Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not good news

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I actually met my NS today at my appt with his PA. He is recomending surgery. He said we can do minimally invasive discectomy but he is not recomending it. He is recomending Thoracic Fusion. I am devestated. I can't stop crying. I am having a CT Meylogram Friday to make sure what levels. But with my t-spine having mutliple bulges he wants to see how bad they are. They are also going to collect my spinal cord fluid and test it for MS (follow up on the brain mri from last winter and make sure I don't also have MS). This morning when I got out of bed, for the first time I lost control of by bladder. It was like when my water broke when I had my daughter. It scared the h3ll out of me.

He says the recovery isn't so bad. 16-20 weeks. I think he was trying to make me feel good. He says the scar will be about 5 inches and the surgery will be 4 hours. I will be in the hospital a week to 10 days. I have no idea when I am going to do this. Probably not until after January.

• So he is proposing doing it posterior? Mine was done that way at T1-2.
  • No going in under the arm some where (lung collapse just like all the horror stories). He will know more once he has a look at the CT meylogram. Definately C7/8 but not sure about the other levels.

• Julia, I am so sorry to hear about this.

You know we will all stand beside you and help with support in any way we can :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Julie, I hope you have stopped crying because it's going to give u more pain honey, I'm so sorry for your news. If there is anything I can say to cheer you up I will...

• Thanks guys. I pulled it together. My daughter came home, I had to. I have 2 food shows this week. I need to get my brain together. The best part was the foot of snow that dropped and brought the city to a stand still. It's like everyone forgets that this is Alaska and drives like morons }:) As I am leaving the NS office and I am at a light a car comes barreling at me-sliding sideways. I literally had to floor it to get out of the way or I would have been hit on the drivers side hard! WEW!

I will get through this :) (some how) don't know how yet but we will figure it out right? ....

I really appreciate your support.

• another surgery !! im so sorry

if i can try to help lessen your worries , by saying your surgeon says a 5 inch cut, sounds not as bad as those really long ones.

of course its still major and i really feel for you, heres hoping the fewer the levels

wishing you the best for your myelogram friday

hugs julie
  • Sorry for the news you got today. The good thing is answers are starting to flow (even if bad), so knowing what is going on is good. I wish we had a 'fix all' pill or something so you could get relief. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I read your first post and felt terrible for you, a third fusion, now your T spine! My prayers are with you.

Then I read your second post and I am glad your daughter helped give you some hope & prospective and some light at the end of your long tunnel, she sounds like a wonderful daughter, you are blessed!

Please be careful driving, no more accidents or near misses, you poor thing.

Best of luck Friday with your Myelogram, let me know how it goes, after you have laid flat! For at least 24-48 hours. I am having Myelogram on the 22nd.

Your in my thoughts.

Alaska, wow! Brrrr, I am on the complete other end of the country, SW Florida. We had some weather today, a brisk high of 72 and lows on the 50's, gotta give you props, its.a beautiful place,.Alaska but WAY too COLD for me, stay warm & cozy!
  • julie and wich level he will perform??? do you know in which way he will fuse it? name of procedure???
  • Oh Julie....I am crying with you!!! :''( I am SOOOO sorry that you are having to go through this!! I will be with you in spirit for every step you take!! Maybe this will get you out of the BAD PAIN though!!

Oh Honey.....I will say a huge healing prayer for you!!!
  • I just opened a brand new box of Kleenex we can share together. :*

Julie, I am so sorry to hear this news. I really am. But, let's try to think positively right now. This surgery may very well bring you a whole lot of pain relief after your recovery. So, let's focus on that. Your doctor wants to help you with your pain and make that gloomy "Eeyore" cloud go away. After your successful surgery, I will say prayers that the Eeyore cloud will stay far far away from your spine... for a good long while.

We don't have all of the information yet about your surgery and we need to wait to get the results from the CT you are having done on Friday.

I can only imagine the fears and worry, that are going through your mind. Do your best to toss those aside for the time being. You are a very strong person and I know you are doing this already. >:D<

Please let us know what you find out next from your doctor about your surgery.

We are here to support and love you, before... during... and after your surgery. >:D<

When you need to vent, you know where to come. Right here among a great group of spineys. :)

Thinking of you,

P.S. My facebook thought of the day, is dedicated to you.
  • Thanks Ladies,

I really appreciate your support and thoughts :)

Trying to stay positive and not put the cart before the horse. I am freaking out about the future & finances. I don't know how I am going to make it. I don't know I am going to be able to pull STD or LTD since this is the car accident? This is why I am trying to hire an attorney.

