Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Results So Far

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Greetings everyone: :)

I have had two surgeries so far: cervical laminectomy 2 years ago, lumbar laminectomy this past May. My first surgery was to relieve pressure on nerve roots in my cervical spine and thus relieve paine in my arms and fingers.

So far I have had no relief in the pain in my arms and hands. Before my lumbar surgery this past May my new Neurosurgeon said there was still pressure in nerve roots in my cervical spine. At the time he suggested I have a two level discectomy/fusion to alleviate this pain. My lumbar surgery did relieve some pain in my right leg, but only some. It did cause considerably more pain in my lower back.

What are others experiences who've had these surgeries?

Thanks in advance,

Ken GreyEagle

• Hi Ken, I was just beginning to wonder what happened to some of the old gang. Welcome back.

I had a microD, lami and forenotomy at T1-T2 to decompress the T1 nerve root. Sounds similar to what you had for your cervical surgery. They had to cut a bit more on me because he did all the work from the back and had to get around the side.

I had relief for about 3 months and then it came back. New MRI shows more spurring at the same area. No one can explain if he missed something or if it has grown back that quickly. Guess we'll never know.

What is the doctor suggesting for your neck now?
  • Kris-NY said:
    Hi Ken, I was just beginning to wonder what happened to some of the old gang. Welcome back.

What is the doctor suggesting for your neck now?
    Thanks Kris. I am to have a two level discectomy/fusion with titanium plate and screws next. I am planning this for dec/jan sometime.
  • Hi Kris: My neurosurgeon is planning on a two level discectomy/fusion in my neck. He said he will use donor bone and bone marrow from my hip. I'm still paying him off for the lumbar surgery. I have two payments to go. So I'm thinking Jan/Feb for the 2 lvl cervical procedure.