Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My surgery is scheduled

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
I haven't been on here for quite some time. I had my 2 level PLIF in Dec 08, and although it healed nicely, the pain never went away. I went to many Drs and trial injections, they took out the hardware all to no avail. Finally had another discogram March of 10, and pain but nothing.Tried the back brace and my ortho who did the first surgery, suggested I go to the cities to the Dr that found my first tears in disc. Soo. In Sept went to him, he had me do another discogram, and had to fight insurance to get another one.
Had the disco last Friday. Called to get appt and couldn't get in until Jan 6. That was just to go over the test. I have a $10,000.00 deductible. So with that being said, I made arrangements to see my Ortho that did the surgery. I knew he could do it, and before the end of the year. I wrote a letter to the Dr in the cities explaining that I was having the films and report sent to my Ortho and that the financial burden over the past 4 years made it hard to wait. Actually, impossible. Told him thanks for the help. And emailed it to the office in the cities.
Not much more that an hour later, the Dr from the cities called me, and said he would work me in Dec 13th if I wanted. Of course I said yes. He told me that it was shit high deductible and that he had people complaining about 2,000. He felt that I was justified to get in,,,SO GREAT! I get my 2nd fusion, the first was L4-L5and L5-S1. This will be L2-L3 and L3-L4. And I can hardly wait. I have been hurting non stop since 2006 and am ready to get my life back. He is also doing it minimally invasive. So recoup should be better.
Please I need all your prayers! First that the Insurance CO will approve it out of network at the in network rates. Do to the fact that no Drs in my state can find it. And second, that it works! I know it sounds awful to be excited, but I am just wanting to get some pain relief.
I know that my pain might not be all gone, but to get of fentanyl patches and oxycodone will be a great feat! I want to wake up and be able to do something, instead of pop pain pills all day. So prayers for now and on the 13 of December will be appreciated.
And I hope that all of you that are waiting for answers, never give up, like me. You just cant loose the faith! I should addd that the test last Friiday showed the 2 discs had bad tears in them as well.

• IowaRobin,

You got it. Sending prayers and good strong wishes your way that all comes out as you are hoping for. And no, we are an odd group in that when the time 'has come' we look forward sometimes to surgery! Sending some positive energy for you too! *HUGZ* :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • IowaRobin,
    Sending those best wishes and prayers your way. Good to hear from you. Please keep us posted. I'm right there with you hoping this will do the trick for you.
  • You've been through so much haven't you. I'm happy that you're booked in for L2 - L4 and that you'll finally get your life back again. It'll be great if you can eventually get off the Fentanyl and the Oxycodone.

I only had a one level 12 months ago, but it was successful and I'm about 80% pain free. Any pain I have comes from L3-4 and L5-S1, which weren't too good before L4-5 was done. My surgeon didn't want to do a multi-level just yet, and hopefully I won't have to have any more surgery.

I hope all goes well for you on the 13th December and do keep in touch.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi Robin,

I've wondered what had become of you. It's so good to see you back on the board, and even better, to learn that you're going to get some much-needed surgery! I hope it resolves your pain in one of those idyllic moments where you wake up and have sweet relief. :)

Since you've been gone I've had 2-level PLIF (L4-L5-S1) with laminectomies and am still in the very early stages of recovery. Am in a back brace for activities and on Lyrica for lingering nerve pain but feeling very positive about this surgery, as I hope you will be in a few weeks. We have a $4,000 deductible ($10K WOW!) so can absolutely understand your joy at getting this surgery scheduled by the end of the year with the surgeon of your choice. That was some smart maneuvering, girl!

Hope you stick around between now and your surgery, but if not, know that I'll be praying for you and your surgeon on Dec. 13. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Patience, Persistance, Courage....you have these virtues in spades!

I was having a little pity party for myself this morning due to a fibro flareup. I am truly amazed by you!

If anyone deserves a break and a chance for less pain in their life it's you (and Straker).

I'm in a bible study right now entitled Trusting God. It's talks of God's sovereignty over everything in our lives and that even when bad events fall our way that God has a purpose for this in our lives. Kind of hard to take when you're the one in pain. The author goes on to say how loving God is and that He will deliver us, in his time, from our ills. I PRAY that this surgery will be God's deliverance from your past years of surgeries and pain.

Many >:D< >:D< >:D< and sending O:) O:) O:) to watch over you...I'll get my bible study babes to offer up a huge prayer on your surgery date.

Take care sweetie and your SH buddies are on your side!

• Sending out a prayer for you and that this will get you stable and out of pain. So glad to hear the Surgeon is getting you in to cover your deductible. After what you've been through you deserve to get some pain relief finally. Warm regards. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Glad to hear you are getting your surgery. Your presence has been missed here. Sending good vibes and mojo your way. Its finally time for you to feel better.

Take care,

• So what odds do they give you that these fusions will resolve your pain? Is your pain back pain or radicular pain?

That will be so much fusion! A big step to take indeed, you must be very sure it's going to solve the problems!

At one point my physiatrist and I were discussing a 4 level fusion for various reasons (I ended up not needing one) and he said it puts extreme pressure on the SI joint. So, just a warning there. Good luck!
  • :H >:D< :H >:D<

It so good to hear from you again!
    I know that you have been suffering for a very long time since your original surgery.

At least now they have a plan to help you.

My surgery was fully open, so not experienced minimally invasive. I would imagine that the surgical pain will be less, but reading from others' posts, I think you will still have a long recovery and will have to be very careful.

It is going to be a lot of fused vertebrae, but hopefully without the movement, the pain will be less.
    Remember Gwennie? I have been keeping in touch with her, and she is doing so much better this time, than her other surgeries. She now has L3/L4, L4/L5 and L5/S1 fused. Not quite as much as you will have, but still a big fusion.

I will pray for you Robin, while you prepare for this and for a successful surgery. Then I'll keep praying for you during the recovery.
    Do let us know how you are getting on with the preparation, and how you get on.
    You have probably got a lot of experience to share with others too. :-)

• i really hope your 2nd fusion gives pain releif for you
    how nice of your surgeon of choice to do surgery, when you explaied your situation, good one !

maybee there are others that have the experience with MIS that will post
    my understanding is the "cut" is smaller , so therefore , less trauma to the actuall surgical site, but they still have to accomplish the fusion so.....
    theres prob a few diff techniques

wishing you the best outcome
    take care
  • So good to see your name! You have been missed! I've been wondering how your PT was going and everything else with you.

I tell you what, what Judy posted is right along my lines of thinking. I don't think I can add anything to what she has posted, other than I will put you back on our prayer chain over here. O:)

I have your surgery date marked down and I really hope this will be the end to your surgeries. You have been through so much and I pray this surgery is a complete success for you.

Please keep us posted.

Hugs with love,

Tammy >:D<
  • That is a lot of fusion.

It's funny, my NS talked about how I would be less mobile (bendable) with a 2 level. Well, I just popped right back and told him I was immobile NOW - just that the now included lightning pain every time I did move.

I PREFER not moving to having searing pain every time I accidentally move.

I'm so glad that it's looking like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel - FINALLY - for you.