Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Buzzing/ Internal Vibrations

NumbskullNNumbskull Posts: 1,526
I remember a while ago there was a thread about these "internal vibrations" or buzzing sensations. Just wondering if anyone got an answer on what causes it? I was sent for a brain CT to check for lesions (which I have none, thankfully) as they say these sensations can be a side effect from that, or MS.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone has an answer, as my leg has been buzzing constantly the past few days! It feels like my cell phone is inside my leg, set to vibrate, and someone keeps calling me non stop...
Kelly
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
advertisement

Comments

• I have the buzzing in the front of my thighs constantly. I've been diagnosed with chronic moderate Neuropathy in both legs, and per the EMG, I have lesions, but they affect the C5-8 not my lumbar. In December I will be getting updated x-rays/MRI's and like you, a CT to see if lesions really are there. MS for me is not off the table until then. I'm thinking it is some "misfiring" of nerves in my legs, maybe the same for you?

Mine also changes based on what position my legs are in. So far if standing still, it buzzes but then it quickly converts to pain, and sitting - stays pretty steady there. Not bad laying down or if my legs are elevated. Hope that helps?

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Mine buzz away in any position!! Well, I shouldn't say mine, it's just my left leg, the one with all the damage. I had a scan done on my back as well, no spinal lesions either. My doc was very worried about MS as my sister has it, but so far, I've been cleared. That was a big weight lifted, especially for my mom! I believe in that other thread someone said it was nerve related as well, which only makes sense.
    Kelly
  • Kelly,

So glad to see you were cleared. *If* I have lesions they are in the upper motor neurons according to my EMG. For that, they will do the brain scan when I come back from our trip. There is no MS in my immediate or extended that I know of - maybe that's why I'm not freaking over it?

As for my buzzing, I am 99% in my brain believing mine is neuropathy. Have you been told you have neuropathy or radicular pain? Not sure if it buzzes with radicular, but yeah never know. I was told the neuropathy sometimes "has a mind of its own"...I think that was their way of saying until the full cause of it is determined, it will continue to increase. Sigh. Believe it or not, sometimes I find the buzz feeling kind of nice. Yeah, okay, say it. I am officially weird! Hope you find out what is going on Kelly. *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • Yes, I have both neuropathy and radicular pain in both my left leg and right arm. My joke is that I'm glad it's on opposite sides, I'm evened out, otherwise I'd always be going in circles! lol.
    You know, it's funny, while we were waiting for the results, I wasn't too worried about it, I kept thinking, at least I'd have a diagnosis and know the reason why and the cause of it all. I'm now just resigned to the fact that I have "faulty wiring".
    The buzz does remind me of having the tens on, which I do find comforting, so I guess I'm weird right beside you! lol
    Kelly
  • Hello fellow weird person! (Huge Grins!!) Mine was originally both legs (front of thighs) and my right arm, but my left is starting to act up albeit in a minor way compared to the rest. I fully understand your "at least know what is going on" stage. I'm still listed as "idiopathic" for mine! Sux huh?

I still think my L2/3 nerves caused mine. Just enough to screw up the nerve messages down that path, then the radicular decided to stay outward to my outer hips. Sigh...life is grand! Hehehehe I just tucked my feet under my chair so I could arch my back a little, and ....buzzy, buzzy, buzz, buzz! (G)

Brenda
  • Kelly,

Almost forgot. One of the things that helps me when the buzz is 'not a feeling' I want is I use the heels of my hands and press down and 'walk' my heels down my thigh. I calms it a little sometimes, and massage at the same time!! :)

Brenda
  • LOL, you know what? I'm always rubbing my leg, and I don't even realize I'm doing it!! I'm surprised my all pants aren't lingerie by now, lol.

I do have DDD from L4-S1, moderate to severe, so they tell me. So maybe that might be adding to it? The weird thing is that the first buzzing I ever felt, was just above my pubic bone, that was normally only sitting, especially driving. I thought for the longest time it was just vibrations from the car or something, but then I noticed it sitting at work. But now it's in my leg, both upper and lower, but lately the lower has been constant, the upper more sporadic. In the lower, it's in my calf area, but on the outer side, and more lower on the front and side, like just above my ankle. Sometimes it's strong, and other times faint. In my thigh area, it's mostly to the outer side, sometimes on top. I do have ITBS, so maybe that has something to do with it as well? dunno.
    Kelly
  • Hehehe.. it's funny you noticed that, because one day I was watching TV and looked down and saw I was doing it! Now I do it consciously and more aggressive than before - it does seem to help. Hot showers too. I actually tried reverse psychology on my legs one day (it didn't work by the way), I put my electrodes right in the center of it..wowzers! I actually hurt for a few hours after that! I think I kicked it into super buzz or something!!

