Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

They're RUSHING me!!!!

fishinwidow98ffishinwidow98 Posts: 54
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am a workers comp case. I say this because I am starting to believe that that alone dictates the type of care I am/have been receiving. Here's the deal-

I had a 360* double level fusion L-4 to S-1 on September 2 of this year. I have already been completely taken off of my Fentanyl patches and muscle relaxers. I am only on Percocet 10/325 and Neurontin 300. I am ok with what I have but I take up to 7 Percocet a day on "off" days although normally I take 4-5 which I feel is exceptionally reasonable considering what I had done. I have MAJOR pain in my left hip and since my surgery I have a new hip pain in my right hip. My left leg still goes numb and tingles. My back feels like someone took a jack-hammer to my spine (which in essence...) Anyway I go back to the doc the 22nd of Nov. I called today to get a refill for my Percocet and the nurse told me that the doc was very hesitant to refill but he agreed to but I need to be aware that when I come in next visit that they are taking me off and putting me on Lortab. Lortab and I do NOT get along and this doc KNOWS that.

Look- I hurt a lot more than I feel like I should some days but for the most part.... I read pre-op and found that recovery for a single level fusion is 6-18 months recovery. I am not even 3 months in on a double level fusion and in pain- and I feel like I am being patronized. I have consistently been yanked off of effective pain medications and put on lesser meds. I continue to adjust and do my best with what I have but I am getting frustrated. Anyone have ANYTHING they can tell me? Am I losing my mind or am I legitimately valid in my concerns? I don't know what to do at this point. I believe I am going to be getting an attorney due to the fact that I feel like I am being forced out of recovery too soon but other than that what can I do to protect myself from eminent pain? Ideas?

• I have not seen a lot of WC information on here. I really think people are afraid to post.
    My first WC back surgery went great-I never felt like I was not receiving proper care. Things went well and I returned to work.
    Not so true with my second spinal surgery several years later. I felt like I was discharged from the hospital too soon after the surgery, and had a lot of post op problems. I felt like I was always trying to prove that I was telling the truth. It still seems like a battle everytime I try to get things done. I don't want to be disabled, I don't want to continue on pain meds--I just want the pain to go away, no matter what it takes. I would do anything to be pain free, or even just to have the pain decreased to the level it was before the surgery.
    You probably should get a lawyer. I did not. I trusted the medical community to take care of the problems, and then woke up one day and it was too late to take legal action. I would hate to see that happen to anyone else.
  • I agree with out of control. The WC system sadly is not always in your best interest corner :(

Think about this if you keep going along with their game plan and then suddenly start to make noises they will be like "well you have been fine this long, whats the big deal".

I would make noise NOW. Complain often and document your complaints, concerns, talks you have with ANYONE in the medical field and WC system. Appts you try to make, talks you have with any of them in person on phone etc.

I would also keep your own pain journal and be sure to show it to all the above people.

Please keep us posted. :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Thank you so much for the encouragement. The last 2 posts have been MOST helpful. I DID get an attorney because I felt like my doc was pushing me out the door. I am waiting to hear back on aquatic therapy (which makes me happy) and he did continue me on my pain meds. This was AFTER the lawyer contacted them though so who knows if it is because it's in my best interest or because it's what I truly need. I think you are right that a lot of people are afraid to talk about WC due to pending litigation and what-not. I can understand that but who are we supposed to turn to if he there is no one else available. The docs are clearly on the side of my employer (esp since they are also employed by my employer) and my lawyer has dollar signs in his eyes. Even though it is allegedly the lawyers job to make sure I get cared for without being tossed out too soon, it is not what they do their job for. They are not in the business of "caring" for people the way the medical community should be. It's frustrating. Knowing there is at LEAST one person on this site willing to admit they understand where I am coming from helps a lot. I just want to be better and back to my life. I don't feel like I need to "fight the system" to do that. Thanks again for understanding.