Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cold right foot is getting painful now

mrsblood312mmrsblood312 Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
I help ..I'm hoping someone has some ideas on this...my right foot (the nerve damage one) is getting so much colder then the other. The doctors either cant do anything or I havent been fortunate to find one that could.

Two years back when the problem was first became noticable was refered to a neuro who tested and said it wasnt a circulation issue (pulse same)... anyway ..Today its getting hard to live with... the foot is about 15 degrees colder now-it's ash colored compare to my other and down ITS so painful...Anyone have ideas?? Iam getting deseperate for some relief..(by the way warm soaks,heating pads ext.. are temporary in that it seems like foot just cant regulate anymore)

• Have you seen a vascular doc?

My dad had similar problems with cold feet for years.
    2 years ago he had quad bypass and asked the doctor about his cold painful legs. They did some testing, anyway 4 weeks ago he had the three stents in his right leg and 2 weeks ago they placed 2 in his left leg.

He says he hasn't felt any cold or pain since the day they placed the stents. He said the pain from before was worse than were the cut him to place the stents!

I don't know how well it would work for you, but they used to make battery powered heated socks for hunters. Like they say, any port in a storm.
  • My first thought was a vascular problem as well; a simple doppler ultrasound/Duplex (non-invasive study) can help sort this out. Just because things looked "fine" two years ago doesn't mean its not an issue now, also there can be compression of the iliac vessels inside the abdomen (the abdominal aorta breaks off into the iliac vessels in the abdomen before they go down the legs); that sometimes take a CT to sort out. Hypothyroidism causes cold feet, but unilateral symptoms need to be looked at!
  • thanks for the responses- but everyone I tell ..takes two fingers..taking the pulse of each at the ankle and they.."no its not a blood supply" issue..I wish I could let them feel what the temperature difference "feels" like it hurts..and I wish they wouldnt dismiss it like a puzzle that lost a piece...ugh..i wanta give up and cut it off..this sucks
  • I have nerve damage in both legs, that goes all the way through my feet. I've had problems for 9 years related to my back, but I'd only classify the last five as "severe." Now, as of about a week ago, something got worse. I'm not sure what, as I have to wait until the end of the month to get insurance through my new job, so I can't get an MRI until then. But, I have had the issues you're talking about. Now, since a week ago, it's even worse. Both of my legs and feet feel freezing yet burning, almost like what your fingers feel like if you've stood out in the cold too long... And it's not even cold here! :/ I also have many other nerve sensations, like tingling, zapping, and something almost like a charlie horse except it comes and goes down both legs randomly, and is definitely nerve pain. I have so many different nerve sensations, too many to list here. And now they're even worse. It could just be the damaged nerves that are causing your sensations. I have one bum knee also, which is a lot less problematic than my back, but the nerve pain makes my knee pain intensify. Whoopie, yay me. <:P I always say the lower half of my body hates me, haha. Or I imagine my little nerve roots looking like worms and screaming, "La la laaaaaaa!" at the top of their little, majorly painful lungs, haha. =)) But, the point of all this rambling is to say it might just be the nerves. I'd try bringing that up to your doc. Ask if the nerves could cause what you're feeling. That's how I got my answer. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this too! I hope you find something to relieve your pain and discomfort!

Much love and understanding,

• Lisa-
    I think you nalied it..Iam no doctor but Iam sure this pain/temperature problem is from all the nerve damage...I am just wishing someone ..somewhere has a "now what" answer
    PS your "much love and understanding" closing lifted me today...thank you
  • I am so happy that I was able to put that into words for you. You're definitely not alone. And just for the record, when I write my closing, I always mean it to the fullest extent. :X It's hard being at the "what now" stage. Sometimes, putting a pillow under your hips/stomach and laying on your stomach with your feet (and part of your lower legs if you so choose) hanging over the edge of the bed will help to take the pressure off the nerves temporarily. Heat increases inflammation, so you can also try ice directly over the part of your spine that is injured, since that is where the nerves originate. You can do 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off but after about an hour of this, the maximum benefit will be reached. You can do this a few times a day if it helps. Have you tried any of the nerve medicines like Lyrica or Neurontin? Lyrica changed my life 5 years ago and I've never had any of the bad side effects like weight gain or swelling. Neurontin is cheaper though because it has a generic. It's a long story but basically I had to start titrating down because I lost my insurance and wouldn't be able to get it. Life sucks with this circumstance. I can't wait to get my new insurance so I can be back up to my regular dose, especially now that I'm worse than ever before. [( Anyway my dear new friend, I'll gladly always be here for you and although my back and lower half of my body hate me, my ears, eyes, and brain work better than ever and I'd be more than happy to lend them to you whenever you'd like! :D You're definitely not alone. >:D<

Much love and understanding,

This discussion has been closed.