Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in my posterior ribcage and severe abdominal pain

sjwssjw Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
From the end of August to mid-September, I had two spinal surgeries. I had a spinal fusion surgery for scoliosis from T4-L4 in 2003 but somehow, the hardware had gotten infected and it took up until March of this year to diagnose it. The infection was pretty out of control and into the bones of my spine. In the first surgery, he removed the hardware and attempted to remove any infected tissue as much as possible. In the second surgery, he checked on the state of the infection and did a laminectomy, fixed a partially slipped disc and did a discectomy. The second surgery was done from an anterior approach.

I was on IV antibiotics up until just recently. I am now on oral antibiotics (sulfameth/trimethoprim).

But recently I've been having pretty severe posterior rib pain to the point where I can't breathe well because it's so painful to inhale. Also, I've been having really intense abdominal pain. Should I be worried?

• sjw

I think that in view of all the problems you have had, I would definately call your surgeon.

You don't want to delay and give any problems enough time to get hold again.

I have problems in my thoracic spine too, and have experienced the same pain in the back of my rib cage which makes it hard to breathe. This also comes with abdominal pain. The pain was so bad one night that I had to go to ER. I have had to have an ultrasound scan of my gall bladder and various other organs to check that is not where the pain is coming from.

I am still waiting for the results.
    I almost wished that it was my gall bladder because the treatment is less invasive than thoracic spine problems!

I hope that your problem is easily solved and you can get on with the recovery from your surgery.

Take good care >:D<