Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LasVegasLLasVegas Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
What vitamins are best for healing of the spine and neck?

i.e. Vitamin D is good for bones, etc.

• It all depends on who you speak to. My neurologist has me taking Calcium with vitamin D, Magnesium Oxide, Folic Acid and a multi-vitamin. Not too mention many green leafy vegetables.

• hi las vegas-

Instead of magnesium oxide try magnesium malaete (malic acid)because it has other properties. In a recent study in fibro pts, it decreased their neuro pain significantly. Warning though, mag. products stimulates the bowel= the runs for some. However, it does help one to sleep too. Omega 3 is also good to add.
  • While I can appreciate the advice on the Magnesium Malaete, I will continue to take the Magnesium Oxide as prescribed by my neurologist.

• It's encouraging to see magnesium being prescribed, as it is so essential yet most would be deficient.
    I take magnesium chloride diluted in water, and it's vastly reduced my muscle problems.
    I looked up the oxide variety, and it seems that it is not the most effective one, so you may benefit from clarifying it with your neurologist.
    Here's the info I found:
    "Using other magnesium salts is less advantageous because these have to be converted into chlorides in the body anyway. We may use magnesium as oxide or carbonate but then we need to produce additional hydrochloric acid to absorb them. Many aging individuals, especially with chronic diseases who desperately need more magnesium cannot produce sufficient hydrochloric acid and then cannot absorb the oxide or carbonate."
  • I take Vit B-12, calicum and bio-sil. Bio-Sil it's supposed to be very good for your bones and wrinkles!!

I hope that gives you more info..

• A while ago I was using magnesium salts in a bath to try to reduce the amount of muscle spasms I was getting.
    I had read that magnesium isn't well absorbed through the stomach, but is absorbed through the skin when you take a bath and lie in it for a while.
    I used Epsom Salts in a bath and did get noticeable help from it.

• I take vitamin B complex to try to assist my nerves healing after surgery.

I have also read that vitamin C is helpful.
    I agree about the Omega 3 and use that as well. :-)
  • I take a standard multivitamin, high dose of vitamin D3 and a B complex vitamin. B and D vitamin deficiencies can contribute to higher pain levels. My doctor says not one of her patients is in the normal range for D vitamins, they are all low. I was low until my last test when I barely made the low end of normal. And I take 2000IU daily plus what's in the multivitamin! D vitamins also are needed for your body to absorb calcium and phosphorous but you can overdose with D vitamins. Excess D is not passed by the body but stored in fat cells. B vitamins are passed so there is little risk of overdose.
  • I would consider all-natural vitamins from health food store or Vitamin Shoppe.com. The fruit/veggie vitamins are great!
    Most vitamins from discount stores such as Wal-Mart or something have artificial fillers that you don't need. Also, I've learned from a very respected healthcare professional that if the bottle states only 1 or 2 a day, it's not a quality vitamin. You want something that you have to take 3-4x a day.
    Good luck, anything else, contact me!
  • since my initial posting, I researched vitamins and visited a few health food stores and found the following vitamins to be of benefit for my overall health, specifically problems with my spine.

Vitamin Shoppe is very affordable compared to other health food/vitamin stores.

Triple strength Glucosamine & Chondroitin with MSM.

Calcium 1200 with vitamin D.

Fish oil EPA-DHA.

and Opti-Men multivitamin.
  • Following this last surgery, the surgeon put me on a vitamin called ortho Tabs, to exist along side my multi-vitamin. When I returned for my 3 month follow-up he ran a vitamin D level to be sure the level is staying up.

One thing I caution anyone on vitamins is always check with your doctors on the use of them. Look at the ingredient label, not just what vitamins it contains, along with the serving size. Most don't realize a serving size is 2 pills not one.

• I was slow to fuse after my lumbar fusion in March last year.

Nearly 3 months ago, it was discovered that I had very low levels of Vitamin D and Calcium. I am now on a supplement and my calcium levels have gone up, but I have been told that I still need to take Vitamin D.

I can't help but wonder if the low calcium levels could have been the reason I was slow to fuse.

I wonder that tests for Vitamin D and calcium levels isn't part of the pre-surgery testing.

• Vitamins are good for the health.There are many types of vitamins like Vitamin D,E,C,B and many more and we can get that vitamin from the different place like we can get Vitamin C from the fruits like Mango, Orange. We can get Vitamin D from the sun and all the vitamins are important for our body.
  • Vitamins can not be absorbed, there is no intake of food. This is why it is suggested that vitamins, must take a meal. They help regulate the body's metabolism, helping the formation of bone and tissue, and to help convert fat and carbohydrates. However, we must remember that vitamins can not replace food.
  • You have given a very good and a nice information about the benefits of vitamin D. The information which you have given for the benefits of vitamin D are beneficial for me also for others who wants to know this.I liked and very much impressed by this.
  • spend some time in the sun....at least 20 minutes regurlarly......

your body creates vitamin D with sunshine....

get this....

vitamins are not effective without minerals....

that is why a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and veggies is important....

they provide minerals and vitamins which are absorbed effectively....

unfortunately todays soil is lacking in certain minerals....

magnesium is at the top of the list....

I recommend magnesium citrate.....

along with calcium its a great muscle relaxer....

stomach health is the key to optimal health....

the gard diet is key to restore stomach health...

Live to Pray
This discussion has been closed.