Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar Pain Poll

LasVegasLLasVegas Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Lower Back Pain
Never seen an area to create a poll, but thought I would question if my pain levels are similar to the majority of others with lumbar pain.

From most painful to least/no pain...what hurts most?

A. Sitting
B. Laying Down
C. Standing
D. Walking

For me, I would rate it (most pain to least pain) as follows:
A, C, D, B

• Ok, for me worst to least:

A, I've mentioned in previous post chairs & I aren't on speaking terms right now!

D, I would rather stand then sit, let's say at a doc visiit, but I need to lean after about 10 min, cane, walker, wall...... hubby!

C, ok, now your standing and moving, BOGO!

B, my bed is my BFF, right now (post op) me & my Droid! I'm very happy laying down. I actually asked my boss if I can work from my mattress LOL, no response, not sure if its OSHA, kosha!

Nice, idea LV! Interesting to see what others say. =D>

• Here ya go...:

C D A B

C: Standing still for even 5 minutes, the pain soars!
    D: If I just walk, not bad, but pauses, minor bends to look at things, slow walking 10 minutes, I'm done!!
    A: Sitting...It depends on the chair, and *if* I can wiggle around.
    B: Laying down with my head and legs elevated, I am good. Flat on my back - Ain't happening!!!

[edited by me - more detail like Virginia] :)
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • In order pre-ops:

C. Pre-TLIF: Couldn't stand for more than 5 min.
    D. Pre-TLIF: Couldn't walk for more than 30 min.
    A. Pre-ACDF: Couldn't sit for more than 30 min; Pre-TLIF: sitting not much of a problem, but best in recliner in a very slight reclined position
    B. Ahhhhhh, relief pre-both surgeries

In order post-ops:

C. Pain after standing for more than 2 hours, bend forward for relief
    D. Pain after walking for more than 2 hours, bend forward and/or sit for a while for relief
    A. Cervical pain after sitting about 2-3 hours, must be aware of posture and get up to keep pain to a minimum
    B. Ahhhhhh, relief post-both surgeries*

*Being a side sleeper and sleeping on my wedge pillow because of bad chest cold and unable to lay flat creating bad lumbar pain in the morning.

• I cannot stand for more than 30 seconds in one spot but if I move around a little shifting weight doing the pelican one leg stand I could stand longer. Sitting I have to be slouched over. Walking for me is limited to a block or two on a good day and even then with a cane I stumble from a weak foot as I have L4-L5 nerve damage. Laying down still have to change positions frequently except for thank goodness for sleeping pills and then wake up frequently to reposition. Chronic pain is awful. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • CDAB for me as well.
  • LasVegas said:
    Never seen an area to create a poll, but thought I would question if my pain levels are similar to the majority of others with lumbar pain.

From most painful to least/no pain...what hurts most?

A. Sitting
    B. Laying Down
    C. Standing
    D. Walking

For me, I would rate it (most pain to least pain) as follows:
    A, C, D, B

Okay, For me it is also,

My BFF is my bed too! I also asked my boss if I can work lying down and got a funny look LOL..
  • A,C,D by far the best is B
  • C A D B

C & A are pretty much tied

Laying down is the only way I get relief, with a pillow under my knees and my head and shoulders raised a bit.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • From bad to better it's:

A - cannot sit for too long as this aggravates the pain in my back/leg and also causes low back pain (cocyx) that I never had before, OUCH!

C - I cannot stand still for too long either. However, if I can walk about at the same time, this helps alot.

B - laying down is OK once I get into a comfortable position (and have taken my pain meds beforehand i.e. at night). However, if I turn over in my sleep the pain wakes me up - maybe I do this incorrectly whilst I'm unconscious?

D - walking is the best. For example, if I arrive anywhere by car, once I have got over the initial discomfort of physically getting out of the car, straightening myself up and bending my right leg to ease the sciatic pain, and once my back pain has 'settled' after walking slowly for a bit, then walking is when I feel the least pain.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Worst to least:

In addition: stairs
  • Standing I can only manage for a very short time and even then I have to rock side to side while doing it...or shift weight one foot to the other. For me, I can only handle sitting if it is a really comfy spot...prefer couch where I can kinda lean on my hip or curl up on side...kinda halfway lying.
    Walking I can do for a while, it is painful with each step, expecially outside or cement floors, and I walk very slow and careful.
    Bed lying down is the best of the four...on my side with pillow between legs...turn over on other hip about every 2 hours or less.
    currently waiting for fusion l5/s1 or possible adr if candidate
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Historically--C, D, A, B--but my lumbar pain is minimal since my recent fusion, even though that was not the point of the surgery. image

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • pre-op

post op

it's a total inversion from pre- post surgery!
  • cadb for me standing is the worst thing for me. Sitting is worse than if I where to walk. If I stand in place for a long period of time (5mins> thats really long to me with my problems).
  • 1. C--standing is by far the worst.
    A--sitting is very difficult at times, especially in a car. I can sit best in my recliner,probably because I am able to move around.
    D==I do pretty well walking, as long as it is on even terrain, I am wearing good, flat shoes, and I keep moving.
    B--The Best!!!! I am most comfortable in bed. I have a Temperpedic Mattress, and love it.

ALIF 2008, failed back syndrome, chronic pain management.
  • This is kinda interesting. I wonder if the great and good (ie Surgeons, consultants etc.) collect this kind of data??? Must tell us something about pain and it's origins. Or am I just being too simplistic?!!

• pre operations

C Standing 9
    A Sitting 8
    D Walking 6
    B Laying Down 4

Post ops

A Sitting 6
    D Walking 3 after walking 5
    C Standing 3
    B Laying Down 2

The numbers are the usual 1-10 pain scale, and the post op is now some 20 months after the last op and after considerable physiotherapy. I`d like to add hanging over a pilates ball gives a 1 on the scale, kinda limited position but, a 1 is a 1 and 10 minutes 3 times a day is heaven.

Thanks for a fascinating post Las Vegas !

• Maybe we could "stickie" this at the top?

Another thought is for somebody good with computers to form some type of graph with A, B, C, D and every time somebody answers this pain poll, the scores are input automatically into a statistical bar graph or similar tool.

Regardless, glad to see others are using this
This discussion has been closed.