Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic headaches, burning in my neck and left shoulder

widjet2010wwidjet2010 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
I was wondering if there are more positive results to using medication that works better than narcotics. I have been using Percocet, Flexeril and Diclofenac, but am looking for better pain relief. I want to request Neurontin, but does Lyrica work better? Percocet only minimally relieves the pain, and it just feels like I had a small glass of wine. I have the pain, but it bothers me a little less. I use ice packs, but that only helps sometimes.
I get chronic headaches, pain running down my arms, tendonitis, tremoring in my right hand, numbness and pain in my fingers, and feet, weakness in my hands, dropping things, etc.
advertisement

Comments

• Widjet,

I can't speak of Neurontin, as I've never been on it. I am on Lyrica, and for me, it knocks down between 80-85% for me. Narcotics really don't touch nerve pain, so if you are still hurting as you are, I don't personally feel it would be out of line to ask if "nerve pain" medication might be of better help for you. Sorry you're hurting, and hope you get relief soon.

Welcome to Spine Health!!! :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • If you check out the Pain Med section you can search through the various threads and get a lot of information.

Feel Bettr,

Julie
  • I take Cymbalta for my leg nerve pain but have had issues with neck pain and my Dr. wanted me to try Lyrica for sharp neck pains and left arm and elbow pain and it helped for the flare up I had. Lyrica caused me to swell up though and I had a large weight gain but quickly lost the weight when stopping it after the neck flare up. As for your numbness and tingling have you seen a Neurologist for that? I hope you get some relief soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I've taken both neurontin and lyrica. For myself, Lyrica did work better, but I gained weight very quickly on it, so switched back to neurontin. It does help, too, just for me, not quite as good. I also just started taking Cymbalta for my anxiety, but my doc and I are hoping that the combo of Cymbalta and Neurontin will work well. Of course, everyone reacts and has different results from medications, you just have to try for yourself to see how it works for you.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I just wanted to add that I take Topamax for chronic headaches and this med is approved for this. It really does help with the frequency and intensity. I get migraines as a result of my cervical issues, but it's fairly under control with topamax and then I use relpax/imitrex for the beginnings of my migraines. Hope this helps you. God bless.
  • Are there any meds for nerve pain that don't cause weight gain?
  • The only medication that's provided any real pain relief without weight gain for me is neurontin. I take 600 MG 1-2 times per day, 3-4 days per week, not every day though.
  • I've started to experience chronic headaches with burning between my shoulder blades, and pain down my right arm. I've been on pain medication since 2001 for a low back injury. Is it possible that the medication (Percocet & Lortab) are causing this new pain?? Has anyone else experienced this?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.