Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

December 2010 Surgeries

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Is it too early to start? I don't want to take the focus away, I promise to still be here to support the Novembers :)

• L2 vertebrectomy and spinal realignment via anteriolateral incision.

L1-L3 360° fusion via posterior incision.

December 15, 2010.
  • I am having a 360 Fusion on L4-S1 on December 14th. First surgery ever. Little scared ok a lot scared. Any tips would be greatly accepted. I am a single mom to a 4 year old. So my help is very limited.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
  • Anybody else scheduled yet? I'm sure most of you actually didn't want to be laid up over the holidays, but it works out well for me because it is 2+ less weeks I have to figure out how to get my kids to school :)

So I found a cheap source of satin sheets- are they really worth it? And should I get a memory foam pad for my bed?
  • I am having a two level min invasive ALIF on Dec 13 for levels L-2-3 and L3-4. Torn discs above the previous fusion on Dec 8,2008 of L 4-5 and L 5-S1. I am sure hoping this takes away the pain and is not the start of the ladder effect!
    Seems like I said to Hubby that I wouldnt do another fusion in the winter, but, when you have met your 10,000.00 deductible, you do what you have to do. And yes it was 10,000.00 not a typo. After four years of deductibles I cant afford to wait any longer. That and my spirits are getting down. Just want to get it over so that I may try to get my life back!
    So, I am getting Christmas done early and we will have it after the 1st of the year. I want to be able to somewhat enjoy the kids and my two special grandkids!
  • And I dont have my shopping done, havnt arranged the house for recovery, no decorations yet,,Yikes!
  • I am having a TLIF with laminectomy on one of the those 2 dates posted. Will find out for sure which date it will be on Monday..Hoping for the 8th so i can finish my xmas shopping before i go in..Though i have started so i guess i am ahead a little bit.. Especially for me.. i am usually still shopping the day before xmas eve sometimes..But as for everything else need to get done i am almost there...:) I just need to get my xmas decorations up, in which i am doing today being the kids are still out of school...and i pretty much have everything i need for the surgery and what i need for when i come home from the hospital...I will keep you posted on what the date is going to be as soon as i know..
  • L2 Vertebrectomy with hardware

T12-L4 PLIF

Dec 3rd, 2010

4 level fusion

• Good luck all of you having Dec surgeries. Being laid up over Xmas is not so great but my theory is I'll have better TV and my mum and my husbands mum and dad to fuss over me (or drive me crazy).

I wish you sucess and release from pain. :H
  • Yep, I won't have to be worried about getting my kids to and from school for those weeks! That was my main concern :)
  • I am having an ACDF (C3-4) and TDR (C4-5) on December 14th. They told me 1 -2 days in the hospital which seems to be the norm.
    I am a teacher so I only have to miss a few days in work and will have almost 3 weeks to recover.
  • Asignor, we will all have successful surgeries, in the spirit of the season :)

I feel like this week begins the countdown, as I will have my first pre-op appointment. Wednesday I meet with my PM and he will be drastically reducing my pain meds prior to surgery. He finds that trying to wean off of meds in the weeks prior really helps with pain control post-surgery (it will be hard, but I really don't want to have trouble controlling post-surgical pain!).

He will also be developing a plan for pain management post-surgery.

Just 2 1/2 weeks go go. I am shopping for some new jammies and lounge dresses so I don't feel like I'm wearing grungy sweats all the time.
  • Countdown...14 days, and I have alot to do yet, Xmas tree to do, outside decorations, rest of shopping. It will be ok...
    And we will all have sucessful surgeries! I can feel it in my bones...
  • I have 5 days to go! I can feel sucess for all of us too :) I hope this week goes fast, I just want to get it over with now. I'm pretty sad tonight, I was at a family function and no body even wished me good luck! My sister is having an operation the same day as me and she has a family who will be there for her. I guess I felt jealous that I'm not going to have that. :( I know I can log on to SH and talk to someone here...

Good luck our Dec successes!
  • You are right there are many wonderful people here to wish you good luck, say a prayer, and just listen if you need them to as I do so much of the time.

So Good Luck and you'll do great as a fellow spiney said a few posts up, we'll all have sucsessful surgeries for the Christmas season.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all,

AL S
  • I just realized that I've post my surgery is scheduled for the 15th, sorry it's the 14th not that it matters much except to my surgeon if I showed up a day late.

Ok that's the BIG news.
    AL S
  • Hope everyone is doing well! I had my final PM appointment today and he made me nervous. I have a prescription for roxicodone for after surgery, to take on top of what I'm taking already. Yikes!

He gave me the talk about remaining realistic and to look for improvements in function rather than pain, because my pain is moderate-severe and fairly controllable now, it is likely to remain that way post fusion.

He thinks I'll be on the roxi for about a month, then taper to my current pain meds, then we'll talk about whether I can reduce them.
  • Yes, it's true I am scheduled for my second surgery on December 14 at 7 AM on my lower spine L-4 to S-1
    is a mess, severe pain lower back, legs, feet, and left hip which is chronic and continuos. I Had my ACDF on August 3, 2010 so I am a glutton for punishment.