Like you, I hope they figure out what is causing it. I've seen people on here with neuropathy, have xx surgery and it's gone. So I guess in the back of my mind, I wonder if some neuropathy is incorrectly diagnosed radicular pain that is just weird? And when the problems are in line with the disk level, how do they decide if it's radicular vs neuropathy? Have you ever wondered that? :?

Brenda
  • Aviatrix36440 said:
    I actually tried reverse psychology on my legs one day (it didn't work by the way)
    ROFL, thanks I needed that laugh!!! I try not to wonder or think too much into it, it makes my brain hurt, and then my eye droops, LOL

I tried my tens on my leg, nearly went through the roof! NOt so much on the thigh area, but my lower half, like you said, WOWZERS... I'll never do that again! I thought there was a short or something in the wires...

Oh, just as it's happening, I sometimes get it in my big toe, too. Just that one though, and nowhere else in my foot. Weird, eh?
    Kelly
  • OMG!! Now you got me sitting here laughing my butt off! OMG - toooooo funny! When I did my wowzer, I don't think my TENS was past 2! When I have the electrodes along my spine, or the base of my neck, I am pretty happy with a setting around 4, 4 and a half. Mine is a dual unit, so I mix TENS and EMS - Yes!! :)

Toes. Before my standing became an issue, I would have on both feet, my 3 middle toes would go numb! MRI wise, those disks look fine. EMG wise the only level without problems in the lumbar was the common one *most* have problems with - L5/S1 - go figure huh? I must be wired funny! Geesh, aren't we a pair Kelly? Snicker, chuckle...still giggling! :) *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • hhmmmm, I haven't felt my pinky toe since my lateral release almost 4 years ago!! When I stand, the whole appendage just goes numb, lol
    Kelly
  • I know with mine, standing pretty much was the only activity that caused them to go numb. If while standing for instance, I were to lean back or forward, the numbness would go away! So your piggy toe also only numbs in certain positions? I don't things going numb, but only if the numb *will* go away! :)

Brenda
  • oh, no my little piggy ( :))( ) has been numb since my knee surgery, my whole leg and foot goes numb when standing after a few minutes. Walking, it takes a little longer, but definitely standing still, it doesn't take long at all. Circulation?
    Kelly
  • Knee surgery knocked out your piggy? Bummer! I had modified arthroscopic on mine, no nerve problems that I ever noticed. Did they check the circulation? You know one of those vascular Docs that get paid the big bucks! I don't even remember 'nerve damage' as one of the pre-surgical warnings. But that was in the late 80's....So now you're telling me you're little piggy CAN'T go weee, wheeee, wheeeeeee all the way home! Snicker-doodle mode off, sorry couldn't resist!! :)

Oh Kelly, you're killing me tonight! Thanks!!! :)

Brenda
  • Nope, it got left behind at the market!! LOL

Well, what happened, after the lateral release (they cut the tendon attached to my knee, as it was too tight and pulling my kneecap off track, and scraped the knee cap down as well) about a week later, apparently I tore my hamstring. The only way I figure I did that was at physio. Anyways, my whole leg, from thigh to toes on the outside was black from bruising. Nobody knew why, my pt, my doc, even my ortho, who saw the bruising, too, at my follow-up. We didn't know it had torn until two years ago, it showed on an MRI. The scar tissue from that, and the surgery, fused all the soft tissue in my thigh together. You can actually see the big hard mass that my thigh now is from the "clump". I was lucky, two years ago, to have a pt who was qualified in deep tissue massage, and she was able to break some of it up, but oh boy, did that hurt. WOWZERS for hours, during and after, every week, pure torture. I don't understand how they all missed it, as when I found out that's what happened, I researched and found that bruising like I had is a sign of a torn hamstring... Anyways... Also, since then, the lower part of my leg is hypersensitive to touch, like a bedsheet just lightly laying on top of it hurts. And I'm not exaggerating. To wear my boot at work is just pure h-e-double hockey sticks. But I get used to it after the first couple of hours. That, with the ITBS, sciatica pain down the back (which, the SI joint injection I had the other week has helped with that!! :D ) the arthritis in my knee and that hip, the spasms in my thigh causing my leg to give way, or just my knee giving out, my leg, well, just plain sucks... lol So that's my leg story and I'm stuck with it, along with my little piggy that's still stuck at the market!! 8}
    Kelly
  • I wonder *if* they had discovered that sooner, they might have prevented the nerve damage, or some of it at least. Hind site stinks! (G)

Sleeping and pain of things touching it. I have that skin sensitivity around my ribs below my breasts and when I go out I use a 'abdominal brace' higher up of course, and wow what a difference. Thought - is it such that you can wrap an Ace bandage around your sensitive area when you sleep? See mine is sort of okay with the pressure of the brace, but it can't handle just a soft T-shirt brushing that skin without me going nuts. I wonder if that would help when you sleep?

