Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Follow up to Denied Pain Meds

SteveSSteve Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Chronic Pain
Hey guys, I'd like to thank you all for your thoughtful and helpful replys to my post.

I finally found a dr. that I really like and is willing to help me. Today he wrote me for Opana 20mg bid and Lryrica 50mg tib. I will call him on Wendnesday to tell him if I need to bump It up. The only bummer is that the my insurance co doesn't pay for Opana. My dr. gave me a discount card for $300 off, though I'm not sure exactly how it works, I bought 20 pills ($170) and got $60 off. The pharmasist, who is now my new best advocate even gave me the card back for next time.

It's so awesome to be back on track. We also talked about deep brain stimulation. A little scary. Thanks again to those who took the time to reach out in my time of great pain and distress. Now I just have to watch out for the weight gain. Does counting calories help? Or does the Lyrica just make you add lbs?

Warmest regards,
advertisement

Comments

• I'm glad that you found a Dr to help you. Did he say what he thought the deep brain stimulation would do? I've heard of it for Parkinson's, however I don't know much about it.
  • he didn't go in to it too much, but I'm really interested to know. I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

Thanks for your kind reply!
  • using it (experimentally) for depression and some types of seizures and i think some tourettes syndromes.
    flower
  • Oh Steve I am SOOOOOOO Happy you got a new Dr. and hopefully a pain plan that works for you going again :D

I have told my hubby about you and he pretty much has heard it or been through it all with me and even he was like "holy it" lol ;)

Weight gain issue. My Dr. told me this. With any med that has a tendency too cause weight gain, you can battle it with low calories, exercise and drinking more water - then...... cross your fingers and hope it works. I have had luck with using his method for weight gain.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • some sort of pain med that you could take for which your insurance would pay? I did gain some weight with Lyrica, but you might be able to avoid it by adjusting your diet some. Unfortunately, when we're in pain, we not only like to find pain meds to relieve it, but we tend to eat comfort food too.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Glad to hear you found a good doctor to treat you! I've heard about the brain stimulation at a ptsd seminar I've been to. I'll ask the psych about it at my next support group, he or the mental health nurse might have some info. I'll let you know! Good luck with the rest of your treatment plan! For the lyrica, even with eating healthy and a good diet plan, I gained weight very quickly, but a lot was retention. But, everyone is different, so hopefully you won't have the same effect as some of us did.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Steve,

Congrats on the new doctor. Hopefully it will be a good and long relationship. Please let us know how it goes.

As to the Lyrica weight gain monster. I gained over 45lbs on it, but it is slowly starting to come back down. I hate it, but hate the pain more! I hope it helps you! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I appreiciate your post. I'll let you guys know npmore about the brain stim as I hear. I am no longer alone in all of this which really helps. I love the forum!

Thank you kindly,
    Steve
  • I appreiciate your post. I'll let you guys know npmore about the brain stim as I hear. I am no longer alone in all of this which really helps. I love the forum!

Thank you kindly,
    Steve

Thank you kindly,
    Steve
  • I'm going to ask him for half neurontin and half lyrica. I've read that this lowers the side affects.

We'd love to about the brain stim if you hear anything!

Warn regards,
  • I'm going to try appealing to the insurance company first. MS contain is the next best thing, but I don't like the toxic feeling that I get from it. Opana seems much cleaner
  • I've been on lyrica for the past month. No weight gain here. I had a multi-level fusion almost three years ago. Lyrica really seems to calm nerve pain for me. The nerves just seem to stop sizzling!
    Good luck!
  • I need to gain weight, or at least stop losing, perhaps I should ask my dr to switch me from neurontin to Lyrica. Does anyone know if Lyrica is more expensive than neurontin?
    I get my Opana through the patient assistance program as I am not able to pay $1,000 a month for medication. Perhaps it is a option for you?
  • I can give you the info on the Endo patient assistance program (Opana) if it will help you. I believe it works on a sliding scale.
  • I can give you the info on the Endo patient assistance program (Opana) if it will help you. I believe it works on a sliding scale.
  • Sure any refferals for programs that would save more would be very apprieciated. Strange though, I'm on the Opana for 20 hrs or so and I'm not getting relief. I think the MS-Contin 30mg was more affective.

Many thanks!
  • You have to give long-acting meds a few days to reach a stable level in your system- at least that's what my PM doctor told me when I started on this journey. Every medication is going to be different in terms of half life, etc, so don't give up yet!

• Cool name by the way (Is that your pic)? IF so, you are smokin' chick! LOL! No I'm not wierd, but if that is you - your are gorgeous! Looks kind of like my daughter.. ANyway, to answer your question, I take neurontin, only one at night but it isn't very much at all. I take a generic form gabapentin, and it is about 10 bucks a month. Hope that helps.
  • That's great news.. I would give the Lyrica a shot before jumping to any conclusions. Meds work on every person differently so wait and see if it makes you gain wieght or not. Glad you found some help finally! That has got to be a tremendous relief for you! Best wishes, I hope the new meds work well! Marion
  • Sadly Opana barely touched my pain :(

I hope you have better success with it then I did...
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.