• I wish I had some super-special words of healing, or a magic wand to take some of the pain and anxiety, but I don't. Just wanted to let you know that there are many spineys in your corner and hope to help you through this very rough time.

Take care,

• I am so sorry for the news you have been given, and totally understand how upset you must be feeling.

I hope that as you get used to the idea, you will settle into the thought of it. I am sure that your surgeon would only be suggesting the surgery if he was sure that it will bring you relief in the long run. I agree that a 5 inch incision sounds like he is going to do the least that he can.

Before my lumbar fusion, I was so scared and felt that there was no way that I could face it.

For me, reading all about the procedure and learning what to expect (the good and the bad), helped me to come to terms with what I was going to face. With lots of prayers from me and lots of my friends, I was given the most amazing peace and went into the surgery, no longer afraid. I am now so much better, and although I still have issues in my back, the problem with my lumbar pain and sciatica in both legs, is so much better. If I had to decide again, I would definately go with it.

I'll pray for you Julie, that you will get a sense of peace about this. You will know more about what the surgeon thinks is necessary after your other tests.

Take care and do vent to us here. We can take it! (and have probably experienced it!) >:D<
  • I have been reading many of your posts lately Julie, and just had to respond to let you know that like many of us, I have been there too. Reading your post made me cry some very familiar tears.
    I had some news this morning at my regular visit to my pain clinic regarding a possible medication change that was just devastating.
    I wanted to thank you for posting, and let you know I am thinking of you and will be following your progress very closely.
    Take good care,
  • So sorry to hear the news from your doctors. Keep the faith, get lots of magazines and movies. That will be a long recovery. A good friend of mine went thru thoracic surgery for a tumor on her spine. It was a hard recovery, but she was glad they could and did do the surgery.

• about your news of surgery...after you get the myleogram and talk with the doc more perhaps you will realize that this will give you the relief you need..
    i wish you the best friday and just drink & drink all the caffene you can and lay flat for sure...
    and you will be in my prayers
    keep us posted
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • OK Gang,

I am heading out for the hospital.

Spinal Tap, Meylogram & CT Scan here we go :)

They wouldn't let me eat anything- said I might throw up. I sometimes throw up for no reason so this should be fun.

I will report back when I can. I am suppose to bring the cd of the ct scan so maybe I can post some pretty pictures.

Wish me luck.

• I, too, will be thinking of you and praying that you don't hurl. (I generally don't use the word "hurl" but was watching some goofy show and they kept using that word).

As Jelly stated... we will be here and anxious to hear how everything went.

Hugs to you,

Tammy >:D<
  • Wishing you very good luck! >:D<

Thinking of you and hoping that you don't throw up! :&
    This is the next stage of finding out what is going on and what is needed to improve things.

We'll be here waiting to hear how you get on. :H
  • Oh Julie, like everyone else I will be waiting to hear from you and hoping that it goes well....no throwing up on the Drs!! ;). Please let us know what they say as soon as you can!! Lots of love here!!!!
  • I love the attitude of not putting the cart before the horse! Stay strong and when you feel you can't, borrow strength from all of us.

• Thanks to my internet friend, for being "here" for me.

Yesterday was exhausting. I slept all day and then 12 hours over night and I feel wiped out right now.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be- definately not pleasant. The Radiologist was very brisk/ almost rude he started to argue with me about the need for the test until I mentioned that my NS and (his name) had ordered it for my surgery and the pa had just written up the orders for him. He did let me take my pain meds and wait 20 minutes for them to kick in so that was nice.

The gown they gave me was huge and I had all male techs and nurses they all got flashed several times since thay have you do quite a few interesting moves to get the dye to spread.

I did get the spinal tap done and they took blood for additional tests. I am hoping they will find out why I am so tired and dizzy all the time and having a hard time focusing (not just my eyes).

My Dad's wife called my husband and was asking him questions so I have to call them this weekend. She's a very judgmental retired RN and I like to keep my health stuff to my self- something leaked out.

I hope you all are doing well today :)

• Glad you made it through alright and are at home resting now. It's a shame when others in families are judgmental. I just try and ignore them and press on with MY life.

Let us know when you get your results.

• Oh Julie...I am so glad that you made it through all that ok!!! YAY for flashing...LOL:)

I have been praying and will continue for your health and strength to make it through this!!!

and YES please let us know when you get your results!!

• Well done Julie; you did it!
    Now allow your body to rest until you get the results and know what the plan is next.
  • Welcome back Julie!

Sorry I missed your post, hope you get some much needed, calming rest.