Brenda
  • Okay, you're scaring me here!!! LOL We are too much alike.... You know what does help me when my leg is paining really bad? When I woke up from my foraminotomy, second to noticing that my neck was really stiff and hurt, but my arm pain was pretty much gone, was how good my leg felt! I asked them if they cut it off! They had put those anti-embolism socks on my legs. So they let me keep the pair, I guess they cost around $80 or so from what the nurses told me (I asked if they could slip me another pair, the quick answer was no, lol). And wearing that does help, it covers your whole leg and foot, and is very tight. I actually had it on all day today!
    Kelly
  • Naw, not scary, good! Great minds think alike!! I find that one of the *cough* pluses of being a spiney, and especially when in multiple areas affecting our bodies, we HAVE to get creative because as we know, some things won't change (or like thoracic - maybe not for years), pills and such don't always work, so wraps, canes, extra pillows, ice, heating etc. Where as doctors:

TENS/EMS
    Shots, shots and more shots.
    Different drugs - Opiates, narcotics, Analgesics etc.
    Chiro
    Massage
    PT...

Well you know, the list goes on. Our creative thinking sometimes gives us more relief! Like the buzz legs - press, rub, ahhhh (if only for a little bit). (G) Okay, I'll let you stay scared for a little bit - I see that sly smile! B)

Brenda
  • Don't forget heating pads and hot baths!! Or, like Lucy from Peanuts said "Happiness is a warm puppy!" :D Speaking of which, mine are ready to snuggle up in bed, guess I should go oblige them! Thanks Brenda!!
    Kelly
  • Aviatrix36440 said:
    Great minds think alike!!
    p.s. As kids, whenever we'd say that to my mom, she'd just give us a wry look and say "Yes, but fools seldom differ" :O LOL (we'll just stick with great minds!)
    Kelly
  • smiley735 said:
    Don't forget heating pads and hot baths!! Or, like Lucy from Peanuts said "Happiness is a warm puppy!" :D Speaking of which, mine are ready to snuggle up in bed, guess I should go oblige them! Thanks Brenda!!
    Your mom was a wise woman, but I agree lets stay with the "smart minds...."

I have a walk in shower in my house! But I love my heating pad! Hubby is borrowing mine. We thought he got a hernia (inaugural), but now looking like a torn muscle, so I gave him the heating pad to see if it helps! My warm little furry bodies are my kitty fur kids! Sleep well! Thanks too for the laughs - needed em! *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • I have not thought about it, until I read your post. The vibrating cell phone feeling is what I experiance also. Funny thing is it is on the left side, front pelvis, (almost where my pocket is)and I always carry the phone in my right pocket.
  • YOu know factory, you're the only guy I've heard here say that they had buzzing too!
    Kelly
  • Mine is very sporadic! Both sciatic nerves to my feet,and simultaneous!
  • When I am having a lot of LBP I will get this

BUUZZZZZUUUUTTT-BUUZZZZZZUUTTTTT

Noise vibration in my ears head....not constant, just two or three times, then nothing, then two or three times again. If I take a BT pain med, it goes away.

(Thank goodness none of you know my address, or I would expect the men in their clean white coats coming to take me away, haha)
  • I have internal shaking in my head since Feb of 06. I had an MRI on my brain and everything was normal. Bizarre sensation regardless of where it happens to buzz. I think mine was caused by my neck issues and my root nerve being compressed. I havent noticed any tremors since surgery.

I know I bring up menapause a lot here...but there are many women who suffer from internal shaking/buzzing. I found a great forum several years back for women just entering into the change and those full blown. A great forum community as well as great reading and info. URL Removed - contact CGM for the link
    We are not alone!

EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Administrator Dave
  • I am a Phlebotomist and my opinion is that this is a fluttering valve in your vein. I don't know why it would flutter but it does. My lower leg just started this fluttering/buzzing and it does feel really weird. I was getting ready to do a stick one time and the persons arm started this buzzing and it freaked me out. We are not told about "valves" in veins in school-- BUT the CDC procedures for a blood draw is NOT to stick in a valve...Well how do you know where they are???
advertisement