Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical mri question

tomw47ttomw47 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I every one new to site! Love it!
My question is this-should I or will I likely face surgery due to a 2mm bulge in C5/C6 that's just barely touching the spinal cord? The only reason I even got an mri was because my Dr. got real leery of poking around in my right shoulder again until he could rule out spine issues which of course didn't happen.Still waiting for raf to get to local spine clinic. The last two sentences in the mri report recommended decompression in the neck which I assume can mean many things according to severity of damage right? Then the last sentence said that further study was indicated at the C/7 T/1.
Honestly my pain comes more from my upperback/shoulderblades and even my chest!
I have injury history from 7 yrs old were as I fell of a high slide and somehow I crashed against my upperback and there was a vague indication of vertebral horn damage and thats as far as it went.
I could go on and on but Im just way worried that Im opening pandoras box once I start being diagnosed with this and that. With me it's always more than one thing when body parts get screwed up.
Gotta go but Im reading everything I can on this site.
Once again Im the newby to the site but not to chronic pain!!!
Suffering is inevitable but misery is optional!! Sometimes I've wondered about that??
advertisement

Comments

• Tom,

First off, Welcome to Spine Health!!! There is a search box at the top of the page that might help you research any of the terms or words on your reports don't make sense.

To your question. Before your doctor offers surgery, he/she is going to give you all the testing, and physical exam along with going over in depth what you are experiencing. The MRI alone isn't in most cases the 'decision' maker for surgery. You could take 2 people, or 10 for that matter, MRI their spine. Lets say half come back with huge hernias, but have NO symptoms, the other half their MRI's show tiny protrusions, and small hernia's, but these guys are exhibiting all manner of symptoms.

I gave that example so you don't "over-read" into it. It is best if you wait and see what your doctor has to say. I've had "recommendations" from the radiologist who read my MRI's, and so far, my doctor reads the films himself, and makes *his* determination based on me, my exams and other tests.

Also, something else to look at or realize. Sometimes when the hernia's are small, conservative treatment is offered in an effort to allow the best environment for the disk to heal on its own first in many cases. I know it is probably pretty hard, but don't try to put "the cart before the horse", it will drive you nuts...okay? Again, Welcome aboard!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.