Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 ruptures/LBP/memory foam advice

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi Everyone!

I just joined this site as I'm looking for advice on mattress choice for chronic lower back pain due to past surgeries on L5 ruptured disk.

Recently my lower back pain has gotten worse regardless of pain meds, cortisone injections, muscle relaxers, and lidocaine patches. Nothing seems to be helping and the only thing I can attitribute to the change in pain level is we recently changed from a pillow top to a memory foam mattress. Now, when I wake up in the morning I can barely get out of bed and it takes hours for my back to losen up if it does at all. I am incrediably stiff and feel a deep, constant pain dead center in my lower back. It has gotten so bad that I have begun to sleep on the couch. When I do so I experience far less pain the next morning!

All my research indicated "memory foam" was supposed to be better for your back but my experience has proven to be just the opposite. Has anyone else experienced a similar scenario? Can anyone recommend a mattress topper(other than memory foam) that might help this situation? We cannot afford another set of mattresses at this time but I can't continue to endure this pain or sleep on my couch forever.

I would appreciate any information or advice as the increasing pain is effecting all areas of my life.

• strictly speaking to my own experience, I've actually found the firmer the mattress, the better off I am - maybe get rid of the topper altogether and see how that works!
  • Thanks for the reply Millie! I'm still learning how to navigate around this site so I hope I'm not making any mistakes here! :)
    Actually, we don't have a topper - just the memory foam mattress set. That's why I was thinking a different type topper might help. I'm not sure if I would describe our mattress as "hard or firm" it's just different. Regardless, I don't like it at all! I wonder if putting a ply wood plank under it might help??? Who knows - but I do appreciate your input and hope you are feeling better!

• we bought the temper top of the range double bed .we did not like it because it was too hard and .for me i found it hard work getting off it as you sink in and everytime you try to get some purchase to get yourself out of bed all your energy is lost in the foam .so we bought the velds pro-flex 30 electrically adjustable bed with a memory foam and sprung mattress .we love this bed my wife can sleep on it for over ten hours .and because there's independent control on each side you don't disturb your wife/husband .partner /whatever {i hope that i have been politically correct there and not offended anyone!} my advice is don't get memory foam on its own the combination mattress a better option and if you can afford it the electrical adjustable base is the best { we bought a pair and when joined up they just look like a large bed } they dont look like the old hospital beds you can get every style available now ..if money is tight ,then you may consider a memory foam overlay .there are many sires that deliver all over the word you dont need anything thinker than 75mm {3 inches} in-fact 50mm is fine ..i hope that this is of some help
  • Straker,

Just wanted to give you a "thanks" for the recommendation. I'll have to look up the velds pro-flex 30 and check it out. I agree our memory foam is difficult to get out of and it feels so "heavy!" I have been checking out the adjustable air beds but haven't made any decisions at this point.
    Good Luck on your next surgery - it sounds serious! Back problems seem to never completely go away no matter what you do and that really stinks!!
  • but are you in the uk ..if so you can get the same bed i mentioned at sleepmasters and its called the sensor foam revolution {but its a velda proflex 30 } only mush cheaper as its made under licence for a large outlet ..that's what we have got 2 of them and we saved about half what it should have been .so if you are in the uk go to sleepmasters .if not you could do what i have recommended to scott and that's look at ebay because many electrically adjustable beds are bought for the elderly or young couples looking for the lasted toy but get fed up with them and sell them at a substantial loss ..it work aloof.com found a tempur bed electrical adjustable with the tempur mattress for only 200 pounds !!
  • No, I'm not in the UK but do live in UK Wildcat Country if your a college basketball fan!!! :) I'll definitely look at Ebay and your other recommendations. There are so many types/brands out there that it becomes overwhelming when trying to make a decision!

Thanks Again!
  • Were so disappointed as we had had a memory foam topper from Costco for a year that we put on our normal mattress and loved it. Spent a whopping lot of money on a memory foam and both of us were waking up stiff and sore and I don't even have a back problem. Did not want to put out that much money again so we took the old topper and put it on top of the new mattress and it is just lovely.
  • I also have memory foam and sprung mattress, I found that just the memory was just to soft and had the same problems (straker)had getting out of bed and it hurt my back. I try them out at the show room they may be the best way to do it
This discussion has been closed.