Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone ever get a shooting pain out of nowhere once in awhile?

ButterflyPainBButterflyPain Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I can't quite describe it, but its like a shock type pain that goes along the left side of my neck into my shoulder. It doesn't happen very often and it happens out of the blue when it does. Only likes under 30 seconds or whatever.

Is this part of having cervical problems?

• Howdy Butterfly,

Ghost or oddball shots of pain (for me) are not uncommon. I have my common areas that always bother me, and 5% of the time I will get a sharp pain out of nowhere! I don't know if it's a reaction from maybe I hurt more today, and as such held my head differently and invoked this new response or what. I just know for me Butterfly, yes they do happen, and in my case I am 99% sure they are from my cervical issues. I know, not a full answer, but hopefully it helps. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • It's like a spasm on my left side too! It's so bad I pull my shoulder toward my head to stop it. Maybe it has something to do with my issues at C6 and C7 impinging. It usually happens if I lean over or turn my head too quick. I used to get it at work a lot but I haven't been working for a while now. I think the muscle relaxants and Cymbalta and pain meds may be helping. Are you taking muscle relaxants or something for nerve pain? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Before my microD surgery I was getting those all the time in the top half of my arm. I called them lightning bolts. They almost felt like someone stuck a long hat put in my arm. Usually as fast as they came they would be gone.

The decompression of the nerve root relieved it. Now that the bone is spurring again it is coming back. A neuro drug would control that.
  • I get them too.The worst one is the one that shoots from the bottom of my neck up my head and it's very paiful,but very fast and thankfully over with before I even have time to worry about it.If it lasted long I couldn't handle it,and it only happens whenever I'm in bed.I had Cll RF last month so hopefully that takes care of it..though that is not why I had the procedure,my PMD said it might be a bonus.
    Edited for typos~ :??