by the third dose I was itching from head to toe, and within hours though...body wide rash and hives in other spots! I had already stopped taking the medication as soon as the itching began. My pharmacist at the time suggested Claritin D. I was having an allergic reaction *and* it was having an interaction issue with my Beta blocker (Toprol). No more NSAIDS for me!

Oh, and I looked horrible for like 3 or 4 days! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I got it too, all over when at higher doses, and just my face at lower.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • and talked to the pharmicist, he said its an allergic reaction , but didnt think it would lead to severe life threatening reaction.

he suggests talking with my dr,as the itching is intense and an allergy, to change meds .
    well , not much choice as most give me severe nausea/vomiting ~X(
    thanks guys

• Hang in there, your right med is out there, go get it! No inches & NO pain for Flower.

Hope ur feeling better!

• thats a shame your allergic to NSAIDS, and yes , youve gotta watch those med interactions

thanks virginia, no , flower doesnt want to be THAT itchy lol
    thanks everyone

• Sorry to hear that you have to go through another med change, but glad you called. Good luck!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • The contraindication with your BP med shouldn't have been the antihistamine, especially the newer ones. It was probably either pseudoephedrine or one of the other decongestants, which are contraindicated.

See what your doc says about the itching/allergic reaction issue.

It does suck not being able to take NSAIDS (I can't take them either). I hope they find something else to try if they decide you can't take this one anymore :(
  • annoying when your allergic to a whole class of meds, and then the ones where the side effects are intolerable, or you have a contraindication.

the antihistamine, was more a precaution, than a contraindication, with the beta blockers.
    i cant tolerate ace inhibitors, and am allergic to some meds and metals :<

thanks HB, yes with my dr again , but i am limited ,sigh

• I am on beta blockers as well and take zyrtec. There is no precaution for zyrtec (I take generic Toprol).

I also couldn't take any of the others- they all made me sick as a dog. Luckily this one not only doesn't make me sick, it reduces my BP as well!

• Norco makes me itch sometimes too. Around my nose and my inner thighs. Sometimes it doesn't? Weird.
    C3-4-5 fusion 2005
    C-5-T-1 disk bulged
    L-4-5 bulge to the right, with Microdiscectomy, failed
    L5- Bi-Lateral bulge
    Pain in right foot -loss of feeling
    Left butt, hip and front thigh pain with bad shooting pain into inside ankle sometimes
  • makes me itch around my face as well. I've been on it for one year, and take a low to moderate dose. The drug works the best for my pain, so I try to endure the side effect.

How long have you been on the oxy, Flower?

You definitely need to talk with your physician when adding any other drugs to your regimen. I also like to get information from websites that give you drug interaction information, so I can stay away from drugs that may interfer or have a synergestic effect on my medications.

Unfortunately, narcotics in general have itching as a side effect. If it is a new drug for you, then definitely let your dr know what is going on. If you have been on it a while and have had itching all along, it may or may not go away, and then you have to decide if you can deal with the side effect, or want to try something different.

Good luck,