Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain after surgery on Oct 21st

johnb3207jjohnb3207 Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok I wake up every 2 hours with leg pain And I am getting perty tired of this no sleeping thing I had L4 L5 fusion
done on Oct 21st and thought it would have gone away by now
I have been weening myself off the pain pills but I take before I go to bed but the leg pain keeps me up it is not
pain that is agonizing however it is bad enough to wake me and keep me awake I thought this would have passed by now
is this normal My Dr said it would pass That was a week ago
any thoughts or suggestions ? would like to sleep more than
a couple of hours a night starting to get to me :?

• leg pain is still there john.

can you ring/see your dr, let him no its still there

if your not on a nerve med like lyrica, that is something which may help, also how about asking for some sleeping meds

hugs flower
  • Yey I am going to call him today and ask again and def the sleep meds I don't want to get cranky lol :W
  • I had a fusion-T3-L4 almost three years ago. Leg pain was really bothering me. Lyrica helped. Along with epidurals it stopped those nerves from sizzling. Gotta get some sleep. Good luck!
  • ya no , we dont want you cranky lol

take care flower
  • :W YEY Thats right flower no cranky John
    Mary might slap me lol
  • Remember you are still really fresh out of surgery. Nerves that have been compressed/entrapped can take a while to recover. For instance on my neck surgeries, I had pains and spasms for over 6 months! It all depends on how irritated those nerves were!

Plus remember the other biggies here. Your body sustained a lot of trauma induced by the surgery itself. Your spine was forever changed by the surgery, so other areas have to adjust to this change. Muscles, nerves, your skeletal structure! Of course let your surgeon know what is going on - especially with the sleep being impacted. Maybe he can give you different medication. Are you on any nerve pain medications? My last surgery my pain was so bad a 'good nights' sleep was 5 one hour naps! He put me on Lyrica and wow, what a difference.

Hope you're feeling better soon. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.