I am praying that this will provide some much needed relief or I don't know what I'm going to do. Pain medications do help a great deal, but far from complete and pain is getting worse. Just doing very simple things like sitting, standing, or bending can add to the pain significately. When I sit I have to lean in a semi lying down position. Standing for over 5 minutes starts some pretty good pain break through the meds in my left hip and left leg and so on.

Prayers will be appreciated and anyone who has advice or has been through a similar surgery please give me an idea what to expect afterwards. He is NOT doing a fusion, somehow going to take pressure off the troubled nerves that are being compromised.

Hope to hear from you guys, fairly nervous at this point.

God Bless
    AL S
  • I had my Pre-Op testing today and I passed yippie ;(.
    So the 14th is a go. I have to be there at 5 AM but they promised me something in my IV for anxiety and hopefully pain prior to surgery. Those hospital cots make my pain go up something awful, I know unfortunately I have been in the ER numerous times in the last 3 years when I just couldn't bear it anymore.

To all others who have had recent surgeries my prayers for a continued and speedy recovery are with you.

To those with me in December, I feel like I'm reaching the top of a giant roller coaster the slow climb and the sudden G force from the fall. Of course the anticipation of the climb and what awaits is what is scaring me. Some love roller coasters, I don't (anymore). Anxiety and depression have kicked my butt.

Well keep me and everyone updated and I'll try to do the same. Praying for awesome outcomes for us all. God Bless.

AL S
  • Oh Ms. Lisa,

So sorry to hear that! My *cough* so called family is that way, and yeah it bites big-time. Just keep that knowledge in your bonnet for when THEY need help or support! "Oh, um...I'm sorry, is this the same family that ignored me with major spine surgery? Bye-bye!" That is pretty much what I had to do with my family. It was a lot more mentally healthy for me to just brake away than get upset with their lack of support.

We are HERE for you Ms. Lisa! I know you know that, but wanted to toss that to your feet woman!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I am with you all the way. You will do fine in surgery and I will be there for you after! Except maybe the 13th, I will be kind of out of it! But take some deep breaths and know we are here for you! Good Luck and talk soon!
  • Hi Lisa, thanks for the kind words, it's the after I'm really worried about. I've read different accounts of this type of surgery and the after sounds rough and as i said I suffer from anxiety and panic disorder which makes the waiting for the big day really fun too.

Believe it or not your words of encouragement really made me feel better and i will hope to hear from you after.

AL S
  • Good luck Lisa, I just read your post and I'm sorry your family is letting you down. You will be in my prayers and many others here be assured. I hope i hear a report from you if possible before I leave for the hospital at 4:15 am the morning of the 14th.

Good Luck, talk to you soon
    AL S
  • Well, tomorow is the big day for me! I'm nervous and excited! I started to take less of my pain meds and right now I can't wait to get on that table to be knocked out! I don't think I can take Advil today right? I have some valium that my doctor gave me thank-god!!. Today, I have to go downtown to my lawyers then I thought I would get a pedicure and watch a couple of episods of Modern Family or Criminal Minds!

If I miss any of you guys while I'm in hospital, GOOD LUCK! I'll be looking forward to share our experiences together..

Love to all...
  • Two of my best friends are planning parties for the weekend I'm going to be in the hospital! One is a hannukah party and the other is a kid birthday. I got invites and was like... uh, yeah, I guess you forgot :(
  • Hi Lisa,

Didn't know your procedure was so soon. You will be in my prayers and I'm sure everything will go well.Try to have a good day and enjoy the TV shows and pedicure. I watch both of those shows as well and they are a good distraction.

Take care and remember what you told me.

Good Luck and God Bless,

AL S
  • After alot of indecision and confronting my fears with the help of this board - I am a go for ALIF on the 13th. I am setting things up for the recovery period and trying to keep a good positive attitude!

I never had any real problems withpain in my back - I am doing this because of the serious problems with pain and weakness in my leg that has virtually stopped me from living my life.

I am seven weeks quit of my 32 year smoking habit and have started taking vitamins to promote healing - what else can I do?
  • My doctor did something that threw me a curve ball. I was scheduled for TDR (C4-5) and ACDF (C 3-4)on 12/13. I went to the brace fitting last week and he has changed his mind! He wants to do a necleoplasty. I took 3 months to decide on surgery and now I have to get use to the idea that he wants to try one more thing before surgery.
    So good that surgery is postponed but bad that my pain is getting very bad and now I have to wait to do this procedure.
  • Do you mean nucleoplasty?

This looks like a very interesting treatment. Please let us know how that turns out!
  • I have finished all of my pre-op appointments and am very healthy - almost two months past my quit smoking date which makes all of the Docs very happy! I have been concentrating on reading all of the positive stories and am placing my faith in the surgeons (neuro and vascular) to make sure that my open ALIF L5-S1 with a bone graft goes well on Monday. Just waiting for the call with a time for surgery so I can make plans for the night before as I have an hour drive and you never know what the weather will be in Wisconsin.
  • I have finished all of my pre-op appointments and am very healthy - almost two months past my quit smoking date which makes all of the Docs very happy! I have been concentrating on reading all of the positive stories and am placing my faith in the surgeons (neuro and vascular) to make sure that my open ALIF L5-S1 with a bone graft goes well on Monday. Just waiting for the call with a time for surgery so I can make plans for the night before as I have an hour drive and you never know what the weather will be in Wisconsin.