Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone Ever Cut Their Hair Off to Get Some Neck Relief?

katiebugkkatiebug Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hey There,

Perhaps I am grasping at straws, here... but has anyone gotten a little relief from cutting off long hair?

How much does hair weigh anyway? I swear to goodness I would shave my head if it would make a difference.

Anyone have any insight?

• ago, i listened to a couple saying long thick hair could add stress to the cervical. however, i do not have any scientific research /data to back up what they were saying.(i havnt looked)

katie before taking such a drastic measure of shaving yourself bald,(and i dont beleive my long hair has added any stress to my cervical issues) you really need to get a diagnosis for your pain first and see what options/ treatments/further testing your dr recommends

i can hear your frustration , sorry your having pain katie

how did you go with the x-ray?
    when do you go to drs to get results?

hang in there and see what your dr says, yes :)

take care
  • I used to have hair long enough to sit on. It was and is still very thick and I was always having headaches and shoulder problems. I decided to cut it and the braid of hair removed weighs 6 pounds. The muscles in my neck were so weak that it took about 2 weeks to keep from walking around with my head in a downward looking position. To this day, I keep my hair short and have far fewer headaches.

No scientific data to back it up, just a little personal testimony.

• hi c

thats quite a bit of weight there!

but im still not cutting my hair :))(

• My hair only extends to my mid (bottom) of my shoulder blades - doesn't weigh much, I don't think? Like C said, loooonnnnnggg hair could add due to weight. Please don't 'shave' your head woman!!! :)

In the mid 80's, my hair was too my butt...I could feel the weight then!! Not now though, much shorter.

Do I think you are grasping at straws? No. I only say that because in helicopters, I flew with a helmet, and too night vision goggles - not good (forward) for the spine, so logically, I can see it rearward with hair weight if that makes sense? *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • to when i was younger, my hair was much thicker then , so would have weighed more

now, less weight (could be a good thing, for my cervical)
  • I'm 2 months out from my 2nd cervical fusion within a years time.
    I have longish hair that goes to just about the middle of my back, however, its very thin and I can't see it weighing too much. That being said, I've considered many times of cutting it short, just because its difficult to wash and brush out, just haven't been able to bring myself to actually cut it. I feel your pain and hope you can find some relief no matter what your decision.
  • I just got my haircut and she cut off more than I wanted. But I always get headaches tying my hair back and I do that all the time when I go out as my long hair blows all over the place! Long hair takes a lot of work and my hair would always get too tangly being so long but I miss my long hair.:( I asked for layers so my hair would look thicker but it doesn't look thicker at all! I can't wait to get my hair longer again and will grow my layers out again that was a mistake. But as for weight I don't know if there's much of a difference. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN